• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prove you Exist.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
What would you say he/she/it is?
It varies. "God" is presented and thought about as a "thing" by many people, despite Scott's apparent objections.

If it is a noun, then "God" is a thing.

Is there a way to think of "God" as a "nouned" verb (a verb that has been grammatically transformed into a noun)?

logician

According to some religions "god" is very much a thing, i.e. not an entity or being, but "nature", "consciousness", "awareness", etc.

JamBar85

Master Designer
doppelgänger;1081434 said:
It varies. "God" is presented and thought about as a "thing" by many people, despite Scott's apparent objections.

If it is a noun, then "God" is a thing.

Is there a way to think of "God" as a "nouned" verb (a verb that has been grammatically transformed into a noun)?

I think either way people who believe in God believe him/she/it to be something. It depends on the induvidual.

Like logician said, it might not necesserily be a being of sorts but nature or consciousness etc.

JamBar85

Master Designer
doppelgänger;1081468 said:
I agree. If you say something "exists," you are necessarily referring to a noun with attributes, i.e. a thing. That's grammatically inescapable.

I think that goes for everything that people think exists. Whether it be themselves or anything else. It still exists one way or another.

I personally don't think theres not much juice left in this thread. After all it's about proving you exist. Even if we can't prove it the way someone wants, we know something exists for this to be happening.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Grammar itself presupposes static identities of things - i.e. "existence". A person who really wasn't operating off the assumption that things "exist" as they appear to exist would probably not even be able to use language.

But it is still valuable to engage such exercises because they liberate creativity from the generally useful illusion of static "reality."

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1081484 said:
Grammar itself presupposes static identities of things - i.e. "existence".

And grammar itself is not static! :slap:

Fluffy

A fool
sandy said:
that is a Red Herring. the contradiction to "I am thinking" is "Not-I is thinking" which still has what you are trying to prove, existence, applying to your premise.

If its impossible to apply any attribute to a term without also implying its existence then it is impossible to come up with a syllogism that proves existence since, as you say, it will be circular. However:
P1 If the existence of an attribute of a term is indubitable then the term's existence must also be indubitable (Inference from the above)
P2 The existence of the thoughts attributed to me is indubitable
C My existence is indubitable

This does not prove I exist but it does prove that whether or not I exist, doubting my existence (and my thoughts) is logically impossible (meaningless). Therefore, it removes a need for a proof of my existence because you can't meaningfully say anything less than "I exist".

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1081958 said:
Precisely . . . :flirt:

One wonders if he was full of crap before the lawyers got aholt of eem.;):D

crystalonyx

The starter of this thread, the intent of which was I believe that the existence of a supposed Jesus could not be disproven.