• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proofs for God/Religion. Got a good one?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You're doing this again. First you say that it's easy to just use snippets in my summary and then you say that I won't get more than snippets as if it is my fault.
You're doing this again. First you log onto a non-scholarly forum with a question that does not invite deep commentary. And then you accuse me of giving you naught but snippets, as if it's my fault.
an argument would indicate God.
In what way do theological constructs (such as liberation theology or environmental theology) not indicate God?
As the person who created the thread, I'd say yes, it was created to point to God.
I'd say it was created to point to God's nonexistence. You presented us with empirical parameters for something that is not empirically evident.
So can you indicate the existence of a God?
I gave you a good example of environmental theology. What more do you want?
Oh, wait! You're still hanging around expecting some kind of empirical proof, even though you said you didn't care about proof. No matter how you disguise it, you're still setting forth empirical parameters for something that isn't empirically evident.
Proof - yes, I said it. But we've discredited that. So we move on.
I don't think you have. And I don't think you intend to do so. I think you're more hung up on proof than you like to admit.
You would expect an argument for God to indicate or point to his existence.
And so they do!
What did I misunderstand?
Power structures have to fall when they endanger the well-being of the created order. Otherwise the created order does not survive. It's not particularly tied to some arbitrary "God rule."
God's nature - If there is some way I know God's nature then that would point to his existence
Same with God's will.
Ever experience love? Or life?
So what I was saying is that in the absence of all these there is nothing that points me towards God. I'm not looking for proof, just an indication or a sign
Indications and signs depend upon interpretation. You're acting as if it's God's fault that you don't see God. Perhaps the fault is yours...
Now this is interesting. In what way is God inside me? If you were to demonstrate this then that would point to God. I'm open to ideas
In what way is God notinside you? You breathe. You live. God is life and breath. You exist and have particularity. God becomes particular in humanity. That's the whole point of the Jesus Event: God becoming particular in humanity.

But it's up to you to interpret that indication -- not God -- not me.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
I have a closed mind? Ignoring another personal accusition made by you.
Well my friend if you was a muslim, you would know that God ordered us to be patient, and to have trust in him as he leads us to the better path and for a better life and afterlife. And in a specific verse in the Qur'an, he order us to never give up on his mercy, and those who do will eventualy loose. Your intentions through prayers were to releif your mother, and to make things better but God have the greater wisdom and his will is wiser then anyone's will. When my prayer isn't answered the way I want too, it's usualy answered in a better way then I had on my mind, and that shows how God is all merciful and all loving. And from many personal experiences, sometimes things get tight and I have nowhere to go, and nobody to support, and prayers always worked for me, and things that were complicated just magicaly become simple and everything gets fixed and life go with ease. If you gave up on God once, review yourself again, and make sure that that choice is the best you can take. because God would never give up on someone who's calling his name and seek him.

I trusted him. It didn't work. I thought about it. I saw nothing that pointed to his existence. I moved on. Nice talking with you.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
In what way do theological constructs (such as liberation theology or environmental theology) not indicate God?

In the same way that non-theological constructs don't not indicate God. Just because you base a movement around God and it works, doesn't mean it shows God exists. Just as if you don't base a construct around God and it works it doesn't mean it points to God not existing.

Power structures have to fall when they endanger the well-being of the created order. Otherwise the created order does not survive. It's not particularly tied to some arbitrary "God rule."

You explain power structures falling with an incredibly complex being working behind the scenes. I explain it with what I see (humans getting fed up.) WE'll have to move on

Ever experience love? Or life?

Yes. Never have I attributed love or life to God. I attribute love to emotion and chemicals in the brain (on a scientific level) and life as an experience. Sure love is all fine and dandy but it doesn't indicate God for me.

Indications and signs depend upon interpretation. You're acting as if it's God's fault that you don't see God. Perhaps the fault is yours...

Yes, while we're here. Why doesn't God make himself more apparent? He always works through people. That just makes it easier to claim people did it themselves, without God. He moves in mysterious ways. Why is god such an enigma? What would be so bad about him making himself known? It seems he likes being mysterious, playing hide and seek. Of course it's my fault. Silly me, I want evidence in order for me to devote portions of my life to him. What kind of absurd notion is that?

In what way is God notinside you? You breathe. You live. God is life and breath. You exist and have particularity. God becomes particular in humanity. That's the whole point of the Jesus Event: God becoming particular in humanity.

You don't have a basis for saying God is life and breath. You can only make that claim from within a religion or having already had the belief.

Andy12

I like Pascal's argument for believing in God.

He couldn't prove whether or not God existed or not, so he chose to believe in him anyway since if God does exist, it would have bad consequences for him if he didn't believe in him

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard

He couldn't prove whether or not God existed or not, so he chose to believe in him anyway since if God does exist, it would have bad consequences for him if he didn't believe in him

I'm sure God likes people betting on his existence. And it isn't true belief anyway, it's betting belief

"Yes God, the only reason for my belief in you is because I thought it would pay off" - doesn't sound good

Because devoting vast amounts life to church and prayer isn't a negative effect?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic

Unfortunately, Pascal failed to consider the God who considers pedantic logicians sinners. :D

sojourner

Just because you base a movement around God and it works, doesn't mean it shows God exists. Just as if you don't base a construct around God and it works it doesn't mean it points to God not existing.
So, in other words, it is about proof. You're accusing me of not providing "proof of God," when I CLEARLY stated at the outset that there was none.

Arguments for God don't "show (prove) God exists." They assume God exists, at least for purposes of the particular argument. That's what theology is: talking about God. The efficacy of the construct isn't meant to "prove" God's existence. It's meant to improve our lives.
You explain power structures falling with an incredibly complex being working behind the scenes.
My argument here is not that "God causes structures to fall" -- even through human agency. My assertion is that, given a God whose attributes are life, love, freedom, equity, we can see such attributes at work through the actions of humanity, and that it is that humanity that provides a "rear-view" of God. When power structures that are life-taking, loveless, oppressive and unjust topple, it's because human beings who are tuned into life, love, freedom and equity have caused them to topple, and that very action points to the strength of those attributes present in the created order -- those attributes that we call "God."
Yes. Never have I attributed love or life to God.
And this is my fault in what way?
I attribute love to emotion and chemicals in the brain (on a scientific level) and life as an experience. Sure love is all fine and dandy but it doesn't indicate God for me.
And I'm sure that, when you're in the throes of passion, all you think about is the chemical processes and reactions going on in your body. The emotion you feel and the passion you experience goes completely unnoticed.
When you look at a painting, all you think about is the chemicals that made up the paint, and how light waves interact to produce colors that suggest form, and how that form stimulates certain impulses in the brain. The fact that it's stunning goes right over your head.

No wonder, no speculation, no expansion of awareness. No joy in the moment.

If that's the case, then I posit that you have not, in fact, experienced life. Or love. You have merely apprehended them from a distance.

If you have let the joy and wonder capture you, if you have speculated and wondered and expanded your awareness, and you do not call it "God," then might I suggest that we're simply arguing semantics here?
Yes, while we're here. Why doesn't God make himself more apparent? He always works through people. That just makes it easier to claim people did it themselves, without God. He moves in mysterious ways. Why is god such an enigma? What would be so bad about him making himself known? It seems he likes being mysterious, playing hide and seek. Of course it's my fault. Silly me, I want evidence in order for me to devote portions of my life to him. What kind of absurd notion is that?
And you don't think believers struggle with these questions??? This isn't about blind faith, my boy, it's about discovery. It's about stepping into the Abyss and letting yourself wonder at the vastness and incomprehensibility that lies beyond your ken. Instead of blaming God for that vastness and incomprehensibility, why not just live with the mystery and keep struggling toward it? That's what the life of faith is! (Whether you call it "God" or not.)
You don't have a basis for saying God is life and breath. You can only make that claim from within a religion or having already had the belief.
So tradition, culture, intuition are a basis -- just not a "proper" basis?
There is basis for that claim, as you just named. And that basis is valid, because it is part of human experience.
God (at least for me) is not so much an observable particularity as God is life and creation. God is an attitudinal proposition and not an apprehensive proposition.

Your problem here is that even though you continue to say that "proof is unimportant," you still long for proof, as your diatribe here in this post indicates. There is no proof. There is only mind-set, attitude, faith. That's good enough for me. I choose to cloak my awareness and my experience of creation in a construct of "God." How is that perspective any less reasonable or "blind" than cloaking one's awareness and experience in a construct of chemical reactions?

sojourner

I'm sure God likes people betting on his existence. And it isn't true belief anyway, it's betting belief

"Yes God, the only reason for my belief in you is because I thought it would pay off" - doesn't sound good

Because devoting vast amounts life to church and prayer isn't a negative effect?
I agree. Paschal's Wager sounds good on the surface, but it falls short of the mark in so many ways, not the least of which is the abject self-centeredness of the whole thing -- the "What may be in it for me?"

sojourner

BTW, it just struck me:
If you live in London, wouldn't you be an english muffn8or (as opposed, say, to a bran muffn8or)?

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
It is your fault actually.

Me: God's nature - If there is some way I know God's nature then that would point to his existence
Same with God's will.

You: Ever experience love? Or life?

Me: Yes. Never have I attributed love or life to God.

So it is your fault. You said that love and life point to God's nature. It didn't. Stop being so slippery.

This may be news to you, but I don't look at paintings and think about chemicals and light waves. I do experience joy. But if asked I know I can explain love and life through scientific means. It doesn't point to God. As an atheist you an't tell me god is life and breath. That means nothing.

As I say, if I wanted to I could attribute everything to God, or attribute it to natural occurrences. I choose the natural.

You attribute God with life, love, freedom, equity (though where you get these attributes I'll never know) and see that in the world and that shows the 'rear view' of God. Well I attribute unicorns with life, love, freedom, equity so now unicorns are as valid as God.

So we're now going in circles. I move that we end this debate. Agree to disagree. You see things and see God, I don't.

What I've learned - there is no proof, there is no argument, there is no knowledge of God, blind faith is needed. I need to plunge myself into the darkness and experience God. An experience that will always be inconclusive anyway. We cannot look at the face of God and know what the hell he is without dying. We must gaze at his rear end and marvel at that. All these conclusions are easily seen through our little snippet conversations.

And I think you'll find that the cloaking happens when you attribute love to God and other supernatural constructs and ignore what really goes on.

So now I'm closed to you. You can reply and have the last word but I won't reply. Thank you for posting. Focus on BottomlessThought when he replies. Maybe you'd like to summarise what we've discussed in your way, to give balance to this ending.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
BTW, it just struck me:
If you live in London, wouldn't you be an english muffn8or (as opposed, say, to a bran muffn8or)?

A nice sweet squishy muffin, I am. Perhaps a little burnt on the outside but on the inside I bear fruit and sweetness.

sojourner

So it is your fault. You said that love and life point to God's nature. It didn't.
Your having never attributed life and love to God isn't my fault. It is your fault, however. Don't be childish.
This may be news to you, but I don't look at paintings and think about chemicals and light waves. I do experience joy. But if asked I know I can explain love and life through scientific means. It doesn't point to God. As an atheist you an't tell me god is life and breath. That means nothing.
And whose fault is that...?
As I say, if I wanted to I could attribute everything to God, or attribute it to natural occurrences. I choose the natural.
It's not an either/or thing. God is nature.
You attribute God with life, love, freedom, equity (though where you get these attributes I'll never know) and see that in the world and that shows the 'rear view' of God. Well I attribute unicorns with life, love, freedom, equity so now unicorns are as valid as God.
You're confusing the particular with the universal.
What I've learned - there is no proof, there is no argument, there is no knowledge of God, blind faith is needed. I need to plunge myself into the darkness and experience God. An experience that will always be inconclusive anyway. We cannot look at the face of God and know what the hell he is without dying. We must gaze at his rear end and marvel at that. All these conclusions are easily seen through our little snippet conversations.
So we have a choice to make when faced with this insurmountable obstacle: We can either choose to give up and pout about it, or become insufferably cynical, or we can keep working with it, creating metaphors that help us cope with what we cannot know fully.
And I think you'll find that the cloaking happens when you attribute love to God and other supernatural constructs and ignore what really goes on.
Who said I "ignore what really goes on?" God is available through nature.
So now I'm closed to you. You can reply and have the last word but I won't reply. Thank you for posting. Focus on BottomlessThought when he replies. Maybe you'd like to summarise what we've discussed in your way, to give balance to this ending.
I wish I could impress upon you that this isn't about some supernatural-ignore-reality proposition. At least not for me.

sojourner

A nice sweet squishy muffin, I am. Perhaps a little burnt on the outside but on the inside I bear fruit and sweetness.

:drool:

English muffins and afternoon tea. Incontrovertible contributions of the British to society.

horsemanoftheapocolypse

child of humanity
as a big fan of muffins, i dont like to see two of them falling out. I can see what both of you (muffin80r and Sejourner) are saying, and i can see where you're both coming from, but lets not say that they are mutually exclusive. Just because one side has a God, and another has science, doesn't mean they can't combine. i think Sejourner (please correct me if i'm wrong here) is saying that things were all created by God, and we witness them as science. Evolution may just be God's way of carrying things out in the world, indirectly. we can only see the "back-side" of God through the result of his actions, but we can't actually "see" him do them (shame really, it would be quite a spectacle if i'm honest). Big bang theory may be right, but there needed to be the "ball" of energy at the start. well, personally, I dont know if there is a "being" or not, (and frankly, i dont think it actually matters), but i do reckon something "started it all off" whether this god is a good god or not, is a different matter (watch the news - should give at least some answers).
:beach:

sojourner

as a big fan of muffins, i dont like to see two of them falling out. I can see what both of you (muffin80r and Sejourner) are saying, and i can see where you're both coming from, but lets not say that they are mutually exclusive. Just because one side has a God, and another has science, doesn't mean they can't combine. i think Sejourner (please correct me if i'm wrong here) is saying that things were all created by God, and we witness them as science. Evolution may just be God's way of carrying things out in the world, indirectly. we can only see the "back-side" of God through the result of his actions, but we can't actually "see" him do them (shame really, it would be quite a spectacle if i'm honest). Big bang theory may be right, but there needed to be the "ball" of energy at the start. well, personally, I dont know if there is a "being" or not, (and frankly, i dont think it actually matters), but i do reckon something "started it all off" whether this god is a good god or not, is a different matter (watch the news - should give at least some answers).
:beach:
I agree with you more than you know, with the possible exception of God's Being not mattering. As a Christian, it matters to me. Nonetheless, I understand and respect your point. Theology and science not only can, but should work together. In the past, theology has excluded science and vice-versa. I think they need each other, just as humanity needs both, in order for our understanding to be whole.