• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion spreads hate & intolerance

Wannabe Yogi

Unless a religious person commits an act of wrong with the direct intention of creating suffering. Think 9/11.

The 19th and 20th century's have shown that some humans behave the same way religious or not. I know an Atheist who only thinks of himself. Is it because he is an Atheist ? I think not.

I am not defending religious faith right now. I just believe that some % of the population will find a way to rationalize there bad behavior religious or not.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's both combined. Have to have a "human condition" to begin with right? Religion (or world view) for some is an extension I guess you'd say. A person's view of the world (religion, belief system, lack there of.. pick one) is by no means irrelevant just because the human condition exists.
I've read that three times and it still doesn't make sense, especially in context. Rephrase, please?

DarkSun

:eltiT
It's both combined. Have to have a "human condition" to begin with right? Religion (or world view) for some is an extension I guess you'd say. A person's view of the world (religion, belief system, lack there of.. pick one) is by no means irrelevant just because the human condition exists.

shockedsakurall2.jpg

free spirit

Well that's just the point. How do you know he is in error?
I know because my motivation is love, with no coveting of any kind. But the point is that his conscience also knows, but we can deceive ourselves, and the test of love and coveting is essential to know the truth.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Blaming religion for the actions of others is a straw man. We have freedoms in this country. Regulating those freedoms will do little to correct the perceived problems you blame on religion.

If you really want to solve the problem, ban ignorance. :p

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Blaming religion for the actions of others is a straw man. We have freedoms in this country. Regulating those freedoms will do little to correct the perceived problems you blame on religion.

If you really want to solve the problem, ban ignorance. :p

I think its ignorant to ignore the influences of religion upon these people ;)

Religion may not be the sole motive but im sure it often contributes.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

What it boils down to is personal choices. Regardless of who or what influences you if you commit an act of hate or intolerance it is because you chose to be hateful or intolerant. It is the evil within the person that compels them not their religion.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
What it boils down to is personal choices. Regardless of who or what influences you if you commit an act of hate or intolerance it is because you chose to be hateful or intolerant. It is the evil within the person that compels them not their religion.

I'm not a fan of blaming the "evil within." As a satanist (somewhat), evil to me is another path to happiness.
Thinking about what "the church wants and what god would do" is often dangerous. Look at the crusades. "God wills it" was often a substitute for a rational reason to go and kill saracens. Obviously amongst other reasons. Im just trying to show that religion was an influence.

Enoch07

Premium Member
I'm not a fan of blaming the "evil within." As a satanist (somewhat), evil to me is another path to happiness.
Thinking about what "the church wants and what god would do" is often dangerous. Look at the crusades. "God wills it" was often a substitute for a rational reason to go and kill saracens. Obviously amongst other reasons. Im just trying to show that religion was an influence.

The Crusades was not Gods will. It was the Church claiming it as Gods will, to try to obtain wealth, power, and land. If they would have come right out and said we are conquering Israel because we want their gold most people would have been against it. The leaders at that time was just as corrupt as any other tyrant, but it was not God that compelled them to do it. It was the excuse they used just like terrorist falsely use Islam to justify their actions. Again it boils down to personal choices based upon the wants and needs of the person initiating the action. Not the religion they claim to be. People who hide behind religion or blame religion for such evil actions are only fooling themselves.

challupa

The Crusades was not Gods will. It was the Church claiming it as Gods will, to try to obtain wealth, power, and land. If they would have come right out and said we are conquering Israel because we want their gold most people would have been against it. The leaders at that time was just as corrupt as any other tyrant, but it was not God that compelled them to do it. It was the excuse they used just like terrorist falsely use Islam to justify their actions. Again it boils down to personal choices based upon the wants and needs of the person initiating the action. Not the religion they claim to be. People who hide behind religion or blame religion for such evil actions are only fooling themselves.
Yes but religion is such a useful little tool to use when you want something and you can get your gullible following to believe God wants it too!!:yes: Happens all the time.

Jordan St. Francis

On the other hand, I would not want to reduce this solely to a question of individual responsibility. Within thought, within ideological systems- and therefore also religious systems, political systems and and philosophical systems (including atheistic philosophy), there emerges tendencies within which lay waiting to be exploited more than others, or which, followed logically, may very well result, by their own momentum, in gross violations of human dignity and freedom.

History has been checkered with this. Religion is not excused, but neither are its critics. The Twentieth Century, for example, has seen some of the worst results of secular utopianism, its goals, methods and its morality. Movements, which began with noble aims, took on a momentum of their own and, in the heat of the moment and passion for the future, seemed to abolish the individual and sweep him up into a collective act which would transform the world. Systems purported to have replaced religion were found to outdo it even in its vicious aspects. And who can ignore the great and brilliant philosophers, who, at the hands of later generations, would have seen their ideas put towards death factories?

It is not only individuals who are open to criticism, but ways of thinking as well, IMO.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Yes but religion is such a useful little tool to use when you want something and you can get your gullible following to believe God wants it too!!:yes: Happens all the time.

Only a fool would allow himself to be deceived in such a way. Any good man knows what God really wants. Which is love, not war and acquisition of wealth.

free spirit

Yes like George W. Bush did with Iraq, bravo. 9/11 was because Reagan refiused to help Aganistan to rebuild after the Soviets retreated, he said it was to expensive to do that. Bush did not finish off alkaida but whent to Iraq and we will pay for their errors for a long time to come. And you continue to vote Republican, don't you know that row capitalism is row idolatry. The last two years is all the proof you need.

Last edited:

challupa

Only a fool would allow himself to be deceived in such a way. Any good man knows what God really wants. Which is love, not war and acquisition of wealth.
Maybe so, but history shows us that there have been many many people that have followed so called leaders of religion down some pretty ugly paths. Of course people also followed other leaders down pretty ugly paths too.

However, all it takes is a little charisma and a claim that they are enlightened, and some wisdom of how the human psyche works and people who are searching and therefore vulnerable can get sucked into doing things they never would have done on their own. By the time they wake up its usually too late.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Maybe so, but history shows us that there have been many many people that have followed so called leaders of religion down some pretty ugly paths. Of course people also followed other leaders down pretty ugly paths too.

However, all it takes is a little charisma and a claim that they are enlightened, and some wisdom of how the human psyche works and people who are searching and therefore vulnerable can get sucked into doing things they never would have done on their own. By the time they wake up its usually too late.

I agree, that is why it is important educate yourself on the word of God. Then when you have charismatic leaders trying to pull some bull, you can call them out on it.

challupa

I agree, that is why it is important educate yourself on the word of God. Then when you have charismatic leaders trying to pull some bull, you can call them out on it.
I think that is wise in all areas of life, not just religious. I agree education is the key.

DarkSun

:eltiT

Following that same line of thinking, we should also ban Nationalism while we're at it. :p

It should be illegal to be proud of your own countries to the extent that you show little interest in anothers'.

And just while I'm there, people who don't see the world the same way that you do should be neutered. I mean, difference in perception may not be the sole motive, but I'm sure it often contributes.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Following that same line of thinking, we should also ban Nationalism while we're at it. :p

It should be illegal to be proud of your own countries to the extent that you show little interest in anothers'.

And just while I'm there, people who don't see the world the same way that you do should be neutered. I mean, difference in perception may not be the sole motive, but I'm sure it often contributes.

You caught me out, i was just have a weak jest at religion :p

Im not saying ban anything, im saying we should recognise what drives people. Religion is often a factor, as is lack of religion, or culture. People are very quick to state that religion is not involved when i think it is.