• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion: *#@$&~^!!!!

Wakeup

Reject Superstition
Christians teach their tiny children, at the same time they teach them the horrible force of hell, that every baby is born in sin. This sin is Adam's sin, who they now admit never existed. We have generations of children being told their sins will result in eternity in hell, and their good deeds will land them a spot up in heaven. Morality should be based not on punishment or reward after death, but rather effectually based on sympathy, mutual understanding, and education. It's about time humanity wake up and adopt a morality that is thought-out, reasoned, argued and discussed. It sickens me that most people accept an absolute morality written in a book a little less than 2,000 years ago. We are poisoning our children. Christianity is an enemy of gay's, bestowing on them the type of bigotry it reserved for Jews before 1962. Christianity is an enemy of woman, keeping them from priesthood. An enemy of truth, denouncing condoms as infective. An enemy of science and well being, keeping advancements in genetics from saving lives. Most of all, Christianity is an enemy of education, corrupting children's minds by feeding them lies and subjecting them to guilt.

[It should be noted that I only refer to Christianity in this post because I am most familiar with it. However. this post was directed toward any thiest religion]

Levite

Higher and Higher
Wow. One single post, and so far it's all about generalization and intolerance.

I think it's a little strange that a post that presents itself as a protest about the desire to preserve and protect the rights of others is framed by the absolute judgment of, and expressed desire to quash the beliefs of, an entire group of people.

Really, all Christianity is wrong to believe in? Every single variant, every single denomination and sect? (Of course, I presume you are well-versed in the nature of the beliefs of each and every denomination and sect of Christianity, because surely you would not condemn beliefs you know nothing of.) Islam and Judaism are entirely wrong, too, I take it, since they are also theistic (And I assume you are equally well-versed in all the denominations, sects, and variants of those religions as well). How about Hinduism? Indigenous religions of America, Africa, and Asia? What about quasi-theistic religions, like Wicca or Paganism? What about religions that aren't theistic but do incorporate moral codes, like Confucianism? If their moral code does not conform to yours, are they also "vile, depraved, and inhuman?"

I am curious what percentage of the world's population do not fall into the "vile, depraved, and inhuman" category, according to your judgment.

Rather than teaching our children the religion of our choice, would you say the world would be better off by teaching our children to condemn and vituperate the beliefs of others without full knowledge and without exception? Should we teach them, instead to feel free to take the ways in which others try to live better lives and experience the numinous, and spit on them in public? Yes, that certainly seems a convincing way to improve interpersonal relations.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Is there a barf icon? There should be a barf icon.

Something like this, only smilieized:
john-candy-spaceballs-barf.jpg

Wakeup

Reject Superstition
First, it baffles me you say, "rather than teach children the religion of our choice," when so many religions assert absolute truth while there is a direct correlation with the religion you "choose" with the country you live in. It is rather absurd you can get past this premise to "choose" a religion. But lets be real here, the authority of most religions are so anxious in preserving the purity in their children, that they are intent on keeping them ignorant from other religions in the first place.

"Really, all Christianity is wrong to believe in? Every single variant, every single denomination and sect?"
In one sense Christianity is wrong for moral reasons and it's impact on society, in another sense the absolute truth it asserts to the world isn't true.

"Islam and Judaism are entirely wrong, too, I take it, since they are also theistic"
Yes

"How about Hinduism?"

that's panthiest

"What about quasi-theistic religions, like Wicca or Paganism? What about religions that aren't theistic but do incorporate moral codes, like Confucianism? If their moral code does not conform to yours, are they also "vile, depraved, and inhuman?"
I never said quasi-thiest. Confucianism isn't thiestic, like you stated. I specificlly said "scociety's morality," not mine.

"I am curious what percentage of the world's population do not fall into the "vile, depraved, and inhuman" category, according to your judgment."
First of all I said theist, meaning a personal god that intervenes in a governing way on earth. I never said any individual was vile, depraved, and inhumane.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
First, it baffles me you say, "rather than teach children the religion of our choice," when so many religions assert absolute truth while there is a direct correlation with the religion you "choose" with the country you live in. It is rather absurd you can get past this premise to "choose" a religion.

Why? I did it. I was born and raised in America(a predominantly Christian nation), and became a Hindu a few years ago; before that, being a self-made pagan of sorts (and before that, following a video-game based religion of my own design.) I didn't even know who Jesus was until junior high, and one of my earliest concrete introductions to his story was Jesus Christ Superstar.

"How about Hinduism?"
that's panthiest
Actually, panentheism is most common in Hinduism from what I've seen. There's also PLENTY of monotheists and polytheists among Hindus.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Than be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge.

I am never satisfied with my knowledge, which is why I post here. I came to this forum about 4 years ago to learn about other faiths and non-faiths. I did not come here to hear how awful theists are. Being a bigot towards people you think are bigots is called hypocrisy (I am speaking generally, not about you).
:cool: But no worries, I have no hatred towards you and I am not offended by your opinions. :)

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because there are several religions that claim absolute truth much different than the truth you put faith in.

But many people who have been born to such religions have left them, so not everyone is limited by this. Anybody who stays in those religions can very well be in that position out of their own choice.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Because there are several religions that claim absolute truth much different than the truth you put faith in.

I fail to see how that has anything to do with the "absurdity" of someone choosing a religion based on something other than his or her country of origin. I reiterate: I did that. Therefore, it's not absurd. It's uncommon, but it's quite a long way from "uncommon" to "absurd."

Besides, I only know of two religions that claim absolute truth: mainstream Christianity and Islam.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I wasn't born into my faith. My mother was an atheist when I was born and remained one until I was about 17 or 18 years old. And I don't recall ever even thinking I have "absolute truth". Anyone who says that all Christians and member of other Abraham religions ALL believe that they have absolute truth is mistaken. Only some of them do.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I wasn't born into my faith. My mother was an atheist when I was born and remained one until I was about 17 or 18 years old. And I don't recall ever even thinking I have "absolute truth". Anyone who says that all Christians and member of other Abraham religions ALL believe that they have absolute truth is mistaken. Only some of them do.

Unfortunately, those "some" make up both the majority in terms of population, as well as the loudest. :(

Wakeup

Reject Superstition
I am never satisfied with my knowledge, which is why I post here. I came to this forum about 4 years ago to learn about other faiths and non-faiths. I did not come here to hear how awful theists are. Being a bigot towards people you think are bigots is called hypocrisy (I am speaking generally, not about you).
:cool: But no worries, I have no hatred towards you and I am not offended by your opinions. :)

Atheism and agnosticism are non-faiths by deffinition. And who said I'm only here to bash theists? Also, your implying that I'm a bigot. Why else would you have made that statement? Just felt like letting me know in case i didn't know what that phrase meant.