• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qur'an Vs Bible Vs Bhagavad Gita Vs None

Which is best?

• Bhagavad Gita

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Bible

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Qur'an

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • None

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters

firedragon

Veteran Member
There are allegedly 40+ authors of the Bible. I went into the Quran thinking it was believed to have only one author but from my anecdotal opinion is that it had multiple authors.

Just coming up with some random opinion is invalid.

I think it seems to me like what you are saying is that if my criticism of the text were more informed my opinion would be more positive as you see it.

No. I am saying you just made some arbitrary opinion with no knowledge on it.

I reasoned, were due to my own ignorance, others were due to there being obvious problems.

What are the "obvious problems"?

stevecanuck

Ok, but was that violence of the victor toward the vanquished justified by a piece of secular philosophy?

For example one could see how numbers 31:17-18 could be interpreted as normalising war rape;

'17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man'

I'm asking are there any examples from secular philosophy were we could see a justification from the philosophy for rape similar to what we see in certain sacred texts?

In my opinion.

The Qur'an tells Muslims that they can have sex with female captives of war and slaves.

4:24 - And [also prohibited to you are all] married women except those your right hands possess.

4:25 - And whoever among you cannot [find] the means to marry free, believing women, then [he may marry] from those whom your right hands possess of believing slave girls.

23:5-6 - ...And whoever among you cannot [find] the means to marry free, believing women, then [he may marry] from those whom your right hands possess of believing slave girls.

70:29-30 - ...And those who guard their private parts Except from their wives or those their right hands possess, for indeed, they are not to be blamed.

firedragon

Veteran Member
How much knowledge do I need to possess in order to dislike a literary text?

Thats a strawman. I didn't just say anything about "dislike". Maybe you should go back read.

I have no idea. That was nearly 30 years ago.

If you have no idea, don't state things you have no idea of. It's just bogus mate.

You have something more suitable?

It's not just about me or you having anything suitable. Try and read some scholarly books.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Do it without any second thought.

Without any expectation of or attachment to the results or for reward. Do it because it's the right thing. All the years I attended Sunday School and heard Sister Mary Oreganata of the Sisters of No Mercy say "Offer it up to God", I had no idea what that meant until I read BG 3.9 Work done as a sacrifice for God has to be performed; otherwise work causes bondage in this material world. Therefore, O son of Kuntī, perform your prescribed duties for His satisfaction, and in that way you will always remain free from bondage.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Don't tell me what to do, dude. That don't go down real well with me.

I am not telling you what to do. Maybe you are a mafia Don and no one can tell you what to do.

I am just pointing to your hypocrisy. You can get offended if you wish. But wish such ignorance, you make bogus declarations you don't understand.

Ciao.

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
I am not telling you what to do.

Maybe you should go back read.

don't state things you have no idea of.

Try and read some scholarly books.

I am just pointing to your hypocrisy.

No, you're just harassing me because I didn't like the Quran, like I told you almost from the start. Like you're doing with anyone in this thread who doesn't like the Quran. You're doing that as if you have a rebuttal and you don't. So, either you think you do or it doesn't matter if you do. Anyone who doesn't like the Quran has to deal with your empty objections and smart *** remarks.

Last edited:

stevecanuck

Tell me. Since you are also a great scholar of the arabic language and the Qur'an, what does Yamin mean?

You must be thinking of someone else. I have never claimed to be a great scholar of the Arabic language.

As YOU said in post 57, "I am no expert on this topic, I simply bank on other peoples expertise.".

firedragon

Veteran Member
That's, "Try to read some scholarly books". Maybe you should take your own advice and start with books on basic English.

The topic is not "English language". The topic is written in the OP and there is a Title. Something you have never studied in your entire life but you pretend.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Anyone who doesn't like the Quran has to deal with your empty objections and smart *** remarks.

Why make that kind of bogus claim?

I did not say anything about "you not liking the Quran". Why make things up like that? You made commentary about the Qur'an, claimed you translated it from English to English, and because of that knowledge you had some comments about it. Do you remember mate? Not just that "I don't like the Qur'an". ;)

Strange.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
There is no option to select ‘all’. In the Baha’i Faith we believe in all these Holy Books. We read from all 3 in our Houses of Worship throughout the world in all our services. We do not consider one superior to another.

So our position of equality of each religion is not represented above.
I've seen quotes about the Quran and the Bible in the Baha'i writings... what are some quotes in the Baha'i writings about the Bhagavad Gita?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
View attachment 63555
I read 2 out of 3 and touched on a summary with one of the others. Which one do you believe is the best and give your reasons for why. For those that think none of them are any good, state your reasons as well.
The Gita by a long shot. The Bible and the Qur'an are not even in the running.

Mainly because Hindus have a much healthier, more lucid relationship with their god-conceptions than the Abrahamics do... and because the artistic merit of the Gita are very impressive indeed.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
You mean, like . . . days of the week, months, holidays, wind chimes, wedding rings, tombstones, planets, movies, TV shows, theatre, novels, video games, Midas tires, Trident gum, constellations, Orion Pictures, Ajax household cleaner, Apollo Theater, Mercury, Mars candy bars, the Olympics, Phoenix Arizona, Atlas Van, Nike shoes, FTD Florist logo, Spartans sports teams, Cereal, Apollo Space Program, Pandora Jewelry, Amazon, male names like Jason, Troy, Damon, Michael, Elijah, female names like Rhea, Penelope, Phoebe, Helen, car names like Apollo, Eos, Titan, Taurus, Versace label, the symbol for Medicine, architecture, Battlestar Galactica, Frankenstein, geometric art, astronomy . . . do you think that the primitive superstitious people who were allegedly trying to figure out what the world around them was all about didn't formulate some compendium of knowledge which permeated every aspect of all cultures that ever existed or just pottery shards and a few cave paintings? they weren't trying to figure the world out they were creating it. You're surrounded by the mythical everyday and you don't even know it? Good luck (another mythological concept) with the reality you inhabit. Science, education, medicine, evolution, law. philosophy, ethics, morality, marriage . . . where do you think those things come from?

You seem to be confusing objective reality with our human way of labeling it, as well as with our culturally influenced organization of society.

I celebrate christmass. I don't need to believe in christ or santa to do so.
It doesn't make my life or world I inhabit "mythical" either.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
True, but all three also contain truth.

Sure.

So does Dragonball Z, Star Wars, Stargate, Star Trek, or the story about the turtle and the scorpion crossing the river.

Truth is found in almost any story.
One can even find truths in stories that the author of the story never even intended.

So I don't believe that makes any of these 3 books "extra special".