• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proofs for God/Religion. Got a good one?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
God isn't natural he's supernatural. He certainly isn't both.
How can a non-existent being be anything at all -- even supernatural?

Be that as it may, what makes you think that God isn't natural? I look around at God's body -- the world -- and it seems just as natural as can be...

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
How can a non-existent being be anything at all -- even supernatural?

Be that as it may, what makes you think that God isn't natural? I look around at God's body -- the world -- and it seems just as natural as can be...

Oops, I was wrong. A person's view on God can be anything and everything. Shouldn't have applied a 'one argument fits all' approach :p

sojourner

Partially. A quilt has many individual pieces that are all necessary in order to complete the whole.

sojourner

Hehe :p

I could claim anything is God and that would be equally valid as you.

With great power comes great responsibility...
You didn't say a duvet is God. You said God is a duvet. That's an important distinction, and one which goes against your statement here.

If you're not really interested in other POVs, why did you begin the thread? Oh, yeah! To ultimately ridicule the believer for failure to provide proof.

You could at least come up with a new argument, because this one's been done to death and it stopped being entertaining for all but the most simple-minded long ago.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
You didn't say a duvet is God. You said God is a duvet. That's an important distinction, and one which goes against your statement here.

If you're not really interested in other POVs, why did you begin the thread? Oh, yeah! To ultimately ridicule the believer for failure to provide proof.

You could at least come up with a new argument, because this one's been done to death and it stopped being entertaining for all but the most simple-minded long ago.

I must be simple minded then. You learn something new every day. And if I wanted to I could say a duvet is God or all duvets are God and be equally valid. I am interested in other POVs but when when something is ridiculous I can't resist but capitalise on that opportunity. I don't need to come up with a new argument. I haven't claimed anything. But someone, and I have a shrewd idea who, has made a positive assertion about a certain transcendent, loving something

:canoe:

Tell me, do you like the word canoe?

Andy12

I don't see why Pascal's gambit doesnt count as an arguemnt for God. clearly Pascal meant to talk about the Christiain god rather than any other

sojourner

I must be simple minded then. You learn something new every day. And if I wanted to I could say a duvet is God or all duvets are God and be equally valid. I am interested in other POVs but when when something is ridiculous I can't resist but capitalise on that opportunity. I don't need to come up with a new argument. I haven't claimed anything. But someone, and I have a shrewd idea who, has made a positive assertion about a certain transcendent, loving something

:canoe:

Tell me, do you like the word canoe?
At least this "someone" is willing to take a stance -- even if it appears as ridiculous to "someone" else...

I think your "interest" only goes so far as divergent opinion makes good fodder for your ridicule.

There is a point at which theology stops being valid, and I think you know it.

See, this is why I was reluctant to say anything positively in the beginning, because I had the sneaking suspicion who you were going to turn out to be -- and I was right -- again. I can smell you people coming and going.

Trolling is against forum rules, BTW.

Andy12

At least this "someone" is willing to take a stance -- even if it appears as ridiculous to "someone" else...

I think your "interest" only goes so far as divergent opinion makes good fodder for your ridicule.

See, this is why I was reluctant to say anything positively in the beginning, because I had the sneaking suspicion who you were going to turn out to be -- and I was right -- again. I can smell you people coming and going.

seriously calm down. why cant we just be friends? because of a disagreement about god? thasts ridiculous

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard

I see how it is. You can be woolly and imprecise but I can't? Think all you like, darling, thinking things doesn't make them true.

Flip that round, maybe divergent opinion is ridiculous?

At what point does theology become ridiculous? What point are you even referencing?

I know trolling is against forum rules. I'm not trolling.

I think the word canoe, it has such a unique sonority and ring. The hard c followed by the soft, slightly nasal n before the elongating, soothing 'oo' sound. Maybe canoes are God, just my opinion. In fact, I'm going to research this; objects as deities. I understand some religions have statues that embody their deity. Sounds like a weekend of fun research :)

Last edited:

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
but as pascal is showing, you ought to believe in him, so that if he does exist, you wont be punished. pascal was not discussing the other gods so they dont apply
Then his argument in inapplicable, as it is only relavent for a situation in which either God does not exist, or only the Christian God exists. That is not the case.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
but as pascal is showing, you ought to believe in him, so that if he does exist, you wont be punished. pascal was not discussing the other gods so they dont apply

The point is that Pascal could lose in any case if he picks the wrong God. So if he picks the Christian God the Muslims might be right and he spends an eternity with a poker up his bottom.