• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the Non-Muslims

andys

Andys
What could possibly justify condemnation for the "crime" of not believing in sometning?
What you religious folk fail miserably at, among many other things, is not realizing that only one's actions can be right or wrong, hence moral or immoral.

I can believe in the tooth fairy, or not. There is simply nothing moral or immoral about that. Period.
Anyone who fails to comprehend something so obvious as that, is in dire need of "another think coming".

More serious are the dangerous ramifications of this way of thinking. Not only does it demote morality to the level of psychology, it has frightening implications for all of us, should one or more of these proponents gain power in society. Oh...wait a minute...that has already happened. We have 9/11 to remind us of that, don't we?

Last edited:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I didn't say that all evil people would be punnished in this life. I said in the next life.

Our definition of punishment is different.

wa:do

Ok, maybe we will try to go deeper about your beliefs somewhere else because i feel ignorant about what you believe in. I know now that you don't have written scriptures but do you even have a DIR at least? :p

We can't simply say "if i were God, i would ......" because that imply knowledge about the nature of God, his real attributes, qualities, capabilities, etc. You might say, if i were Obama, i would do so and so, but you can never say, if i were God, i would do so and so because you won't be sure that you can play this role, even hypothetically speaking. I'm not dodging the question, i just think it's unreasonable to play God's role by a human being. When i become aware of God's complete purpose behind our creation, hell, etc, then only i can be able to imagine would i might do if i were him. I don't know either how does it feel to create a beautiful being such as a human being.
I'm asking you, what would you do if it was up to you, not what would you do if you were God. Suppose there is no God. One day you find a magic stick in the woods that let's you send people to hell, if you want.

Would you send atheists and polytheists to hell forever?

Or, another possibility, suppose there is a God but he announces that he has decided to change his policy on hell. He has decided it will be up to you to decide. So whatever you decide, God will support that as the right decision.

Do you decide to send atheists and polytheists to hell forever?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry Tashan I missed your post # 455. Here is a brief (I hope) response. I've enjoyed hearing your views, as always. I will leave the final word to you.

Thank you so much for your patience, wisdom, and for being humble enough to hear what other people have to say without resorting to ridiculing their beliefs although you don't believe in them and might also think of them as a myth which societies came up with for generations. :)

I do not see how this is relevant. According to those passages bad people go to hell. Okay, we both already knew that your religion says that. But we both also know perfectly well that hell is not simply about being righteous or unrighteous, according to Islam polytheists, atheists, etc. go to hell no matter how generous they are, no matter how much they restrain anger, etc. A conviction in your head about the nature of the cosmos is enough to condemn you to hell according to Islam. That is thought crime by definition.

But none of those things have anything to do with the definition of thought crime. There is nothing in the definition that says thought crime must be talked about "through the entire book", must be unjustified, etc.

It depends on how you look at it. How people think of morality, right or wrong is different than the previous generations. In the past it was a crime to deny that earth is flat, it was a crime to be a witch, it was a crime to be black and do something which only the master "white man" should do, etc.

Nowadays, we have a different set of rules and morals but a day would come when a generation would think of our set of morals to be sick and backward.

For example, to me i think it's a thought crime when people condemn me when i speak about things which the West think of as a taboo which shouldn't be touched, but to Westerners, it's something obvious. You see, it's relative according to the set of morals one might hold.

The same can be said about God and the disbelief in him. It might be a thought crime "according to you", but something normal and obvious to God or to those who believe the same thing.

You know what, I would appreciate it if you could provide me with a specific definition of a "thought crime" because i might have understood the concept of a thought crime in a different way than you did.

But then again if God is all-powerful he could just snap his fingers and you would know why you are in hell, so actually carrying out the test is unnecessary unless God wants it to be necessary.

Furthermore, Ghandi or Martin Luther King, or the many disbelievers who are just as (or more) kind and generous as any Muslim person, might still wonder why they deserve to be in hell even after "living their choices".

Not according to God. God said in the Quran that those who knew Islam and knew God in a proper manner then refused to believe in him will definitely know what they have done, because only those who knew Islam and God in a proper way will enter hell of course.

I'm not sure I understand. All I am saying is, consider these two cases:
Case # 1: You are free to believe what you want.

Case # 2: You are free to believe what you want, but if you believe the wrong things, you will be punished.
These two cases are not the same. They are different. You are less free in Case # 2 than in Case # 1. Agreed?

Yeah, i agree with you. That's why i believe that our freedom is a relative freedom, not total freedom.

You are saying the people who are sent to hell "can never change no matter what". But I believe the passages from the Quran in the OP said quite clearly that the disbelievers will realize the "error of their ways" after they die, but they will be shown no mercy anyway. So according to your book it's not true that they will "never change no matter what".

Maybe you didn't read my complete set of arguments supported by verses from the Quran, or it might have been in other posts which you might have missed for not being directed at you.

I have mentioned that the non-believers would never change no matter what although knowing and admitting "in hell" that what they have done in this life was wrong. When i say they will not change, i mean if they got a chance to go back to life, if they have been given another chance.

Think of someone diagnosed of having cancer for being addicted to smoking. He might be frightened, and would admit how wrong it was to smoke heavily, but i think you would agree with me that many of those who *knew* how bad smoking is for their health will keep smoking after finishing their treatment and after being healed from that cancer. That's why God says in the Quran that people would knew their errors but if he allowed them to go back to their normal life, they would disbelieve in him all over and over and over again, because they have already made up their mind, and of course God mentioned other people who would change in this life from disbelief into belief in him. Don't confuse the two.

You can see another example--but very detailed--in post # 459.
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...9239-question-non-muslims-12.html#post1826290

I hope you will enjoy reading it. :)

Not just some people--all the millions and millions of people who were disbelievers at the time of their earthly death. That's what you are claiming and it is baseless, clearly many people who died at 30 would have changed their minds and become Muslim, conversely many would have left Islam, if they had lived to 75.

How your life end will determine your state. If someone knew when he/she will die, he would believe in God before dying, just in case .... but it doesn't work that way.

To answer your question, it depends on what you mean by "soul". The psychologist Stephen Pinker gives one brief answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_r6_GGv3U

Remember, I said I had certain feelings about God that you described, and you asked me why I think it's wrong to feel that way. I said it's not wrong to feel any way but "Muslims would feel indescribable emotions that reaffirm their faith whether or not Islam was actually true, just like Mormons, Catholics, etc."

Then please answer this question, why does a healthy brain dies while there is absolutely nothing wrong with either the brain or any other part of our body, including heart which can be used by another human being when this person die?

Another question, why a healthy normal young guy/girl get an unexplainable *scientifically* sudden heart attack?

I don't think it's strange that some cultures believe in heaven and hell, I simply think it's unlikely these beliefs are actually true because there is no evidence for them.

There have been no evidence at all in the past of things we have discovered recently. So i think it's not wise to claim that just because we didn't discover something until now, so that means it doesn't exist. I think it's an act of ignorance and arrogance to believe so, honestly, and i think you will agree with me on that, just like any sane person would do.

The story of Adam has no basis in biology or history ......

... yet. :D

Objective inquiry about anything cannot be objective if you are performing rituals several times a day repeating and reaffirming your conclusions to yourself. And again notice something, you are not really talking about "the wisdom behind rituals and repetitions" you are talking about your religion specifically, not the ancient, wise rituals and repetitions of other religions.

Ok, so maybe one has to be immoral in order to be objective enough on knowing whether he is really a moral person or not, and one has to do drugs in order to understand why drugs are bad for health, quite ... interesting.

I know what you gonna say now. You might think that's unfair comparison, because we are talking about *religion* with all the things that word imply, but i would answer you saying that your whole argument against religion have been materialstic so you can't complain now, don't you? ;)

I think you missed my point. :eek:If you re-read what I wrote I think you will see I did not make it sound that way at all, I think you are forming conclusions from what I said that are a lot more severe than the very mild claim I was making.

I just needed this clarification, no need to re-check what you have written because i believe you, thank you. :)

Peace and blessings,
Faisal

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm asking you, what would you do if it was up to you, not what would you do if you were God. Suppose there is no God. One day you find a magic stick in the woods that let's you send people to hell, if you want.

Would you send atheists and polytheists to hell forever?

Or, another possibility, suppose there is a God but he announces that he has decided to change his policy on hell. He has decided it will be up to you to decide. So whatever you decide, God will support that as the right decision.

Do you decide to send atheists and polytheists to hell forever?

No. Also, after re-checking the sources not4me has provided and supporting it by the Quran, i think it's more reasonable and more logical and more merciful that God would forgive everyone at the end and allow them to enter to heaven. Maybe that's why God described the kind of punishment people would receive in hell in details, to show that even one day in hell would feel like thousands of years, not to mention that a day in the hereafter, is not the same as our super fast earthly day.

I also understand now the point which Penguin was trying to make earlier when he mentioned that our torture forever in hell would defeat the purpose of punishing. I also believe it contradict with the title which God gave to himself, the most merciful.

Allow me to quote not4me here.

Some scholars said that Jahannam will remain and last for ages after that it will vanish and its dwellers will come out of it after they become purified from kufr by what they tasted in Hell.

They take the following verses as evidence:

"قَالَ ٱلنَّارُ مَثْوَاكُمْ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَآ إِلاَّ مَا شَآءَ ٱللَّهُ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ حَكِيمٌ عَليمٌ "
128. "He will say: "The Fire be your dwelling-place: you will dwell therein for ever, except as Allah willeth." for thy Lord is full of wisdom and knowledge."
Al-An'am, verse: 128

خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا مَا دَامَتِ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتُ وَٱلأَرْضُ إِلاَّ مَا شَآءَ رَبُّكَ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ فَعَّالٌ لِّمَا يُرِيدُ
106. Those who are wretched shall be in the Fire: There will be for them therein (nothing but) the heaving of sighs and sobs:
107. They will dwell therein for all the time that the heavens and the earth endure, except as thy Lord willeth: for thy Lord is the (sure) accomplisher of what He planneth." Hud.

They say in these two verses (in the blue color), there isn't what establishes eternity of Hell after using the exception; "except as thy Lord willeth" as He did in His saying about Paradise:

وَأَمَّا ٱلَّذِينَ سُعِدُواْ فَفِي ٱلْجَنَّةِ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا مَا دَامَتِ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتُ وَٱلأَرْضُ إِلاَّ مَا شَآءَ رَبُّكَ عَطَآءً غَيْرَ مَجْذُوذٍ
"108. And those who are blessed shall be in the Garden: They will dwell therein for all the time that the heavens and the earth endure, except as thy Lord willeth: a gift without break."
Hud.

The exception; "except as thy Lord willeth" was followed by what asserts eternity of Paradise; "a gift without break".

So they say that Paradise is eternal but Hell is not.

Also, they use the verse 23 in Surat
An-Naba' as evidence for what they say:
لاَّبِثِينَ فِيهَآ أَحْقَاباً
22. For the transgressors a place of destination:
23. They will dwell therein for ages."

Ahqaba (which is translated as ages) are limited time that will come to an end.

In addition, they use sayings of some companions like Abu hurayrah, Abdullah Ibn Mas'oud and Umar Ibnil-Khattab, which pointed to the same thing.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam/90991-lets-learn-something-new-about-our.html#post1842152

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Response: Not a little wonder at all. For with love comes fear. For we all fear the idea of hurting or upsetting one we love.

Usually we don't fear the one we love burning us in unimaginable torment for eternity, though. Just sayin'.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Well, that's why I like the other opinion in the Islamic thought that says hell is not eternal. Eternity of hell, Penguin, is a debatable issue and there are two different opinions regarding it. One that Tashan has presented which is more famous between Muslims and the other one that says hell will come to an end after all its dwellers become purified from their disbelief and sin. They drive their evidence from the Qur'an and the sayings of some companions of the prophet. But also reasoning says that if the punishment in this life is intended to refine the soul from its evil and discipline it, and God of this life is the same God of the hereafter and His mercy is in this life and the hereafter and even His mercy in the hereafter is much greater and He doesn't punish His creatures aimlessly; "What can Allah gain by your punishment, if ye are grateful and ye believe?" Qur'an, then there must be a wisdom behind the punishment of hell and it must be for His creatures' interests and then hell must be a means for a purpose and not a purpose itself and when it carries out its purpose, it comes to an end. Moreover, Allah's mercy encompasses every thing; as angels said "Our Lord! Thy Reach is over all things, in Mercy and Knowledge". Qur'an and thus His mercy must then encompass those who are punished in hell, and if they stayed there forever, it would mean His mercy didn't reach them.

I tried to convey that opinion which I find it beautiful and we can't say for sure what will happen but what I am sure of is that Allah is the Just and the Most Merciful.

Call me crazy, but I don't consider subjecting people to unimaginable torment for a really really long time to be merciful. But that's just me.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Response: One can not hurt another they love intentionally. However, since we are all capable of making mistakes, actions with no intent to hurt, it is very possible that one can committ such an act which in return can upset a loved one. Surely one who truly loves will forgive the mistake, but that does not mean that they won't feel a sense of disappointment or hurt from the act, depending on the act. It just simply means that they have forgiven the person.Thus fearing the idea of committing such acts is in fact a fear that coincides with love and is not a perversion of love.

Yes, probably one who truly loves would forgive the mistake without burning the lover for ever and ever in a lake of torture.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Usually we don't fear the one we love burning us in unimaginable torment for eternity, though. Just sayin'.

Call me crazy, but I don't consider subjecting people to unimaginable torment for a really really long time to be merciful. But that's just me.

Yes, probably one who truly loves would forgive the mistake without burning the lover for ever and ever in a lake of torture.

Havent you ever heard the abusive husband who says his wife deserved it?

If people think of the idea of hell to be cruel and scary, then they should try to avoid it by all possible means instead of ranting about how evil or unfair this concept is. Complaining about it won't make it to go away.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
If people think of the idea of hell to be cruel and scary, then they should try to avoid it by all possible means instead of ranting about how evil or unfair this concept is. Complaining about it won't cause it to go away or vanish.

Thanks, I don't need you to tell me what I should do. The conclusion remains, and you have not responded to it, that the mythical deity you worship is cruel beyond human imagination. I'm glad He doesn't exist.

My point is not that I'm actually worried about it. That would be funny. The point is that this fictional character whom you claim to be infinitely merciful is actually infinitely cruel.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If people think of the idea of hell to be cruel and scary, then they should try to avoid it by all possible means instead of ranting about how evil or unfair this concept is.
I am more inclined to say that descriptions of Hell worlds are more symptomatic of probable psychosis in the mind of the writer rather than actual realities, but hey, that's just me. Planning for likely possibilities is one thing, planning for unlikely probabilities is quite another. Me? I'm betting that it doesn't exist. If it does, I'm already doomed anyways. :)

Complaining about it won't make it to go away.
You make it sound as if Hell is actually real, TashaN.

Fatihah

Response: Agreed. And one who takes advantage of someone's love would definately not forgive unless they repent. And there are many who would have no remorse and would torture those who take advantage of their love. Such has been the case in cheating relationships. And surely you are familiar with Lorraina Bobbit.

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Response: Agreed. And one who takes advantage of someone's love would definately not forgive unless they repent. And there are many who would have no remorse and would torture those who take advantage of their love. Such has been the case in cheating relationships. And surely you are familiar with Lorraina Bobbit.
wait a tic... are you comparing God to Lorraina Bobbit??

wa:do

Kerr

If people think of the idea of hell to be cruel and scary, then they should try to avoid it by all possible means instead of ranting about how evil or unfair this concept is. Complaining about it won't make it to go away.
Not if you care about your own integrity you don´t. And not if you try to be a truly moral person.

Besides, saying hell exist does not make it so. Hell simply does not exist as I see it.