• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is fundamentally divisive. That's not helping!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe the Lord has other plans. Thank God!!! I believe all of existence will end before 2080 and begin again around 1980. However, I still do believe in keeping our planet healthy.
It will be reborn before it ends? That's some interesting physics.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
True, but keep one thing in mind: if you eliminated all the religions in the world right now, none of those problems would disappear. The reason for all the issues you listed is not religion. Bad management of resources comes from greed and corruption and the culprits are bad governments and corporations.
It's easy to say "religion is divisive, therefore religion is the problem". But being distracted from problems far greater than religion won't fix anything.
What if the religions have becomes minions of the bad governments and corporations?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
What is the better unifying category that we all can belong to (and don’t just say human as this is not a unifying category absent an alien invasion)?

We all need markers of identity, and religions are actually far more inclusive than most of the alternatives.

So what is the better and more inclusive marker of identity?
How about unifying around protecting the fragile environment that supports us?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To me it's sooooo far from magical. It is the truth but anyway as far as advice well, just keep on advancing technology to find other ways of transportation etc.
But how have you decided it's truth? You've admitted before that your opinions are based on gut feeling, rather than evidence. It's short-sighted and unregulated technology that's causing the problem.
Magical thinking is an insult to my beliefs.
From what I can see, magical thinking underlies your beliefs.
What are your beliefs based on, if not magic?

Last edited:
How about unifying around protecting the fragile environment that supports us?

That’s not how human group psychology seems to work. Environmental protection is just one part of a political ideology and political ideologies are divisive.

So to say religion is divisive, doesn’t make much sense unless there are alternatives than are less divisive.

Unfortunately, there don’t seem to be many.

(Religion is probably the most unifying force in human history, other than perhaps national identity)

Jimmy

Veteran Member
But how have you decided it's truth? You've admitted before that your opinions are based on gut feeling, rather than evidence. It's short-sighted and unregulated technology that's causing the problem.
There’s just some things I know in life.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is the better unifying category that we all can belong to (and don’t just say human as this is not a unifying category absent an alien invasion)?

We all need markers of identity, and religions are actually far more inclusive than most of the alternatives.

So what is the better and more inclusive marker of identity?
Should our actions, votes or opinions be based on identity, or objective fact?
Are there varying "team facts?"

icehorse

Premium Member
That’s not how human group psychology seems to work. Environmental protection is just one part of a political ideology and political ideologies are divisive.

So to say religion is divisive, doesn’t make much sense unless there are alternatives than are less divisive.

Unfortunately, there don’t seem to be many.

(Religion is probably the most unifying force in human history, other than perhaps national identity)

I would agree that protecting the environment is often presented as a political ideology, but I think that's a category error, so we should recast it :)

As for religion being unifying - that was true when the world was bigger. Now that the world is so small, religion usually plays the role of divider.

icehorse

Premium Member
Not answering your loaded question.
Your beliefs must be on shaky ground if you cannot defend them, no?

Let me zoom out a bit: I'm a secular humanist. I believe that humans can solve their own problems without the need (or possibility), of supernatural intervention. Now I have to admit that that belief of mine is one that I cannot logically defend. I would be okay if you were to label that belief of mine as magical thinking.