• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the Non-Muslims

Sahar

Here are some facts:

-A child who is molested is much more likely to grow up to be a child molester. This is just a fact.

-If you have alcoholism running in you family you are much more likely to become an alcoholic.

-A child who is raised in a loving home is much more likely to grow up to be loving.

You can believe what you want. But if you want your world view to be reflective of the reality of the real world you must except this as fact. Many people are born with the deck staked against them. Take a child who was exposed to alcohol in uterus and is born with fetal alcohol affect. Are you telling me that kid has a equal chance to live a moral life when he is unable to attach to any other human being?

I was born in a rich county with decent parents. I try to live a moral life. I don't know if this would be true if I was raised differently.
All of us experience different circumstances that make us most likely to be something but this is not an excuse for our immorality because basically we are being blessed with intellect that can reason and will that enable us to rebel against the circumstances. The idea is how every one reacts to the different circumstances and situations.
At any rate, every one is liable to bad experiences; rape, disease, loss of loved ones etc...and if we didn't control how to respond and react, these experiences can take us into dark places and deviated moral judgment.

All of us are not born with the same potentials.
Of course,
286. On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. ( Pray: ) "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith." (Quran 2:286)

That's why, God will judge people according to the circumstances which they were born into and what they been through. The test of this life is equal for everybody, but it's not the same. You might think that some people are "lucky" or "fortunate" and others aren't so, but the fact is that, God has created the rich and poor, the healthy and the sick, etc and he has placed a specific test for each one of them, and each one of them will be judged accordingly.

Sahar

Ok I think I get it... God has a sliding scale... Thanks for helping me understand your views.
Sliding scale?!! :sarcastic
So basically the poor and the rich should be asked equally if they shared a portion of their wealth with those in need!!! :sarcastic

Wannabe Yogi

All of us experience different circumstances that make us most likely to be something but this is not an excuse for our immorality because basically we are being blessed with intellect that can reason and will that enable us to rebel against the circumstances.

All of us are not able to reason to the same degree. Gandhi or Bishop Tutu has much greater control then lets say a person with a Psychotic disorder.

I agree with what ALBERT EINSTEIN said in his "CREDO" in 1932

I do not believe in free will. Schopenhauer's words: 'Man can do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wills,' accompany me in all situations throughout my life and reconcile me with the actions of others, even if they are rather painful to me. This awareness of the lack of free will keeps me from taking myself and my fellow men too seriously as acting and deciding individuals, and from losing my temper.

If I may modernize a Hindu analogy to make my point.

All of us are like dogs on a leash. Some are tethered to a pole with a long leash and others on a very short one. A few can even run free. To make the judgement that all of us have the same amount of free will, is just not reality. All we can hope is that we do our level best is to stretch that leash out as much as possible so we can practice our free will and do our best to serve our fellow humans and make an offering of it to God.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How so? How does it contradict my previous position? which position?
Your position that being in Hell forever could be just because the "sin" would continue forever.

Sin is a matter of choice or action. If all our choices and actions end with death, then so does sin.

You don't make the rules, God does. You been created by him, your body, soul, belong to him, and you are living on his land, planet earth, so you can't say God should do that or that.
Assuming God exists I'd probably be powerless to stop him, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on whether God's actions are right, does it?

We're not debating whether God is capable of sending a person to Hell; for the purposes of this discussion, it's a given that he is. What we are debating is whether it would be just to do so.

God said this life is a test and you either pass and enter heaven forever, or fail and enter hell, forever. There are consequences for your choices in this life. What you are claiming is similar to an argument which can be made by a thief "It took 1 hour to steal, why should i stay in prison for 10 years?" or like a murdered when he says "i killed that person within 20 minutes, why should i be locked up in prison till i die?".
No, it's more like assigning responsibility only on the basis of their own choices and actions.

AFAICT, the argument that forever in Hell can be a just punishment for a human crime goes something like this:

My mere existence offends God, so as long as my soul exist, God is right to make me suffer horribly.

I'm not arguing that a person who offends God isn't responsible for doing so initially. However, God is the one who sustains the person's existence. Even if human sin can be infinite, it's his decisions and actions that make the difference between a finite sin and an infinite one.

What kind of argument is that? This argument is the weakest one ever made by you.

This is like a murderer saying, my mom chose to raise me instead of dumping me, leaving me to die alone out of hunger, that's why i blame her for growing up and becoming a murderer.

No, it's like a homeowner saying "I watched the arsonist come into my home, pile kindling in the living room, strike a match, and light it. I watched the fire grow until it consumed the whole house. I knew how to stop the arsonist, but I stood by and did nothing. I knew how to put out the fire, but I didn't. Therefore, I bear part of the responsibility for the destruction of my house and the arsonist isn't responsible for paying me for its full value."

You think it's justice to leave evil people get away with what they have done in this life? To live on earth then just die?
No, I don't. But I think that's more just than torturing them for fun.

I think the most just situation would be one where the evil never happened in the first place.

God promised that every soul which has done something, will be judged accordingly. I think it's you who doesn't want for God to be just.
It's kind of a moot point for me, actually. I don't believe in God at all. To me, "not wanting God for to be just" would be like wanting my unicorn to be a particular colour.

However, I can look at a hypothetical situation and consider its ethical and moral implications. When I look at the doctrine of Hell, I see something that, if it were true, would be deeply immoral and unjust that can't be reconciled with the idea of a good and loving God, even hypothetically.

It's not an act of justice to let people just die after what they have done in life. Good people will be rewarded and evil people will suffer in hell.
True justice is restorative. No matter how much a person suffers in hell or for how long, whatever evil they did remains. Torturing a murderer won't bring his victims back from the dead or make their families miss them less.

True, and that's irrelevant because in Islam, we believe that anything which have to be done, must be done during this earthly life. No more work in the hereafter, whether it was good or evil.
But the question remains: what just purpose could there be for Hell? You agreeing that none of the normal purposes of punishment apply in the afterlife does nothing to answer this.

Also, i already have told you, God would punish some people in this life and give them a chance to repent and think, to change themselves, and believe in God, and do good.
So... people apparently have ample opportunity to avoid their "crime". This still doesn't mean that any brutal punishment is automatically just or right.

All this discussion and you still don't know why people will go to hell?
I know the classes of people that the Quran and various other scriptures say will go to Hell. I know that you say that this will be God's doing. However, I've yet to hear a convincing (or IMO valid) argument why it's just to do this.

Not yet, you are still alive and kicking. You still didn't finish your trip in this life. :)
But you get my point, right? If my moral sense is deemed so good that it would be just for me to be punished for choosing the "evil" options in my life, then it stands to reason that it's generally reliable. And it's this same moral sense that tells me that the concept of Hell is immoral.

Again, your parents, society and yourself make your moral senses, not God. And you keep repeating that hell is unjust as if this repetition would make your stance correct out of the blue.
Well, you haven't exactly provided me with any good arguments that would change my mind.

Sin, from the point of view of Islam, is a conscious and willful act that violates a commandment of God or the right of a fellow being. We cannot consider a person to be a sinner if he or she acts under duress or out of ignorance. Because, human accountability is an important aspect of justice as envisaged in Islam. And no one can be truly held accountable for an action he has no power to avoid. Because, God does not lay more burden on a human than he can bear.
Here's the question, then: how can a person perform "a conscious and willful act that violates a commandment of God or the right of a fellow being" if they don't know that this is what they're doing? Wilfulness requires knowledge.

For instance, I know full well that the Quran forbids the eating of pork; I eat it anyhow. But at the same time, I do not believe that the Quran comes from God at all. How can I wilfully "violate a commandment of God" when I don't believe that a particular commandment comes from God?

For that matter, how can I wilfully violate any commandment of a God I don't believe exists?

Ah. So then they're false... or at best half-true. Something like this would be more accurate:

(3) It's not that God has enforced this "nature" but it's that God knows that a specific person can never chance no matter what... since God has decided not to do what would be needed to make the person change.

(4) God knows that for some people, even if they lived for thousands or millions of years, they won't change without the help that God refuses to give them, while others can.

Kerr

Because it is cruel, unfair, unnecessary, pure sadism, cold, immoral, extreme lack of mercy and there are better ways.

Why should they deserve it? Because disbelief is a so called crime? Even if it is a crime, which it is not, and even if someone continues to disbelieve for all eternity, it does not warrant to end up in hell. After all it does not matter how many times someone shoplift, they still won´t get executed.

Kenect2

TashaN said:
We are not his favorite creatures, we are just one type of his creatures. He created us out of nothing and he can do whatever he want with us.

I understand you believe that. However, it still doesn't make any sense. Even if we are not very special, and some creator doesn't love us very much, it doesn't make any sense that it would punish Humans so severely. In fact, it seems rather petty, arrogant and hateful. Why would anyone worship such a hateful god that would do such a hateful thing to Humans?

Sorry Tashan I missed your post # 455. Here is a brief (I hope) response. I've enjoyed hearing your views, as always. I will leave the final word to you.

These verses are taken out of context. You need to go back to the verses, see the verses before it and after it to understand why this is not a thought crime. They deserved it for a valid reason. ...
I do not see how this is relevant. According to those passages bad people go to hell. Okay, we both already knew that your religion says that. But we both also know perfectly well that hell is not simply about being righteous or unrighteous, according to Islam polytheists, atheists, etc. go to hell no matter how generous they are, no matter how much they restrain anger, etc. A conviction in your head about the nature of the cosmos is enough to condemn you to hell according to Islam. That is thought crime by definition.

Tashan said:
It would a thought crime if he kept talking about punishment through the entire book, it would be a thought crime if he didn't justify it. It would be a thought crime if he forced you to do it. I can go on and on and on.
But none of those things have anything to do with the definition of thought crime. There is nothing in the definition that says thought crime must be talked about "through the entire book", must be unjustified, etc.

(1) Yes he does.

(2) True, but instead of waking up one day finding yourself in hell, because God knows you will end up being in hell, it's much more reasonable to live your choice, so you wouldn't wonder why you deserved to be in hell.
But then again if God is all-powerful he could just snap his fingers and you would know why you are in hell, so actually carrying out the test is unnecessary unless God wants it to be necessary.

Furthermore, Ghandi or Martin Luther King, or the many disbelievers who are just as (or more) kind and generous as any Muslim person, might still wonder why they deserve to be in hell even after "living their choices".

Tashan said:
Anyhow, for the sake of the argument, let us forget about the verse you have used to support what you are trying to reach at, and let us focus on your point in all that. You are saying that it wouldn't be that hard to figure out or create an imaginary god who support *free thinking* but at the same time threatening people in order to drive them to think in one direction, am i right?
I'm not sure I understand. All I am saying is, consider these two cases:
Case # 1: You are free to believe what you want.

Case # 2: You are free to believe what you want, but if you believe the wrong things, you will be punished.
These two cases are not the same. They are different. You are less free in Case # 2 than in Case # 1. Agreed?

Tashan said:
(3) It's not that God has enforced this "nature" but it's that God knows that a specific person can never chance no matter what.
You are saying the people who are sent to hell "can never change no matter what". But I believe the passages from the Quran in the OP said quite clearly that the disbelievers will realize the "error of their ways" after they die, but they will be shown no mercy anyway. So according to your book it's not true that they will "never change no matter what".

(4) God knows that for some people, even if they lived for thousands or millions of years, they won't change, while others can.
Not just some people--all the millions and millions of people who were disbelievers at the time of their earthly death. That's what you are claiming and it is baseless, clearly many people who died at 30 would have changed their minds and become Muslim, conversely many would have left Islam, if they had lived to 75.

I don't think it was necessary to make this post, because i already have said that one doesn't have to believe in God in order to understand what i'm talking about, but one has to study how Muslims "for instance" describe and perceive God, then from there, he can start making an informed decision about whether God is just or not.
Agreed, the same is true of any religion.

Tashan said:
We are not machines. Do you believe in something called "soul"? If you don't know even whether it does exist or not or how a soul can be affected or dealt with, then i think you are not qualified to judge whether *these feelings* are credible and real or not. It's a very big mistake to neglect, suppress, and ignore feelings and emotions when dealing with religion, which the soul play a major part in, which probably have prevented you and those who believe the way you do from seeing the truth about religion.
To answer your question, it depends on what you mean by "soul". The psychologist Stephen Pinker gives one brief answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_r6_GGv3U

Remember, I said I had certain feelings about God that you described, and you asked me why I think it's wrong to feel that way. I said it's not wrong to feel any way but "Muslims would feel indescribable emotions that reaffirm their faith whether or not Islam was actually true, just like Mormons, Catholics, etc."

Adam, the first man, knew about it, so i don't see why it's strange that people since then acknowledged this concept.
I don't think it's strange that some cultures believe in heaven and hell, I simply think it's unlikely these beliefs are actually true because there is no evidence for them. The story of Adam has no basis in biology or history, and no one except Muslims believe the Islamic religion pre-dated Muhammad, but that's another topic.

Inquiry about what? the wisdom behind rituals and repetitions?
Objective inquiry about anything cannot be objective if you are performing rituals several times a day repeating and reaffirming your conclusions to yourself. And again notice something, you are not really talking about "the wisdom behind rituals and repetitions" you are talking about your religion specifically, not the ancient, wise rituals and repetitions of other religions.

Not everything is critical in Islam. I guess you already know that.
I think you missed my point. :eek:
It can have influence on us because we want it to have influence on us. ... You make it sound as if we were an army of zombies walking on the streets aimlessly while repeating certain words.
If you re-read what I wrote I think you will see I did not make it sound that way at all, I think you are forming conclusions from what I said that are a lot more severe than the very mild claim I was making.

Sahar

Gandhi or Bishop Tutu has much greater control then lets say a person with a Psychotic disorder.
You are asked about what you are able to do, what you can bear. No one asked someone with paralysis of his lower limbs to run or someone with amnesia to recall events.
That's why Tashan quoted the Ayah that says:
On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear.

I am sure that not all those who respond negatively to their circumstances have psychosis. :shrug:

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Does the evil done by one who insulted another person or stole from him something can be compared to what Hitler did for instance? Is that what you mean by the argument of "Everyone has done evil at some point in their lives"? They are equal?

That doesn't make sense!
Not all evils are equal... but we have all made mistakes. Obviously the person who steals to feed his family is not the same as Hitler... but we all need to look at our lives objectively and see the impact we have on not just ourselves, but others as well.

In Islam, God is just, and he won't let evil people get away with it. God will judge them on the hereafter for what they did.
I'm not saying God isn't just... but not every crime deserves the same punishment. Part of justice is making the penalty fit the offense.

Eternal torture for all criminals is unjust.

wa:do

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
painted wolf-

Not only is justice making the penalty fit the offense, but mercy is also involved.
Scriptures say besides just that God is merciful.

According to Revelation 20:13,14 all in hell are delivered up. Only after all in hell are delivered up, then emptied-out hell dies a symbolic second death or no further existence.

Jesus was in hell (Acts (2:27,31). What did Jesus believe hell to be but a sleeping place until resurrection day. (RIP) Jesus would have believed that because of knowing the condition of the dead as brought out at Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalm 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4 that the dead sleep the deep sleep of death and are not conscious of anything.
That is why Jesus likened death to sleep at John 11:11.

Because of Jesus, Romans 6:7 mentions that death frees or acquits a person from sin.
The only exception are those of Matthew 12:32 and Hebrews 6:4-6.
Punishment, according to 2nd Thessalonians 1:9, is: everlasting destruction.

Psalm 92:7; 37:38; Proverbs 2:21,22; 10:30.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
whats a muhammudist?

were those texts of the gnostics revealed from god?
how can you know stuff about something
1) you cannot see
2) you most definately think doesn't exist
3) unless that something actually told you that stuff (i doubt this deamon/god thing actually told them of his evil plan though)
i dont know, they're crazy. they imagine things inside the cube. i guess they believe God told them.
Parable of the Metallic Cube

There is a metallic looking cube of an unknown substance measuring twelve inches on each side weighing only half a pound. All of your senses tell you that it is a metal. There is no way inside the cube and there are no signs of welds or any method of manufacture to suggest how it got to be this cube. There is no sound when it is shaken and any attempt to break into it or discover what might be inside is unsuccessful.
A person may say that it was made hollow because it’s light. This believer may believe this because it looks to them like it should be very heavy and it can’t possibly exist like this without being hollow and being made as a hollow cube. They believe all of this even though it appears to be a solid cube when examined. The fact that the cube is hollow makes it easier for them to believe that the heavy looking cube could actually be so light. It explains the cube’s existence and characteristics for them and satisfies their curiosity.
A nonbeliever may say that it is solid because it appears to be solid. There is no evidence that can suggest that the cube is hollow other than the weight. Since the substance that makes up the cube is unknown, they can easily suggest that the lightness of the cube is just a trait of the unknown substance. The fact that the cube definitely appears to be solid makes them not want to jump to any other conclusions if it can’t be proven that the cube is hollow. They also reject the believer's conclusion that the cube was made since there is nothing to suggest that it was manufactured.
The Agnostic accepts the cube as it is. There is no way of knowing what is inside without breaking the cube open and any attempts to do that so far have failed. It could be hollow, solid, or filled with some other unknown substance that makes it lighter, which may not have even occurred to the others. The Agnostic doesn’t really care to make a guess about what’s inside the cube or how it came to be this way because such a guess does not give them any beneficial knowledge about the cube. The Agnostic just knows that in fact nobody really knows!
AgnosticUniverse.org

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your position that being in Hell forever could be just because the "sin" would continue forever.

Sin is a matter of choice or action. If all our choices and actions end with death, then so does sin.

Death is just another state of our souls. The soul would leave the body and enter to a new stage, it is called "the life of barzakh". Ok, let me start from the beginning now not to confuse you.

In Islam, we believe that the soul will go through 3 stages:

1- This earthly life.
2- The Barzakh life. That's when we die, so we will stay at this stage till judgement day.
3- The after life. We will be resurrected where we will be able to regain our soul/body combination of living in the way we know it.

We can only work on the first life. On the Barzakh life we can't work anything either it was goodness or evil, but we will still be able to gain more deeds or more evil, based on the things we did in this life. If some people have dome lots of good things in life, they will be in a good condition in their graves and their deeds will increase if their work continue after their death. On the other hand, if someone did something evil and it causes so many people for instance to do the same thing, so he would be in a misrable statues and he will gain more bad deeds. Then on the hereafter, all type of work and all types of consequences will stop, and the only thing remaining would be judgemment.

Now, going back to your point, we human would think of your argument to be "logical" based on our relative and very limited experience in this life, because we are not aware yet about the second or third stage of living, although, many people believe in them, like me, and the Muslims who share the same views as me. But don't forget that we are talking about different set of rules, and compeletely different style of living.

The earthly judgement doesn't apply there. When i say totally different, i really mean it. In the hereafter, Allah will end something called "death", so no more death. We would remain on the last stage of our living, as God has designed it. No more death because we don't supposed to vanish from this universe unless God who brought us to this world want so.

When he created us, he decided that we will be there, forever, from the start, and that we will be sent on a temporary mission on earth, and based on the results will be admitted either to heaven, where our parents, Adam and Eve were living before, or to hell, where Satan would have succeed to drag us to it as the verses i have posted have shown.

So, i really can see your point clearly, that our sin should stop when we die, but that's not how it works, my friend. When we do something evil, we change something in this life, and when we change something, that means the life of others have changed because of it, that's why many people suffer in the Barzakh life, because there are consequences for what they have done in life, which affected the life of so many people on earth, and the bad deeds will increase because of that.

On the other hand, there are those who didn't harm anybody either physically or unphysically, and those people will still suffer in the Barzakh life for their disblief in God, but it will be nothing, compared to the punishment of the hereafter, and then on the heerafter they will be judged by God. Their sins stopped because God ended their life on earth, and has he allowed them to live for tousands of years, they would remain on their disbelief because God knows what we reveal and what we conceal, and he knows our past, present, and future. To him, it's not past, present, and future, because he is outside our limited space and time, that's why he can see it all.

Because he is merciful, he is showing us through a solid proof how we chose to live.

I think the most just situation would be one where the evil never happened in the first place.
So now you don't want God to create human beings who are capable of committing evil? Like angels you mean?

I can look at a hypothetical situation and consider its ethical and moral implications. When I look at the doctrine of Hell, I see something that, if it were true, would be deeply immoral and unjust that can't be reconciled with the idea of a good and loving God, even hypothetically....

I know the classes of people that the Quran and various other scriptures say will go to Hell. I know that you say that this will be God's doing. However, I've yet to hear a convincing (or IMO valid) argument why it's just to do this.

But you get my point, right? If my moral sense is deemed so good that it would be just for me to be punished for choosing the "evil" options in my life, then it stands to reason that it's generally reliable. And it's this same moral sense that tells me that the concept of Hell is immoral.

Well, you haven't exactly provided me with any good arguments that would change my mind.
Regarding my opinion of the moral sense issue, please refer to post # 549 at the link below:
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...9239-question-non-muslims-15.html#post1837557

You know what, I don't claim to have that super golden answer which would make everybody shout Aha! but maybe one day i would, who knows. For now, i'm just trying to share what i currently know about my religion, and i don't think i know better than this, at the moment about this specific thing you need me to answer for you.

Maybe those who have deep knowledge of the religion can give you the answer you are looking for, and they might not, but at least, they will know way better than me, because, believe it or not, i consider the information i personally have to be very basic and sometimes even shallow, compared to a well knowledgeable person in Islam.

That's why, if you are digging and looking for an answer that might change your mind, i don't think a discussion board like ours can do so, but what our discussion might do is to shed a light on some concepts, and while keeping an open mind, you can search more in depth of the things we mentioned here through books, articles, etc.

I'm just being honest with you because i'm not seeing any further progress in our discussion about whether hell is just or not because you are judging the concept based on your set of morals, and i'm judging it based on mine, and what might be moral to me, might be immoral to others.

I have read many books about morality and the more i read, the more i believe how relative morality is.

Nevertheless, i'll keep contributing to the parts of our discussion where i think i can be more useful at.

Here's the question, then: how can a person perform "a conscious and willful act that violates a commandment of God or the right of a fellow being" if they don't know that this is what they're doing? Wilfulness requires knowledge.

For instance, I know full well that the Quran forbids the eating of pork; I eat it anyhow. But at the same time, I do not believe that the Quran comes from God at all. How can I wilfully "violate a commandment of God" when I don't believe that a particular commandment comes from God?

For that matter, how can I wilfully violate any commandment of a God I don't believe exists?
Well, that's totally another issue. You know, one scholar said, there is no greater sins after disbelief, which means that it doesn't matter whether you eat pork or not or do any of the things Muslims consider to be a sin if you are not a Muslim on the first place, because disbelief is a greater sin than any other types of sins, so, something minor like eating pork would be the least of your concerns as a non-Muslim.

That's why when one embrace Islam, he will be cleaned from all the sins he/she has committed as a non-Muslim, because as you said, if one doesn't know God, so he wouldn't be able to know, obviously, that what he is doing considered to be wrong or not.

17. Allah accept the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance and repent soon afterwards; to them will Allah turn in mercy: For Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom.

18. Of no effect is the repentance of those who continue to do evil, until death faces one of them, and he says, "Now have I repented indeed;" nor of those who die rejecting Faith: for them have We prepared a punishment most grievous.(Quran 4:17-18)

Ah. So then they're false... or at best half-true. Something like this would be more accurate:

(3) It's not that God has enforced this "nature" but it's that God knows that a specific person can never change no matter what... since God has decided not to do what would be needed to make the person change.

(4) God knows that for some people, even if they lived for thousands or millions of years, they won't change without the help that God refuses to give them, while others can.
Well, you will have to ask for his help first.

60. And your Lord says: "Call on Me; I will answer your (Prayer): but those who are too arrogant to serve Me will surely find themselves in Hell - in humiliation!" (Quran 40:60)

So simple, just call him. You shouldn't wait till he comes to you, because he doesn't need you. He cares about those who are humble enough to ask for his help and guidance. Those whom their arrogance prevent them from asking God, they don't deserve his help, guidance, and mercy.

If someone met a King of one of the great nations, and he wanted something from him, he will try to be humble enough to ask for it, instead of ranting about not getting anything from that King. Even if a King knew you need something but you feel so proud or so arrogant not to ask for it, he probably wouldn't give you that thing till you become humble enough to ask for it gently.

Last edited:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because it is cruel, unfair, unnecessary, pure sadism, cold, immoral, extreme lack of mercy and there are better ways.

Why should they deserve it? Because disbelief is a so called crime? Even if it is a crime, which it is not, and even if someone continues to disbelieve for all eternity, it does not warrant to end up in hell. After all it does not matter how many times someone shoplift, they still won´t get executed.

I understand you believe that. However, it still doesn't make any sense. Even if we are not very special, and some creator doesn't love us very much, it doesn't make any sense that it would punish Humans so severely. In fact, it seems rather petty, arrogant and hateful. Why would anyone worship such a hateful god that would do such a hateful thing to Humans?

Post # 632.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not all evils are equal... but we have all made mistakes. Obviously the person who steals to feed his family is not the same as Hitler... but we all need to look at our lives objectively and see the impact we have on not just ourselves, but others as well.

I'm not saying God isn't just... but not every crime deserves the same punishment. Part of justice is making the penalty fit the offense.

Eternal torture for all criminals is unjust.

I was just responding to the part where you have mentioned that evil people will be punished in their life time before they die. I asked, how certain you are that evil people will be punished in this life, and you said that you will just have faith in that.

I asked you that because i'm certain that so many people have done unspeakable evil things and they died without being punished. That's why God will punish them in the hereafter.

Tashan said:
I asked you that because i'm certain that so many people have done unspeakable evil things and they died without being punished. That's why God will punish them in the hereafter.
For clarification: is belief that there are 100 gods, or 0 gods, one of those "unspeakable evil things" that "so many people have done ... and died without being punished", which is "why God will punish them in the hereafter"? That probably sounds like a rhetorical question, but it is not.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For clarification: is belief that there are 100 gods, or 0 gods, one of those "unspeakable evil things" that "so many people have done ... and died without being punished", which is "why God will punish them in the hereafter"? That probably sounds like a rhetorical question, but it is not.

No, i was referring to some tyrants who spread mischief on earth and killed thousands or millions of people for example.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I was just responding to the part where you have mentioned that evil people will be punished in their life time before they die. I asked, how certain you are that evil people will be punished in this life, and you said that you will just have faith in that.
I didn't say that all evil people would be punnished in this life. I said in the next life.

Our definition of punishment is different.

Tashan I have a question for you. Suppose hypothetically that it was your decision whether or not people would go to hell, who would go, for how long, etc. Would you send polytheists to hell? Atheists?

9-10ths penguin said:
Also, I think it's important to introduce another element that I think is a necessary part of a just punishment: a just purpose.

In human terms, punishment is used to correct a person by either rehabilitating the person or deterring them from future crime.
So... that's another thing that's missing from the idea of Hell: a just reason to punish the hell-bound. The suffering of those in Hell accomplishes nothing. It doesn't even satisfy God's blood-lust, since no amount of suffering from a person is ever considered enough.
It's interesting to notice that belief in hell, in this life, could plausibly contribute to the "just purpose" of deterring crime. For this to work, hell does not need to actually exist, people just have to believe it exists. So it's interesting that, while the actual existence of hell makes no sense (by your lights and mine), it makes a lot of sense that some societies would develop belief in hell, whether hell existed or not.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Tashan I have a question for you. Suppose hypothetically that it was your decision whether or not people would go to hell, who would go, for how long, etc. Would you send polytheists to hell? Atheists?

We can't simply say "if i were God, i would ......" because that imply knowledge about the nature of God, his real attributes, qualities, capabilities, etc. You might say, if i were Obama, i would do so and so, but you can never say, if i were God, i would do so and so because you won't be sure that you can play this role, even hypothetically speaking. I'm not dodging the question, i just think it's unreasonable to play God's role by a human being. When i become aware of God's complete purpose behind our creation, hell, etc, then only i can be able to imagine would i might do if i were him. I don't know either how does it feel to create a beautiful being such as a human being.