• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pros and cons of attempts at perceiving many or all religions as pointing to the same conclusions

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
And the first passage on the site reads thus:
"Quoting directly from the scriptures of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Bahá'í, Buddhism, and others, Oneness: Great Principles Shared by all Religionsstrips away the superficial differences between faiths by showing that the great religious principles are expressed almost word for word in every religion."
http://www.onenessonline.com/
It is good, everybody here would agree and support it, believe me, and rest assured.
Regards

I disagree. Not every religion.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
And the 2nd Passage is:
The Golden Rule, Love Thy Neighbor, Speak Truth, It is More Blessed to Give than to Receive—these principles and more than sixty others are shown to be common to all religions.
Not only the revealed religions but even the unrevealed one would agree on it, and I think even the Atheism/Agnosticism/Skepticism/Humanism/Secularism also would happily adopt it
Agreed
Regards.

I disagree. I don't believe I should love all of my neighbours. I don't believe I should always speak the truth. I don't believe it is more blessed to give than to receive.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
The Golden Rule Man Does Not Live by Bread Alone
Love Thy Neighbor
Blessed To Forgive
There is One God
Speak Truth
More Blessed To Give To Receive
Honor the Elderly
Do Not Harm Anything
Keep Company With The Wise
World is Our Family
There Are Many Paths To God
As Ye Sow, So Shall Ye Reap
Seek and Ye Shall Find
Blessed Are the Peacemakers
God is Love
Honor Thy Father and Mother
We Are Made in the Image of God
Judge Not
The Peace That Passes All Understanding
Love Your Enemies
Thy Will Be Done
Wisdom Is More Precious than Riches
Prayers of the Religions

And still more, one could see them on the following site, I could not read them all but all seem to be OK:
Regards

I don't agree with all of these.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't think there are any pros to it. Not all religions believe the same things, they typically have widely varying after lives (if any at all), the nature of their deities vary, and they teach and promote different ideals, ethics, morals, and characteristics. Sometimes God is the end-all be-all and final word and authority over everything, sometimes the gods are beings of a higher existence who assist humans in their daily endeavors, and sometimes the deity does not get involved at all. You also do not need religion to learn peace, tolerance, and good will towards your fellow humans. It really does no good to try and pretend Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Satanism, and Asatruism all teach and promote the same goals and ideals because they don't.

vaguelyhumanoid

And the 2nd Passage is:
The Golden Rule, Love Thy Neighbor, Speak Truth, It is More Blessed to Give than to Receive—these principles and more than sixty others are shown to be common to all religions.
Not only the revealed religions but even the unrevealed one would agree on it, and I think even the Atheism/Agnosticism/Skepticism/Humanism/Secularism also would happily adopt it
Agreed
Regards.

I don't believe that we are made in God's image. I believe that we evolved alongside the gods, who are incorporeal presences that likely predate humanity but are still a part of the natural universe. A Buddhist does not necessarily believe we were created in God's image either, because gods are trapped in the wheel of samsara too. A Taoist wouldn't necessarily think we are made in God's image either, because Tao precedes the gods. This is what I don't like about the whole "oneness" idea - it erases polytheism and nontheist perspectives.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Which religions then, in your opinion, had founders who received Words of Revelation from Allaah?
To every people:
[35:25] Verily, We have sent thee with the truth, as a bearer of glad tidings and as a Warner; and there is no people to whom a Warner has not been sent.
http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=35&verse=24
Doesn't one believe in Quran, it is so clearly mentioned?.I think one just missed to read or understand it.Right? Please
Please name the people and the prophets/messengers/warners sent to them. Better prepare a list for benefit of everybody, please
Regards

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Quintessence Ji , ...

please excuse me going back to earlier in the conversation , but you raise points that interest me , ...

I just want to thank you for this thread. It expresses eloquently many of the reasons why perennialist thought drives me nuts: the inherent disrespectfulness involved in overwriting someone else's cultural narratives with universalism. I sometimes have a difficult time articulating to perennial thinkers why it is their perspective is offensive, in large part because it is made in good faith. It's a sort of erasure - a way of dealing with diversity by pretending it does not exist. Maybe that's all some people can do to be comfortable with diversity, but... well... I don't find it to be an optimal approach.

As I understand it Perenialist thought on one hand supports the ideals of both analitical and personal contemplation , on the other hand an empasiss on learning from the experience of eminent schollars or realised persons , this is not unlike the strictest ideals adhered to by many Hindu , Sikh , Buddhists and Sufis where empasiss is placed upon surrender to the Guru by whos blessing and association the student is systematicaly brought to a point of realisation , ...it is this realisation where ever it occurs which seems to support the notion that all beings ultimatly posess the same esential nature .

thus fron theVedic perspective @atanu Ji quotes what most Hindu happily accept despite their diverse cultural and historical traditions , ....

Rig Veda is quite emphatic on this point "Truth is one, sages give it different names".

or variously it is expressed by the analogy that there are many paths which lead to the top of the same mountain , ....this is what the Hindu cals Marga and Buddhists Magga ...path , method by which one attains enlightenment or knowledge of God , ....

so what of other religious traditions ?

is there not a universality in that the adept of each tradition is seeking enlightenment in some form or another ?
and given that we all face questions about life its meaning and its purpose at some time in our lives , could it not be said that each in his own way seeks Knowledge and understanding ?
furthermore do we not all seek some form of moral or ethical code that helps us to negociate the dilemas we inevitably face at some point in our lives , ....?

some might choose to deny the existance of God (singular) prefering to focus on aspects (plural) or personifications of wisdom , creation and order , ....some may wish to take a secular approach and insist that this wisdom and order must come from within , .....none the less the desire is the same , our nature is the same we seek the reasurance of Knowledge and the peace which comes from knowing , ...

thus the universalist is unperturbed by the differences of individual religions , as these differences arise due to the nature and diversity of each culture and each in their own way are in a constant state of flux due to the conditions each faces at any one point in time , yet there is an underlaying truth which motivates all traditions , and a reality understood by those that dedicate them selves to indepth and analitical personal examination , .....

was it Kabir that said , ......when I serch for God I find only myself , ..but when I search for myself I find only God , .....

universality in this respect is not Syncretism nor is it ''a way of dealing with diversity by pretending it does not exist''...it is accepting divercity , it is understanding that each need a different approach , that they need to make it in their own way , and that each need to celebrate life and Knowledge acording to their own understanding .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Luis ji

There are certainly those who think of religion as the practice of learning what God wants

and similarly those who use religion to understand what God is , ...this leads on to the question of our relationship with God , ......then to understanding our duty in respect to God , to others and to ourselves , ....

. I don't think there is much of a point in attempting to find out "which belief is true".

assuming that one is true assumes that others are false , this surely is a very dangerous position to hold , ...

Our religious duty does not involve finding out what is the true doctrine nearly as much as making our own valid, useful and true.

agreed , ..it would be a missinturpretation of many religions to take the stance of one being true and the remainder false , ....instead , yes Certainly we shoud search for truth where ever we find ourselves , .....

Last edited:

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
To every people:
[35:25] Verily, We have sent thee with the truth, as a bearer of glad tidings and as a Warner; and there is no people to whom a Warner has not been sent.
http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=35&verse=24
Doesn't one believe in Quran, it is so clearly mentioned?.I think one just missed to read or understand it.Right? Please
Please name the people and the prophets/messengers/warners sent to them. Better prepare a list for benefit of everybody, please
Regards

I asked about religions, not people to whom Prophets have been sent. Are you saying that the founders of all religions received Words of Revelation from Allaah?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I asked about religions, not people to whom Prophets have been sent. Are you saying that the founders of all religions received Words of Revelation from Allaah?
The name would be in the language that the prophet/messenger of G-d is sent:
[14:5] And We have not sent any Messenger except with the language of his people in order that he might make things clear to them. Then Allah lets go astray whom He wills, and guides whom He wills. And He is the Mighty, the Wise.
http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=14&verse=0
It is easy to understand in one's own language. Please
Regards

Last edited: