• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Atheists...

nPeace

Veteran Member
That is inconsistent with what I have read of atheists, and that includes myself.
Right. Your box.

More irony from the "I live in a religious box" crowd. I have read many testimonies from people who went from being indifferent to religion to devout due to a life crisis, whether it was drug use, trauma, loss of a loved one, etc. The trauma forces folks to seek coping, and religion is a prevalent framework that can be used immediately. The traumatized can find support from religion and religious folks when needed, and the comfort they find is very influential on their beliefs. None of this is a reasoned conversion to religion, but an emotional depenency.
Uh huh. Your box. Your world. That obviously is all life and existence. Nothing exists outside of it.

I'm referring to folks like you who aren't sciencetists and reject science. You do so for religious reasons, not due to superior understanding of the facts. You are misrepresenting what I say deliberately, as if you are trying to deflect from the fact you reject science that your religious belief conflicts with.
Oh. It's folks like me. Identify those folks. Give some specific details.

More snarky defensiveness. Beware of asking atheists questions that hurt.
Hurt. Where? Are you feeling something? Dude. That's your ego.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is only evidence for things you cannot directly see. so why are you asking for proof.
You don't even do that with science, so there seems to be a catch. It looks like a strawman.
I do not believe in things that give no evidence of their presence, or cannot be seen or measured (Ghosts for example).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You do not believe in things that "cannot be seen"? Seriously?

One need not believe in things that can't be detected. If they can't be detected, they can't effect me.
They may exists but so what? If they can't affect me their existence doesn't matter.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's not hollow.

Then what fills it? The edge of the universe is like horizon. Does horizon have an edge?
Where do we fall from the edge? :)
Perhaps the universe is just a film, a balloon, there is no outside or inside of that, not even space.

images

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
One need not believe in things that can't be detected. If they can't be detected, they can't effect me.
They may exists but so what? If they can't affect me their existence doesn't matter.
Do you see a difference between detect and see? I asked about seeing. The poster said he does not believe in things that cannot be seen.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Because you cannot detect something does not mean it cannot harm you.
Many miners know that is a fact.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Do you see a difference between detect and see? I asked about seeing. The poster said he does not believe in things that cannot be seen.

That's not all they said. I assumed you were responding to what they posted.

nPeace

Veteran Member
So what can harm a miner which can't be detected?
This is why it's good to ask.

When you say cannot be detected, do you mean at the time you have the personnel on hand, and equipment to do so?
That would be like saying, before scientist had the equipment to detect X, it could not harm anyone, and their existence didn't matter.
However, that not true. The Higgs mattered to scientists, and any other particle, or form of energy out there, like Dark energy.
Also, an asteroid hurtling toward earth at a time scientists could not detect it, doesn't render the asteroid harmless and non-existent.

The point.
Absence of evidence, is not evidence of absence.​
Having an attitude that something doesn't exist on the basis that one presently cannot detect it, is to be closed minded.​

What can harm miners unless they have 'equipment' to detect it

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
So you reject empty vaccuum? What evidence is there that implies there is something rather than empty vaccuum? Cite experts.
And "empty vacuum" is "something".
Anthing that exists is nature.
How do you know? Do you know of everything that exists? Does an "empty vacuum" exist"

The problem is that your brain is being limited by your obsession with scientism, while you (and others here) are facing a philosophical question. So you simply are not capable of sensibly engaging in this discussion. All you can do is keep repeating scientism nonsense.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Oh. I should have mentioned that one should believe if they can detect the unseen. If you haven't, that's fine, but if others have, that's fine too. Do you disagree?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Then what fills it? The edge of the universe is like horizon. Does horizon have an edge?
Where do we fall from the edge? :)
Perhaps the universe is just a film, a balloon, there is no outside or inside of that, not even space.
Err, you could always have read the wiki page. It's full universe stuff, you know, stars, galaxies, clusters, that sort of thing.

The observable universe is a spherical region of the universe comprising all matter that can be observed from Earth or its space-based telescopes and exploratory probes at the present time, as the electromagnetic radiation from these objects has had time to reach the Solar System and Earth since the beginning of the cosmological expansion.