• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist memes spread after false claims that immigrants kill and eat pets.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
“Probably are” isn’t a basis to claim it happens often with such certainty as Trump shows.
Everything is hammed up in US elections but I think there's s truth to most of it. I expect the media to hype stories for sales and clicks. I expect politicians to ham things up for attention. But this doesn't mean animal sacrifice isn't happening and some may well be taking pets because there are lunatics or cultural differences everywhere.

Pogo

Are folks here aware that some Southern American groups do in fact practice animal sacrifice per their religious beliefs? This has probably been exaggerated for the news but this is not a right wing myth. Chickens are routinely used for this and it's legal per the Bill of Rights. It's obviously disturbing people though and I'm not sure why some US folks are unaware of these practices. I'm British and it's not news to me.
The important part of the accusation was that they were stealing pets for the purpose. It was false and designed to inflame.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
The important part of the accusation was that they were stealing pets for the purpose. It was false and designed to inflame.
We'll know in a few weeks when it dies down. As I said, it is perfectly possible that some pets are being abducted from yards. It's hard just to get one's hands on an animal for sacrifice and they hardly have money to buy them just for that. In many countries animals are running around for free.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everything is hammed up in US elections but I think there's s truth to most of it. I expect the media to hype stories for sales and clicks. I expect politicians to ham things up for attention. But this doesn't mean animal sacrifice isn't happening and some may well be taking pets because there are lunatics or cultural differences everywhere.
What evidence?
How prevalent?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I read them.
Calm down.
No. I'm sick of this. I can't have a meaningful discourse with half the people on here because even when I present a logical argument it's ignored.

So no I won't calm down I'm ****ing sick of this.

Pets are stolen every day for cash, what makes this any different?

Trump said it. That's it. Now it's partisan.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Step 1. Some people sacrifice animals

Step 2. Those people move to a country not known for animal sacrifice.

Step 3. They cannot easily access animals for sacrifice.

Step 4. They steal some.

It may not be happening, but the logical argument as to why it might be works.

Does anyone disagree?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
It's perfectly possible. I don't know either way but given some of their religious practices it's not a leap to assume some folks may be taking pets from the streets for sacrifice.
You can go to Tractor Supply and buy biddies. No need to steal a neighbors. And as far as religious practices, they have their "suppliers." Take a trip to New Orleans, but beware of "those" neighborhoods. o_O

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No. I'm sick of this. I can't have a meaningful discourse with half the people on here because even when I present a logical argument it's ignored.

So no I won't calm down I'm ****ing sick of this.

Pets are stolen every day for cash, what makes this any different?

Trump said it. That's it. Now it's partisan.
Perhaps not as logical or complete as you believe? Hence my questions.

Spice

Step 4. They steal some.

Does anyone disagree?
Yes, I do.

Pets are more likely to be stolen for "baiting" by Americans than by immigrants for food or religious practice.
Southeast Asians have long stood the prejudices connected to eating dog and cat. They unfortunately still do as many Americans will not eat in a Chinese restaurant for this reason.

Haitians are not the result of Asian colonialism, so why the connection to dogs and cats? Do they eat dogs and cats in Africa? Do they eat dogs and cats in France?

It's ridiculous anti-not us mud-slinging. The Haitian people have been overrun by violent gangs in their own country and have reached out to the U.S. "legally" and been sponsored by manufacturing business to come here and work. They are very hard workers and generally very good people just like every other country of people in the world.

If they need a couple of live chickens, they'll find proper sources, just like those of other countries that I won't mention, are finding it easier to get live goats in the U.S. for their traditions.

Last edited:

Pogo

Step 4. They steal some.

Does anyone disagree?
Far easier to find a disreputable puppy mill or other source where no-one will complain. Heck, Kristi Noem probably sells them to local clients.

Your repeating the meme with, "well it is possible" about an already debunked story is actually rather bigoted and a perfect example of MAGA fearmongering.

Spice

It's not happening in the US, on a level that warrants concern.
Our local Haitians were sponsored to work in a Perdue processing plant. They make good money and have all kinds of access to chickens. LOL Now the Jamaicans that come to pick the watermelons, well . . . :shrug: LOL - LOL