• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion spreads hate & intolerance

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't think intolerant is the right word.

You're right, I was just using the word everyone else was using.
The fact is, Christians are tolerant of homosexuals (the ones who believe it to be a sin, that is) they are not of what they do- sex-wise. That is why I stay out of discussions- what someone does sex wise is absolutely no one's business but the one's who are engaging in it. I certainly would not want anyone to comment on my sex life and I believe in The Golden Rule. :)

You're right, I was just using the word everyone else was using.
The fact is, Christians are tolerant of homosexuals (the ones who believe it to be a sin, that is) they are not of what they do- sex-wise. That is why I stay out of discussions- what someone does sex wise is absolutely no one's business but the one's who are engaging in it. I certainly would not want anyone to comment on my sex life and I believe in The Golden Rule. :)

I totally agree. You certainly are of the minority (lol) and very insightful.

challupa

Funny homosexuality comes in to play so much when all anyone has to do is look at the animal kingdom... it's full of homosexual activities and yet, no animal species has ever been accused of extinction because of homosexual activities within that species. So I doubt that the reason being "gay" or "bi" was cursed back then to preserve and perpetuate the human race... more like something to gripe about because it creates so much insecurity in some people. So then why would God create an animal kingdom as well as a human race with tendencies for any of the three sexual choices and turn around and condemn the very God-given nature inherent in all living animals including humans? Gay bashing is again, intolerance... something that STARTED by historical religious nuts condemning the acts. Sure there's many who are tolerant of a persons RIGHT to choose how he/she lives... but there's way, way more than "just a few fundies" that oppose... it's still widespread... bottom line... no church, no religion and frankly no government has a right to tell people what they can or cannot do in the privacy of their own home with another consenting adult. The less "people" try to control what other people do, say and think, the quicker we get on the same page of equality. Probably not going to happen in this country for another 100 years if it ever does... why? Because of the people out there that will respond to this and say "God doesn't make gays... that mean ol' devil does." By the way, interpretation-wise, there not one ABSOLUTE reference in the bible that absolutely states homosexual activity is wrong. Even if it said "all gays go to hell"... still, it's coming from a mish-mash of erroneous books slapped together that also tells people it's okay to kill under certain circumstances, give your daughters away for sex... and pay taxes. lol Now it THAT isn't proof it's a tool designed to instill fear and ultimately, control, I don't know what else is.

I don't believe the bible to be a true book or word of God. He would have done it much better and certainly there would be no room for speculation or guessing at what was meant... and yet, here we are. To me, that's proof it's just a book, nothing more.
I just wanted to comment on the outlawing of homosexuality in the OT and it being related to survival. As far as I know, and I could be wrong here, it was only the Isrealites that condemned homosexuality. I also think it could have been for survival reasons. The reason why I say that is they were a very small and unstable tribe of people that were surrounded by powerful neighbors that didn't always play nice. They were in captivity more often than not. Many of the laws you see in the OT are based on survival of the Israelites and their very identity. Circumcision is an example and so was the eating of kosher foods. The rules defining eating came into existence when they were in captivity in Babylon. Since eating is quite a social activity, the priests were afraid that their people would slowly assimilate into the captive society. By making rules on eating that were difficult to follow and quite different, it forced the people to stick to their "own kind". Circumcising the males also became a source of identification. So getting back to condemning homosexuality, it likely was quite necessary for the people to "go forth and multiply" for very important survival reasons. Possibly anyway.

logician

Any religion that is strongly evangelical by definition is intolerant of other beliefs, otherwise they would not be trying to convert others to tbeir faith. This is why evangelical religions are dangerous, and have destroyed many cultures, they have no respect for native religios beliefs, rather, they try to convert through missionary actions others to their faith.

Any religion that is strongly evangelical by definition is intolerant of other beliefs, otherwise they would not be trying to convert others to tbeir faith. This is why evangelical religions are dangerous, and have destroyed many cultures, they have no respect for native religios beliefs, rather, they try to convert through missionary actions others to their faith.

So true and well put.

gzusfrk

Christian
In your second sentence you did not use strongly in front of evangelical.

Rakhel

So who else are Christians taught to be intolerant of other than homosexuals?(I want Bible teachings, not statements that KKK members call themselves Christians and stuff like that).
Well for the longest time, it was the Jews who were not to be tolerated, unless you could convince one to to become a "believer" and to repent of his sins for killing Jesus.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Well for the longest time, it was the Jews who were not to be tolerated, unless you could convince one to to become a "believer" and to repent of his sins for killing Jesus.

I never liked hearing about Christian who hated Jews. First we say that Jesus was killed by "mankind (humankind)", then you have those idiots who also say "The Jews killed Jesus". Certainly, it was the Romans who killed Jesus, anyway. ;)

Rakhel

Yeah, I know. It is something that will take a while to die down. Trust me, we don't like hearing it either.

blackout

Violet.
I hate it when entire groups of people are blamed for what a subset of SPECIFIC people did.

for example,
I am not responsible for slavery...
nor am I responsible for Jesus' death. duh.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Sadly we will always have hateful christians,as I have said befor no one knows the future, or what Jesus might do with this person or that person,as christians we need to look and act toward that person as if they are saved,with love and respect.For all have sinned and fall short the glory of God.

Homosexuality should be viewed as love, not a sin. In no way shape or form should God create gay people and then punish them.

Its pretty sickening that standards have been set in order to qualify to become a meber of a Godly congregation.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Homosexuality should be viewed as love, not a sin. In no way shape or form should God create gay people and then punish them.
I only disagree on ONE point. I think a homosexual RELATIONSHIP should be considered as love. There's no greater love than two people in a committed relationship. On the other hand, I think homo and hetero random sex is nothing but lust.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I only disagree on ONE point. I think a homosexual RELATIONSHIP should be considered as love. There's no greater love than two people in a committed relationship. On the other hand, I think homo and hetero random sex is nothing but lust.

Well yes. For the record, i meant a relationship. Love is love, it should not be legislated, legalised or classed in any way shape or form.

blackout

Violet.

3 or 4 people in a committed relationship?

3>2 after all. ;)