• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pros and cons of attempts at perceiving many or all religions as pointing to the same conclusions

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Do you think common beliefs lead to common morals? I don't think it works that way.
Peace be on you.
Ethics like:
Measure full weight, keep clean, be sympathetic, keep environment clean, humanity-care, no racial bias, etc etc......there are many common ethics which IMO came from basic religion [rights of God and people, Hereafter]

but

if currently one does not believe God or or believe many gods [IMO, a change-with-time from basic religion]

even then

society practices them anyway.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@DawudTalut , thanks for the reasonable reply.

If I may ask such a thing, what do you know of the origins of morality according to people who do not attribute it to Ibrahim's God?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why or how would it be suppressed? Morality does not really change a lot between Abrahamics and non-Abrahamics.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hi Luis,
Agreed. In this case, as I explained to paarsurrey above, the original teachings as far as we can discern do in fact deviate from paarsurrey's claim. But it makes perfect sense to me to value teachings on their own merits, rather than how well they reflect one specific person's earlier intent. I've long resonated with Buddhism because the general philosophy makes the most sense to me. I could never pick a specific Buddhist sect to fit into, as I both like and dislike prominent facets of both Theravadan and Mahayanist sects in general, let alone more specific schools.
One can believe in any religion to start with, then one can search/research to find the best in them. One shouldn't be a non-believer. Right?
Regards

syo

I am a person who thinks that all religions are correct. There are differences among religions, so what?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I am a person who thinks that all religions are correct. There are differences among religions, so what?
The difference could be removed/evened out or squared.
I agree with you. One should be a believer not a non-believer.
Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Instead of repeating, 'All religions are the same," what's wrong with 'All religions are good," or 'All religions have merit'.

Sees

Dragonslayer

If they are different but none of the differences matter to you, then you treat them all the same anyway theoretically. If you are not completely impartial and value-less then the differences aren't inconsequential and meaningless.

syo

If they are different but none of the differences matter to you, then you treat them all the same anyway theoretically. If you are not completely impartial and value-less then the differences aren't inconsequential and meaningless.
?

Are you saying that a different religion is a false religion?