• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prove you Exist.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
sandy whitelinger said
"Could someone please offer a sound logical argument that they, or anything for that matter, exists. I'm not looking for philosophy or reason just a well formulated logical argument."

Please forgive me if this has been already stated previously in this quite voluminous thread, but the short answer is that the onus is on those who would doubt the reality of their existence, to offer a sound and logical argument why they, or anything for that matter, does not exist, ...not the other way round. There is consensus that there is existence,... though certainly not as to the reality of that existence, and therefore logically it would follow that those who disagree with this general consensus would need to show us why they don't exist!

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
sandy whitelinger said
"Could someone please offer a sound logical argument that they, or anything for that matter, exists. I'm not looking for philosophy or reason just a well formulated logical argument."

Please forgive me if this has been already stated previously in this quite voluminous thread, but the short answer is that the onus is on those who would doubt the reality of their existence, to offer a sound and logical argument why they, or anything for that matter, does not exist, ...not the other way round. There is consensus that there is existence,... though certainly not as to the reality of that existence, and therefore logically it would follow that those who disagree with this general consensus would need to show us why they don't exist!
This is completely non-sensical to the op.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If you're not aware of the spinich stuck to your teeth does it exist?
To you, no; but you have to include the "to you" for it to make sense.

Similarly, if it doesn't exist "to you" can you "prove that it exists"... The "bacteria that cause tooth decay," for example, are "proven"to you by their effect.

Popeyesays

To you, no; but you have to include the "to you" for it to make sense.

Similarly, if it doesn't exist "to you" can you "prove that it exists"... The "bacteria that cause tooth decay," for example, are "proven"to you by their effect.

Actually, tooth decay is not proven by its effects. Infection, fester, gangrene etc., were not blamed on bacteria until the twentieth century.

Regards,
Scott

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Actually, tooth decay is not proven by its effects. Infection, fester, gangrene etc., were not blamed on bacteria until the twentieth century.

Regards,
Scott
I merely meant that the effect is "proven" by whatever we allocate to it as "the cause". Naturally, this will vary as information accumulates.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
You're not (or are you?) aware of the bacteria (mostly S. mutans) that cause tooth decay, but they're still there.
They are still there for you precisely because you are aware of them. They do not "exist" in the universe of someone who is not aware of them. Just as they didn't exist for you until you 'learned' about them. "Existence" is composed of information.

you interact with matter, and matter has proven itself to exist so aslong as you keep interacting with matter you exist

Bedlam

Improperly Undefined
This thread is a manifestation of my signature. Where has it been hiding?!

Either way, I'm just going to quote myself on this one.

*points down*

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
"Are you a figment of my imagination, or am I one of yours?"

from "Watch Closely Now"
sung by Kris Kristofferson's character in A Star is Born

20081226.jpg