• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Atheists...

Heyo

Veteran Member
Please explain what do you mean with that?
Not only don't I know whether a god exists but neither do I know what a god is. And the believers don't know either. While they are all pretty sure that it exists, no two of them can agree upon what it is or what it wants.
So, how can I know? How can anyone know?
And the believers don't even want to know. They are content with believing, how wrong and lonely they may be in their belief. If they wanted to know they'd find a method similar to the scientific method which has shown to work exceptionally well. There is a scientific consensus about most basic theories and that consensus is global, independent of politics, culture or religion. That's because scientific knowledge is objective.
There is no consensus among the believers, nor a tendency towards it. In fact, even though their population is shrinking, the number of different religions and denominations increases.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Many atheists say so.
Well when you debate me stay focused on what I say.

Do you think some sort of God exists? If so, why? Who told you a God exists, and why did you believe them?

Are you an atheist and you don't think "God is not real"?
That is as conclusion. No theist in history has been able to demonstrate any God exists outside of human imagination, and I default to the logical default that any claim is by default untrue until shown to BE TRUE.

And let's note that if a theist claims a certain description of a God exists, and that description is factually impossible, a thinker can point it out to the believer, that their idea of God isn't possible. That happens quite a bit, and believers have learned to be more vague about what they think God is.

Do you think some sort of God exists? If so, why? Who told you a God exists, and why did you believe them?
I believe God is real. The reason why I believe is this Bible and this world as told in the Bible.
.... default to the logical default that any claim is by default untrue until shown to BE TRUE.
It would be nice, if you would hold that same standard for everything.
And let's note that if a theist claims a certain description of a God exists, and that description is factually impossible, a thinker can point it out to the believer, that their idea of God isn't possible.
Ok, then you better have really good proof for your claim.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well when you debate me stay focused on what I say.

That is as conclusion. No theist in history has been able to demonstrate any God exists outside of human imagination, and I default to the logical default that any claim is by default untrue until shown to BE TRUE.

And let's note that if a theist claims a certain description of a God exists, and that description is factually impossible, a thinker can point it out to the believer, that their idea of God isn't possible. That happens quite a bit, and believers have learned to be more vague about what they think God is.

How do you know that to be true?

Audie

Veteran Member
I believe God is real. The reason why I believe is this Bible and this world as told in the Bible.

Bible is full of nonsense so of course
I dont believe it.

Speaking of same standard Eze to prove
poof n flood is nonsense.

Your proof is in how you feel?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Who told you the Bible is true? Why did you believe them?
What don't I apply that standard to?
I didn't write a claim. I wrote a description of how critical thinkers respond to theists who claim some sort of God exists.

Just read what critical thinkers post, as they outline the reasoning of why religious believers are in error in what they believe.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Because we are capable of determining what is true versus false through various methods. If we can't be certain we can determine probability.

Well, you have left out unknown.
So how do you know that if something is not known to be true, that is untrue and not unknown?

Heyo

Veteran Member
You can know what is said in the Bible.
And the Koran and the Vedas and the other Bible and the Edda and the Upanishads and the I-Ching and the other Bible and ...
Then the question would be, do you believe it or not.
Or I could just wait. Today 99.99999999% of all people do not believe exactly what you believe and you can't convince them. Good ideas will survive and when the community of believers has reached a consensus what would be right to believe, I will look into it.
Now go and debate with your fellow believers what you would like to present to the unbelievers as a coherent model. When you're done, come back to me.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
And the Koran and the Vedas and the other Bible and the Edda and the Upanishads and the I-Ching and the other Bible and ...

Or I could just wait. Today 99.99999999% of all people do not believe exactly what you believe and you can't convince them. Good ideas will survive and when the community of believers has reached a consensus what would be right to believe, I will look into it.
Now go and debate with your fellow believers what you would like to present to the unbelievers as a coherent model. When you're done, come back to me.

I gave it a like but it needed an optimistic.

The Bible explains what a god is?
Yes, I recommend to read it. It tells for example:

God is a spirit, and the ones worshiping Him must worship in spirit and truth.
Joh. 4:24
The one who does not love has not known God, because God is love.
1 Joh. 4:8
And we have known and have believed the love which God has in us. God is love, and the one abiding in love abides in God, and God in him.
1 Joh. 4:16