• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions answers to the suffering of innocents

Maninthemiddle

In Christianity Jesus said:

If you believe in the afterlife, the suffering of innocence is made up by then having a better after life. It is sort of a variation of Karma, but less due to your choices in life, and more about being a victim of bad circumstances, that you did not create.
It does not at all answer the question why someone would be born for eg with no arms or legs.
Why are they blessed and sure to inherit the kingdom, the individual may be an evil person not worthy.

Brian2

Veteran Member
No matter what your faith may be, inevitably the question will arise from others: Why does God allow bad things to happen to innocent children? From the perspective of your religion, how do you answer this? In my opinion, Buddhism's concept of karma provides a meaningful response. However, I am open to hearing about the explanations offered by other religions. I do not claim that Buddhism has all the answers, which is why I am interested in exploring this question further.

Christianity does not seem to have all the answers. Blaming God for suffering seems to be true in the sense that God made this universe and the potential for suffering and that God uses our suffering for our good at times.
Blaming those who are suffering for their own suffering seems true at times also but it is imo too easy an answer and is not an answer for all suffering.
Blaming people for the suffering of others seems also true for much of the suffering we see and/or hear of.
All this of course is assuming that someone or something to blame is what we are looking for in an answer.
Blame is not appropriate at times either. Suffering is part of life and there for a good reason even though there seems to be far too much of it and a lot of it does not seem to have a good reason.

In Christianity the most innocent person who has lived was sent by His Father, God, so that He would suffer and even die so that God could put on Him the blame that we deserve.
I suppose that Jesus could be said to be the Christian answer for suffering in the world. Jesus was sent to do away with suffering in God's way, through suffering, and the end of the matter has not come yet. We wait for the return of Jesus to judge all beings and things and to establish God's Kingdom on earth and rule over it and bring harmony and peace. But even that will be through suffering.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Commonly means most often, the majority of times, so your blaming the parents for the majority, thank you for confirming what I said, you generally blame the parents.
Do you make it a habit of misrepresenting what others say to advance your agenda?

I never said anything about blame. You are, again, putting words in my mouth.

Again, my statement:
That said, "things" that happen to innocent children, while possibly impacted by karmic action, are more commonly the fruits of the parents' actions.
You have ignored the 'more' before 'commonly.' Do you understand the difference between 'more' and "most?"

Misrepresent me again and we will be done here. I have a very low tolerance for deceit.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Do you make it a habit of misrepresenting what others say to advance your agenda?

I never said anything about blame. You are, again, putting words in my mouth.

Again, my statement:

You have ignored the 'more' before 'commonly.' Do you understand the difference between 'more' and "most?"

Misrepresent me again and we will be done here. I have a very low tolerance for deceit.

This post is a perfect example of splitting hairs.

ChieftheCef

I term it as apologistics, word maze (word salad, Shabda Jaala), superstition. Explain it anyway you want. The world, universe, does not care about good or bad or humans.
You only believe that because you haven't seen all of science and much of religion. The reality is alive. It's one of those things you learn when you're enlightened
'Is necessary' or it happens naturally depending upon the conditions. Animals, humans are inherently selfish.

thats a fallacy. Organisms are to the degree they can be altruistic. They all enjoy play as babies.
It is a biological phenomenon, whether for food or sex or to do less work at the expense of others.
You are a pessimist and not a realist for the reasons stated above. Don't be jaded.
Society needs peace and creates the rules. No God involved there.
Not even kind of, everything involves the great nothingness, the quantum foam, the abzence

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You only believe that because you haven't seen all of science and much of religion. The reality is alive. It's one of those things you learn when you're enlightened

Any actual evidence that you are enlightened??? And please give evidence as per reality as such and not just what you think/feel.
And what is that?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

thats a fallacy. Organisms are to the degree they can be altruistic. They all enjoy play as babies.

You are a pessimist and not a realist for the reasons stated above. Don't be jaded.

Not even kind of, everything involves the great nothingness, the quantum foam, the abzence
I am enlightened, I speak of reality as it is, no sugar-coating.
Well, at times. Children and babies too are basically selfish. That is the way we have evolved.
You would hardly find a more optimistic person than me at the age of 82. It is our first exchange of thoughts.
Yes, I do not dispute that. Quantum foam, nothingness or everythingness (perhaps the same thing) is what actually exists.
I note from your profile that you have talked about nothing and everything in another topic, and that you are 29. :D
I am an atheist Hindu and I follow Advaita (non-dual) philosophy. My best wishes to you.

ChieftheCef

I am enlightened, I speak of reality as it is, no sugar-coating.
Well, at times. Children and babies too are basically selfish. That is the way we have evolved.
You would hardly find a more optimistic person than me at the age of 82. It is our first exchange of thoughts.
Yes, I do not dispute that. Quantum foam, nothingness or everythingness (perhaps the same thing) is what actually exists.
I note from your profile that you have talked about nothing and everything in another topic, and that you are 29. :D
I am an atheist Hindu and I follow Advaita (non-dual) philosophy. My best wishes to you.
Atheist like, Kapila? I am that myself. I just speak with the living reality, gods composing god and all that and have my own ceremonies and rituals based off of what has worked for me. Best wishes to you too, sorry for before, I didn't have my caffeine

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Atheist like, Kapila?
Yeah, somewhat like Kapila of Samkhya and Kanada of Vaisheshika. I follow Sankara and Buddha. :)
Edit:
Sankara said, 'Brahma satyam, jagan-mithya, jeevo brahmaiva na parah'
(Brahman (alone) is the truth, the perceived is an illusion, a living being is no different than Brahman)
I have extended it to non-living as well. After all, they too are constituted by what constitutes us (atom and molecules)

Last edited: