• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion's Future or Lack of it

Madsaac

Declining where? Because globally there isn't much of a decline at all. Religion is declining in the West because people are more individualistic and not inclined to regimentation of dogma and doctrine. They aren't exactly becoming atheists either rather they have made their spiritual views more personal which is the reason why "spiritual not religious" and the various permutations of it is the fastest growing religion in the West. People are just trading their Bibles for yoga mats.
Yes you are right. I was referring to West and the decline of the traditional religions. Other countries adopting the more traditional religions will soon see the error of their ways.

And I think its a good thing that people are becoming more spiritual because people with yoga mats have the same rights as others in society.

Last edited:

PearlSeeker

What's the future for religion? It's a big question but it looks like it's on the decline, especially in west.

What are the reasons for the decline?
- Decline of the Patriarchal society
- Acceptance of diverse cultural and societal issues like same sex marriage, gender, abortion, IVF, divorce, abortion, homosexuality and contraception. (Wow)
- Public morality being determined by law and not religion
- Hypocrisies of religion
- Society can see that countries that are less religious actually tend to be less corrupt and have lower murder rates than religious ones
- Individual critical thinking
- Any more?

And how long has religion got? A few hundred years or less?

Here are just a couple of the hundreds of articles on the subject.

The religious profile of the world is rapidly changing, driven primarily by differences in fertility rates and the size of youth populations among the world’s major religions, as well as by people switching faiths. Over the next four decades, Christians will remain the largest religious group, but Islam will grow faster than any other major religion. If current trends continue, by 2050 …

Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion – though increasing in countries such as the United States and France – will make up a declining share of the world’s total population.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I would offer in rerurn, that Like it or not, humanity is one, we all have the same Spirit available, we are all created of the same Spirit.

You do not have to agree and that is a gift of the Spirit.

The Bible offers it is a personal choice ro be born from the flesh into the knowledge of the Spirit.

Regards Tony

Yeah, that is your faith. I have another one.

Madsaac

The religious profile of the world is rapidly changing, driven primarily by differences in fertility rates and the size of youth populations among the world’s major religions, as well as by people switching faiths. Over the next four decades, Christians will remain the largest religious group, but Islam will grow faster than any other major religion. If current trends continue, by 2050 …

Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion – though increasing in countries such as the United States and France – will make up a declining share of the world’s total population.

Yeah here is a more recent projection below. Interesting stuff.

There is no doubt religion is declining in Europe, North America and Australia/NZ.

I don't know how to say this or sound prejudice but these parts of the world are the most 'developed' parts of world.

Compared to Africa, India, Middle East, South America where numbers may be stagnate or increasing in religion.

What sort of picture does this paint?

Well Europe, North America and Australia/NZ have:

- Acceptance of diverse cultural and societal issues like same sex marriage, gender, abortion, IVF, divorce, abortion, homosexuality and contraception. (Wow)
- Less hypocrisies of religion
- Society can see that countries that are less religious actually tend to be less corrupt and have lower murder rates than religious ones

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yeah here is a more recent projection below. Interesting stuff.

There is no doubt religion is declining in Europe, North America and Australia/NZ.

I don't know how to say this or sound prejudice but these parts of the world are the most 'developed' parts of world.

Compared to Africa, India, Middle East, South America where numbers may be stagnate or increasing in religion.

What sort of picture does this paint?

Well Europe, North America and Australia/NZ have:

Yeah, it is one long appeal to emotions.
Now I am not religious in the standard sense, but I can do individual critical thinking and your post seems to have the hidden assumptions that non-religion is better than religion. So to do critical thinking is in part to ask if there is any evidence that non-religion is better than religion.

And in the broad sense if what matters for being a human can be done with evidence?

Tomef

Yeah, for now. But I am question if that knowledge is for all time and space when it comes to ultimate truth.
To me it seems like a nonsense question. Is there an ultimate reality is a useful question, as it can be imagined that might mean something, the whole sum of everything there is. But what does ultimate truth refer to, even theoretically? It doesn’t mean anything. Ultimate truth about what, and how defined? You might say that maybe as some point the question might make sense, but until it does you just have a question about something you can’t define, like dry wetness or something like that.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
To me it seems like a nonsense question. Is there an ultimate reality is a useful question, as it can be imagined that might mean something, the whole sum of everything there is. But what does ultimate truth refer to, even theoretically? It doesn’t mean anything. Ultimate truth about what, and how defined? You might say that maybe as some point the question might make sense, but until it does you just have a question about something you can’t define, like dry wetness or something like that.

Yes, the bold we can agree on.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What's science got to do with it? (Well a small part)

In the context of what I was talking about just then, I was making a comparison - lots of science advocates (myself included) bemoan the poor state of scientific literacy in the United States. But that pales in comparison to the vastly poorer state of religious literacy. Going into why is a bit of a tangent but is mainly intended to point out that those who think religion is on the decline are nearly always speaking out of ignorance. Or are being sloppy with words, which tends to happen out of ignorance as well. It would be accurate to say that some organized and institutional religions, specifically some branches of Christianity, are shrinking demographically in the United States. It's not accurate to then generalize this to religion as a whole, which is more or less intrinsic to the human species. Humans are myth-making, meaning-finding, value-attributing, relationship-forming, and celebration-throwing animals; that will continue as long as humans are human. Near as I can tell, anyway.

I'm talking about the changing landscape of religion and the influence it has on humanity, namely the west, and because of various reasons as stated in the OP, it's dying a slow death

And I'm referring to the big religions.

So I thought this thread would make you happy because Paganism could move on from it's little 'cubbyhole' into something bigger?
I don't care about that, and indigenous religions are one of the "big religions" of the world, not that it matters. So are religions that don't exactly fit the narrative you're trying to push here, like Buddhism and Hinduism. The problem with religion is that very little can be said about it until we get more specific. I suppose I get a bit tired at attempts at otherwise, even though they are unfortunately very common in my country. Folks conflate religion with Christianity (usually some particular type of Christianity they don't like is what they have in mind) all the time, and on top of that conflate religion with theism, accepting an afterlife, and a whole other assortment of things that don't particularly need to be part of any specific religion (and aren't). Like patriarchy. Or morality being governed by it. Or critical thinking somehow being anathema to it.

More thoughtful attempts have been made to examine demographic shifts amongst various religious traditions that (mostly) avoid these kinds of errors. PEW Research has taken a look at this, asking questions like why someone has (and if they have) changed religions and why:

About half of those who have become unaffiliated say – in response to the survey’s yes-or-no questions – that they became unaffiliated, at least in part, because they think of religious people as hypocritical, judgmental or insincere. Large numbers also say they became unaffiliated because they think that religious organizations focus too much on rules and not enough on spirituality, or that religious leaders are too focused on money and power rather than truth and spirituality. Another reason cited by many people who are now unaffiliated is the belief that many religions are partly true but no single religion is completely true. Fewer people, however, say they became unaffiliated because they think modern science proves that religion is just superstition, indicating that the belief that science disproves religion is a less important reason for becoming unaffiliated than disenchantment with religious people or institutions.

If we want to know whether the things you cite as factors are actually important factors, research data is needed.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What doctrines and why?
The following list contains some beliefs that are central to Christianity upon which the Christian doctrines are based.
These beliefs annoy me to no end because I believe they are false and they are misleading millions of people.

1) Jesus is God
2) Jesus is the only way to God
3) Jesus rose from the dead
4) Jesus is going to return to earth

Madsaac

Yeah, it is one long appeal to emotions.
Now I am not religious in the standard sense, but I can do individual critical thinking and your post seems to have the hidden assumptions that non-religion is better than religion. So to do critical thinking is in part to ask if there is any evidence that non-religion is better than religion.

And in the broad sense if what matters for being a human can be done with evidence?

Evidence below, well sort of but you get the gist and do you agree with the gist? Or would you prefer to live in a non secular society?

I'd say there are more

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Evidence below, well sort of but you get the gist and do you agree with the gist? Or would you prefer to live in a non secular society?

I'd say there are more
Have you presented any actual research evidence to support this? I may have missed it if you presented your data earlier in the thread. Remember - "religion" (as if it is some monolithic entity) isn't even a thing. Specific religions and affiliations are.

Bonus homework - cover the extensive history of contributions of religion to education, science, society, and culture throughout human history?

Madsaac

In the context of what I was talking about just then, I was making a comparison - lots of science advocates (myself included) bemoan the poor state of scientific literacy in the United States. But that pales in comparison to the vastly poorer state of religious literacy. Going into why is a bit of a tangent but is mainly intended to point out that those who think religion is on the decline are nearly always speaking out of ignorance. Or are being sloppy with words, which tends to happen out of ignorance as well. It would be accurate to say that some organized and institutional religions, specifically some branches of Christianity, are shrinking demographically in the United States. It's not accurate to then generalize this to religion as a whole, which is more or less intrinsic to the human species. Humans are myth-making, meaning-finding, value-attributing, relationship-forming, and celebration-throwing animals; that will continue as long as humans are human. Near as I can tell, anyway.

I don't care about that, and indigenous religions are one of the "big religions" of the world, not that it matters. So are religions that don't exactly fit the narrative you're trying to push here, like Buddhism and Hinduism. The problem with religion is that very little can be said about it until we get more specific. I suppose I get a bit tired at attempts at otherwise, even though they are unfortunately very common in my country. Folks conflate religion with Christianity (usually some particular type of Christianity they don't like is what they have in mind) all the time, and on top of that conflate religion with theism, accepting an afterlife, and a whole other assortment of things that don't particularly need to be part of any specific religion (and aren't). Like patriarchy. Or morality being governed by it. Or critical thinking somehow being anathema to it.

More thoughtful attempts have been made to examine demographic shifts amongst various religious traditions that (mostly) avoid these kinds of errors. PEW Research has taken a look at this, asking questions like why someone has (and if they have) changed religions and why:

If we want to know whether the things you cite as factors are actually important factors, research data is needed.
I understand what you mean, and I'll be the first to admit my threads/posts can be a little unrefined. I'm no Bertrand Russel or Richard Dawkins and won't pretend to be. However, I still want to express my point of view and on this occasion.......

Countries that think religion is less important, are better places to live....in general. And here are more recent findings from Pew on the subject.

When talking about religion, hear are some reasons to why I think they are better places to live.

Now you may disagree, which is fine. If you'd prefer to live in a Patriarchal society for example, then that's cool

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Now you may disagree, which is fine. If you'd prefer to live in a Patriarchal society for example, then that's cool
I don't disagree because of my opinions about sexism and society (though I have plenty those) - I disagree because religion is not only an endemic and avoidable aspect of being human but because religion is an extremely heterogenous entity and I'm tired of folks painting it as if all the same when it very clearly isn't. Maybe you live in an extremely conservative area, but none of the things you cite have I noticed an absence of when looking at the broad spectrum of religious traditions in just my town. The UU fellowship alone defies pretty much the entire list of stuff you constructed there, as do the more progressive Christian churches here (there are many, I live in a university town - you see them flying pride flags during pride month all the time).

I'll dig into the PEW study some more when I've got a moment, though, so thanks for putting that back in as a reference for me!

Madsaac

I don't disagree because of my opinions about sexism and society (though I have plenty those) - I disagree because religion is not only an endemic and avoidable aspect of being human but because religion is an extremely heterogenous entity and I'm tired of folks painting it as if all the same when it very clearly isn't. Maybe you live in an extremely conservative area, but none of the things you cite have I noticed an absence of when looking at the broad spectrum of religious traditions in just my town. The UU fellowship alone defies pretty much the entire list of stuff you constructed there, as do the more progressive Christian churches here (there are many, I live in a university town - you see them flying pride flags during pride month all the time).

I'll dig into the PEW study some more when I've got a moment, though, so thanks for putting that back in as a reference for me!

No I should have been clearer, I was talking about the 'big three' religions. No, I live in Australia, a place where according to Pew, only 18% say religion is very important to them.

And I am looking in a broad spectrum, globally.

Finally, I just think if these types of religion didn't have such an influence on culture and societies, I think the world would be a better place.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

I'd say there are more

I don't agree with the gist of it.