• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public displays of affection.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
So far as I'm aware, Luke, most of the scientists I've read on it believe it is innate. Which would imply it's been around for a very long time. The argument that it is innate stems from how widespread it is.

hmm... I'm honestly finding it difficult to believe that. Mostly because I don't personally have to much issue with a couple finding a quiet corner to go at it, even if it is within my line of sight. Naturally, I would not sit and watch, but rather grant them privacy by way of simply letting them be and not drawing attention to it. :shrug:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are those taboos innate? I.e. how long have they been around? At what point in human history did it become not ok to root in front of others? Other animals do it all the time? When did humans decide it wasn't ok?

I feel like it's become a taboo only relatively recently in the grand scheme of human history
Animals in general do tend to have instinctual mating rituals.

There is often a specific social structure or other aspects that lead to certain species having certain ways of mating. Sometimes this involves males fighting for alpha male status for 100% mating access, for example. Determining which members get to mate in a given group of animals and how they determine this seems to have an instinctual element to it, due to its consistency across populations of that species.

Humans probably have those too. Cultures and religions have imposed various sexual restrictions on themselves in different ways throughout history.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
hmm... I'm honestly finding it difficult to believe that. Mostly because I don't personally have to much issue with a couple finding a quiet corner to go at it, even if it is within my line of sight. Naturally, I would not sit and watch, but rather grant them privacy by way of simply letting them be and not drawing attention to it. :shrug:

Yes, but your values might not be representative of the majority.

My first wife liked to have sex in places where there was a chance we'd be discovered. Breaking the taboo added to her sense of excitement. But the taboo was still there. If it had not been there, she would not have gotten excited by breaking it.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Yes, but your values might not be representative of the majority.

My first wife liked to have sex in places where there was a chance we'd be discovered. Breaking the taboo added to her sense of excitement. But the taboo was still there. If it had not been there, she would not have gotten excited by breaking it.
you sir misunderstood it wasn't about getting caught in the act but getting caught with you.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I'm still not really convinced that sex in discoverable places is innately taboo. Culturally, yes definitely. But intrinsically as a part of human nature...?

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Not to pick on christianity, but as a massive influence on culture and society, they certainly haven't done anyone any favours in terms of the level of guilt every time someone might have a sexy thought. It's nit surprising therefore, that people would want to keep it behind closed doors so no one else could witness their shame...

Wherenextcolumbus

But why would you rather give them privacy? And why would they find a quiet corner? Even if it's outside, why would the couple still look for a private space?

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
But why would you rather give them privacy? And why would they find a quiet corner? Even if it's outside, why would the couple still look for a private space?

hey, hey... I'm not a perve, but neither am I a prude... :p

honestly, if I'm barbecuing with friends in my backyard, and a couple wants a root right there and then, I'm not gonna stop em if they're comfortable with it

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In England they used to say as long as it does not frighten the horses it is OK.

All over the country people Hold hands link arms an hug.
The length of a kiss seems to depend on the length of the relationship.
In clubs and in the country side, hands seem to have no bounds.
In the dim light of the evening sex is not unusual in parks or even in graveyards.

In formal places and occasions Holding hands and linking arms is correct for couples.
It is considers good manners to offer your arm when accompanying females of any age.

Wherenextcolumbus

hey, hey... I'm not a perve, but neither am I a prude... :p

honestly, if I'm barbecuing with friends in my backyard, and a couple wants a root right there and then, I'm not gonna stop em if they're comfortable with it

Haha! This is making me think of funny situations where a couple starts having sex.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm fine with some public displays of affection: holding hands, hugging, cuddling, snuggling, nuzzling, a kiss on the cheek, a smooch, kiss on the head, etc -- all very sweet. My wife's uncle said he thought it was sweet how my wife and I are still affectionate with one another. :3

But on the other hand... seeing people with tongues entwined or their hands in each other's pants is something I find to be gross, and think such things should be kept in private. I find it not to be immoral, but to be in bad taste, especially around others -- doing it in front of a single friend, grandparents, etc, especially in someone else's home, or in public, is something I find quite disrespectful; especially for the old dears.

Maybe it has something to do with me being quite modest and shy (or as I prefer to say it: cold and distant)?

And yet I have had sex outside in the woods. I'm such a hypocrite. :D
But then again, I don't like people, and I have an absolutely massive ego that comes from years of being awesome. :p

dust1n

Zindīq
But on the other hand... seeing people with tongues entwined or their hands in each other's pants is something I find to be gross, and think such things should be kept in private. I find it not to be immoral, but to be in bad taste, especially around others -- doing it in front of a single friend, grandparents, etc, especially in someone else's home, or in public, is something I find quite disrespectful; especially for the old dears.

Agreed. There are many ways to engage in PDA in bad taste. I never do it around a single person, that we are supposedly visiting with, or even at a party, around people. It makes me feel uncomfortable, let alone the third party.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Agreed. There are many ways to engage in PDA in bad taste. I never do it around a single person, that we are supposedly visiting with, or even at a party, around people. It makes me feel uncomfortable, let alone the third party.
I went off it when a then-friend of mine brought his girlfriend round mine for the first time, and they sat on my bed and started French kissing, and he dribbled on my bed. When I told him it was bad manners to do that, he called me a prude.

So I prudely evicted them from the house. :3

ron4711

Sex is like loud music in my opinion. Sometime you like it real loud and may want to share/show off. But other times it is disruptive and inappropriate.

dust1n

Zindīq
I went off it when a then-friend of mine brought his girlfriend round mine for the first time, and they sat on my bed and started French kissing, and he dribbled on my bed. When I told him it was bad manners to do that, he called me a prude.

Basically. Also, people's houses and beds and stuff are far from anyone's space but the owner of that house and bed. It's not cool to do it on people's stuff.

Then again... It's not like my hands are... completely clean in this regard. :eek:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Basically. Also, people's houses and beds and stuff are far from anyone's space but the owner of that house and bed. It's not cool to do it on people's stuff.

Then again... It's not like my hands are... completely clean in this regard. :eek:

You're a dirty bird you know that right :D.

If you perform acts of PDA, lewd conduct or indecent sexual activity in public you are doing it on government property technically. Am I not right?
Either way you are doing an action on somebodies property and I do not think one should be fondling their partners in City Hall yet alone the White House.

Aquitaine

Cheeky Git! If someone would've done that on my bed I'd have done the same!
Unless it was two girls :p

dust1n

Zindīq
You're a dirty bird you know that right :D.

If you perform acts of PDA, lewd conduct or indecent sexual activity in public you are doing it on government property technically. Am I not right?
Either way you are doing an action on somebodies property and I do not think one should be fondling their partners in City Hall yet alone the White House.

I care very little about nature being defined as someone's property in terms of where I can and might likely do it. Sex doesn't stain people's lawns like it does their fabrics.