• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Race and Religion

Wherenextcolumbus

You needn't debate me. You will respond (or not) as you wish.
My "white privilege" & "male privilege" cannot silence anyone.
Well it certainly is not silencing me and yes I can respond as I wish, so prepare for the same response that I don't want to discuss this topic with you whenever you try and engage me on it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well it certainly is not silencing me and yes I can respond as I wish, so prepare for the same response that I don't want to discuss this topic with you whenever you try and engage me on it.
Hardly anyone here ever wants me to converse with them...so it's up to me to take the initiative.

Wherenextcolumbus

But the subtle is addressed as something that is all-concerning, where no effort is made to even address examples of the extreme. And in the process, these "stalwarts" continue to indirectly aid in the propagation of anti-Hinduism and, if it can be termed as such, Indophobia. They'll rally behind causes that call out and condemn children and youths that wear a piece of clothing that has historically been seen as the ultimate feminine attire (which is ironic since the sari is meant to be worn by females irrespective of their origin), but are mum when it comes to actual concerns that one would expect such "stalwarts" to fight against. For the life of me, I can never understand how White females wearing saris is a grave affront, in dire need of being corrected through "stopping" White people as whole, to the culture and integrity of India and Indians. It's nonsensical demagoguery.

I agree that it shouldn't be all concerning, but I disagree in dismissing the feelings of Desi women in this regard. All aspects of white supremacy should not be ignored.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know but I don't do ignore, I want people to know how I feel and what I think of them. People don't hold back when it comes to their opinion of me.
Hey, same for me! We have that in common, so interesting & vibrant times lie ahead.

Jumi

The problem with white girls in saaris is that in the west POC face harassment for wearing their cultural dress. Whilst when a white person does it its suddenly "cool" "trendy" "edgy" "fashionable" that's the problem. Until brown people are accepted for being part of a different culture white girls in saaris need to be more mindful about making a "fashion statement"
So you think someone who is "white" should "stay white"? And what would that be, anyway? Not everyone is an "Anglo-Saxon" either.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
So you think someone who is "white" should "stay white"? And what would that be, anyway? Not everyone is an "Anglo-Saxon" either.

I don't get that message. Saying that white women need to be more mindful when borrowing traditions for fashion statements is not a plea for white women to stop all together and "stay white".

One can respect and honor a cultural tradition without appropriating it. It was the reason why the University of Illinois discontinued it's tradition of the dancing Chief at halftime shows after so many years. The "noble savage" trope became too problematic for profit and entertainment for a state university, in spite of people arguing that the Chief in a headdress was honoring a tradition. It's still a sticky issue to this day.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Besides Catholicism, I'm very familiar with the racism and even full-blown neo-Nazism that's rampant throughout aspects of the Left-Hand Path.

As I'm sure you know, there is racism and neo-Nazism in Heathenry also. The Ásatrú Folk Alliance, makes no bones about it that the Northern Traditions are for those of Germanic descent only. In fact, in a little book they publish, which I have, called The Book of Uncommon Prayer they use the term Northern Folk. I've adapted that to simply Folk, People or Kin where necessary. There are some extremely racist and white supremacist elements in Odinism. I understand it's particularly popular in US prisons. Fortunately this Folkism and racism is not a common view. The Troth and the Ásatrúarfélagid of Iceland denounce this.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
"POC" is such a stupid concept, for the record. Just another divisive concept. It's as stupid as the terms "white" and "black", and just as non-existent./QUOTE]

I don't remember which comedian - I want to say it was Eddie Murphy, but I could be wrong - years ago did a routine in which he said something to this effect about 'white' people: "When you're born you're pink; then you turn white; when you're cold you're blue; when you get a bruise, it turns purple; when you're sick you're green; when you're dead you're gray; and you have the nerve to call us colored!?" The audience absolutely broke up laughing.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I brought it up because it's still racist to assume that all Indians all Asians all whatever are a particular pigmentation.
You are forgetting Kashmiris, Punjabis, Himachalis, Uttarkhandis, and of course, Aishwarya Roy.

Kashmiri, Punjabi, Himachali, Uttarkhand, Aishwarya (though she is from Karnatak). And, of course, Ladakhis, Sikkimese, Bengalis, and so many others.
ba018f6b-5fd9-453d-96b2-6d5896486d4dHiRes.JPG
ukd4.jpg
0.jpg
408650605_208a03267e_b.jpg
Aishwarya_roy_056.jpg

But Lord Vishnu and all his avataras are as dark as a rain-laden cloud (Ghana Shyama). :D

Last edited:

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
there's some sort of joke coming to mind here about appropriating some of that culture. Maybe wirey could figure it out for me.

Jumi

I don't get that message. Saying that white women need to be more mindful when borrowing traditions for fashion statements is not a plea for white women to stop all together and "stay white".
Maybe I misunderstood. My apologies to Horrorble if I did.

One can respect and honor a cultural tradition without appropriating it. It was the reason why the University of Illinois discontinued it's tradition of the dancing Chief at halftime shows after so many years. The "noble savage" trope became too problematic for profit and entertainment for a state university, in spite of people arguing that the Chief in a headdress was honoring a tradition. It's still a sticky issue to this day.
I can understand that. I don't think it's appropriate anymore at this time, no matter what the original meant for people.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
The problem with white girls in saaris is that in the west POC face harassment for wearing their cultural dress. Whilst when a white person does it its suddenly "cool" "trendy" "edgy" "fashionable" that's the problem. Until brown people are accepted for being part of a different culture white girls in saaris need to be more mindful about making a "fashion statement"
How 'bout this? Everyone should just wear what they want and screw PC hand wringing. Seriously, there's more important things to worry about in the world.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
As I'm sure you know, there is racism and neo-Nazism in Heathenry also. The Ásatrú Folk Alliance, makes no bones about it that the Northern Traditions are for those of Germanic descent only. In fact, in a little book they publish, which I have, called The Book of Uncommon Prayer they use the term Northern Folk. I've adapted that to simply Folk, People or Kin where necessary. There are some extremely racist and white supremacist elements in Odinism. I understand it's particularly popular in US prisons. Fortunately this Folkism and racism is not a common view. The Troth and the Ásatrúarfélagid of Iceland denounce this.
Oh, yes. I'm well-aware of the racism in some quarters of Heathenry. The racists. It's a travesty and warping of the religion.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
How 'bout this? Everyone should just wear what they want and screw PC hand wringing. Seriously, there's more important things to worry about in the world.

There is a certain amount of "PC hand wringing" that I think is entirely appropriate. Like the example of native american headdresses and school mascots. It seems perfectly reasonable to be concerned about perpetuating stereotypes and giving offense needlessly. It does seem to me that there is an element in the very extreme wing of radical feminism or the academic left (I'm not sure what the preferred nomenclature is here) that might take the idea of cultural appropriation or privilege farther than I think is reasonable in some contexts. Or maybe it's that I think it doesn't make sense to try to view every question through only the lens of privilege and identity (whether sexual or racial or whatever). But on the other hand the other side which dismisses the actual reality of racism and sexism and privilege entirely is a bigger problem, I think.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I don't remember which comedian - I want to say it was Eddie Murphy, but I could be wrong - years ago did a routine in which he said something to this effect about 'white' people: "When you're born you're pink; then you turn white; when you're cold you're blue; when you get a bruise, it turns purple; when you're sick you're green; when you're dead you're gray; and you have the nerve to call us colored!?" The audience absolutely broke up laughing.
Lol. I remember that joke. I also remember another joke by Rene Hicks about it. "Aren't we all colored? If someone comes up to you and they're transparent, run! It's an alien! Go!". Lol.