• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons to not believe in God? Discuss....

Truth_Faith13

I have a "preference" for my bank account to have $10 million in it, but I don't live as if it does. That's the difference: living as if one's faith is true (even if you concede you may be wrong) vs. living as if those claims haven't been demonstrated to the point that they should be relied upon.

The difference there being living on what you can't afford causes problems. Hoping for heaven is merely a dream. It doesn't impact this reality,

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I must admit to not thinking of it that way before, but that said, if that's the case, is anything really a choice? Or are we just a product of our experiences, events, environments etc? Religion says we have free will, do atheism say we don't?
Atheism doesn't say neither.

Honestly, I can't say for sure if we have free will or not. My stance is that the term "free" and "will" somehow contradict each other.

By the way, do all religions say that we have free will or is it something more specific to Christianity or special versions of Christianity? I'm thinking of Calvinism or Buddhism etc.

When it comes to experiences and such, we are for sure products of our biology and environment. Perhaps we have some small freedom in there, but I can't say. I know that many things about me comes from who I am and where I come from more than what I currently can freely choose. When I think I freely choose something, isn't it based on some kind of preferences? For instance, if I pick chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla, is it because of conditioning or that I actually at that moment don't have any preconception guiding me? If I can just choose whichever, isn't it just random?

I can say the same for homosexuality....I actually believe it's generally who they are, and their love is just as loving as heterosexual love. I believe they are fantastic parents, they should have the same rights as heterosexual couples...marriage etc....do I think it's right? No....I have tried, but I can't. Seeing a homosexual couple together gives me the same reaction as eating marmite. (Sorry I realise that may come across really badly)...it's not even to do with my faith. But I bet many atheists would probably say this is a choice I make.
Yes, it's your choice! :D

Kiddin'. Your reaction is probably because of your history, experiences, upbringing, etc, and biological preconditions too of course. But do you choose to feel that way?

Anyway, when it comes to choice, sometimes I think of it that we have a choice that we make now, even if it's based on our experience, our choice now will affect our current experience which will direct our choices in the future. It's like we're on a boat going down a wild river and we can only watch the landscape go by but we can't steer the boat.

(I'm blabbering again. :))

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
By the way, do all religions say that we have free will or is it something more specific to Christianity or special versions of Christianity? I'm thinking of Calvinism or Buddhism etc.
I believe it's characteristic of Christianity and its offshoot, Humanism, but all it really requires is a strong sense of worth (individualism).

Thief

Rogue Theologian
To some degree it's explained by experience, situations, environment, events, etc.

I know from my own case that I didn't choose to lose my faith. I didn't want to, but nothing I experienced gave me confidence that the God that I thought I believed in existed. I realized I was wrong. I didn't want to be wrong, but I was. And my search began to find new answers to the ancient questions.

Actually, I tried really, really, really hard to still believe after I lost my faith. It didn't work. I tried to choose to have faith, but it didn't come. It was like trying to squeeze water out of a dry sponge or a rock. It just wasn't there however much I tried. The choice wasn't to not-believe. The choice was to accept that I didn't believe already and move on to something better and more fitting to life.

This^...reminds me of the parable...the Sower of Seed....

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Atheists as a whole are uninterested in which god is most likely truthful they just dislike the concept of god and often fulfill absolutes like religion with science. Ironically the only intellectually free individuals in this case are non religious theists but that is another story I guess :D

ametist

Not to have had an experience of death yet and to have had a forgetfulness of birth. We are given a life of free choice to find our way to back where we belong. Because we have so much time, forgetting and remembering that love over and again all we do. Death and birth is great divine lock openning the door to ourselves.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Atheists as a whole are uninterested in which god is most likely truthful they just dislike the concept of god and often fulfill absolutes like religion with science. Ironically the only intellectually free individuals in this case are non religious theists but that is another story I guess :D

Absolutes?

:biglaugh:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The difference there being living on what you can't afford causes problems. Hoping for heaven is merely a dream. It doesn't impact this reality,

It impacts this reality all the time. It's very common for people to make decisions in this life based on what they think will happen in the next one. Take Mother Teresa: she had her hospital leave many patients in pain without painkillers because she believed that their suffering would earn them reward in Heaven. Countless people experienced real suffering because of her "hope".

In my experience, it's very rare for someone's religious beliefs to have no impact on what they do in their lives. And if I ever encountered someone who this was actually true for, I would want to ask him what posessed him to devote so much of his life to such an irrelevant faith.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It impacts this reality all the time. It's very common for people to make decisions in this life based on what they think will happen in the next one. Take Mother Teresa: she had her hospital leave many patients in pain without painkillers because she believed that their suffering would earn them reward in Heaven. Countless people experienced real suffering because of her "hope".

In my experience, it's very rare for someone's religious beliefs to have no impact on what they do in their lives. And if I ever encountered someone who this was actually true for, I would want to ask him what posessed him to devote so much of his life to such an irrelevant faith.

If I understand the 'question'.....
You do see that religion has effect in the lives of people....
but should you meet someone who DOES believe...but has no 'manifestation'...
this would be the puzzle?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If I understand the 'question'.....
You do see that religion has effect in the lives of people....
but should you meet someone who DOES believe...but has no 'manifestation'...
this would be the puzzle?

Well, yes. If someone is putting something forward as the highest principle in their life but it doesn't affect any aspect of their life, then I would question how high they actually hold it... or whether it's a principle for them at all.

I don't understand how a person's religion can have no impact on their life. At the very least, the faith of an observant Christian (for instance) affects his availability for other things on Sunday morning.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Indeed, the point of religious beliefs is to impact their lives.

Although there is certainly some of people choosing their beliefs so that they do not impact their lives too much...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well, yes. If someone is putting something forward as the highest principle in their life but it doesn't affect any aspect of their life, then I would question how high they actually hold it... or whether it's a principle for them at all.

I don't understand how a person's religion can have no impact on their life. At the very least, the faith of an observant Christian (for instance) affects his availability for other things on Sunday morning.

Are you moving to the word hypocrisy?.....
Quite common actually.

Spot something contrary to a faith and ask the perpetrator.....
'Don't you know better?'