• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion's Future or Lack of it

RestlessSoul

That’s exactly the point, acceptance of the reality that there is no ultimate truth to discover has never been so widespread as in the post post modern world.

How do you support your assertion that there is no ultimate truth to discover? And upon what grounds do you proclaim this nihilistic philosophy to be reality?

RestlessSoul

I am so tired of opening posts like this. The ignorance folks have about the subject of religion makes the ignorance folks have about the subject of science look like a doctoral degree. Except worse, because while religion is a human universal, science is not. You'd think folks would be more familiar with something that is intrinsic to their nature as a species.

I would go so far as to say that to argue science invalidates religion, suggests only the most superficial understanding of either.

Declining where? Because globally there isn't much of a decline at all. Religion is declining in the West because people are more individualistic and not inclined to regimentation of dogma and doctrine. They aren't exactly becoming atheists either rather they have made their spiritual views more personal which is the reason why "spiritual not religious" and the various permutations of it is the fastest growing religion in the West. People are just trading their Bibles for yoga mats.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I would go so far as to say that to argue science invalidates religion, suggests only the most superficial understanding of either.
I dunno about superficial, exactly, but perhaps non-comprehensive. Goodness knows my own religiousness was (and is) strongly driven by study of the sciences. The main reason I pursued a post-graduate degree in the first place was to better serve the gods in a way that was financially viable in the modern day (unlike, say, trying to become clergy for a religious minority that simply can't support that most of the time).

Tomef

How do you support your assertion that there is no ultimate truth to discover? And upon what grounds do you proclaim this nihilistic philosophy to be reality?
Why would anyone think there is? I mean, what is meant by ‘ultimate truth?’ It just seems to be a nonsense statement. Ultimate truth about what? How defined?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well I think humanity is becoming more and more accepting of each other, on the whole.
I agree, and that might correlate with the decline of Christianity, which does not accept any other religion as the truth.
At the same time as a decline in religion, coincidence?
The decline in religion does not pertain to all the religions. Some religions such as Islam and the Baha'i Faith are growing.

Changes in Frequency of U.S. Religious Service Attendance Over Past Two Decades, by Religion. A table showing changes in U.S. church attendance between 2000-2003 and 2021-2023. Overall, regular religious services attendance among U.S. adults has declined from 42% to 30%, with declines among most groups.Mar 25, 2024
Church Attendance Has Declined in Most U.S. Religious Groups

Which religion is declining the fastest?

According to the same study Christianity, is expected to lose a net of 66 million adherents (40 million converts versus 106 million apostate) mostly to religiously unaffiliated category between 2010 and 2050. It is also expected that Christianity may have the largest net losses in terms of religious conversion.

Growth of religion - Wikipedia

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Science is only a factor in the decline of superstitious religiosity. But that certainly does not represent religion as a whole, as much of religion is not superstition based.
I might add that not all religions are superstition based.
Christianity is not the only religion in the world.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No you are right, science would definitely have an effect on the decline of religion,
Science would definitely have an effect on the decline of Christianity, but Christianity is not the only religion in the world.
especially when explaining the once unexplainable
Science and religion fall under a different purview.
Science pertains to the material world and related matters whereas religion pertains to spiritual matters and the world beyond this world.

Science cannot explain the unexplainable, that is what religion attempts to do.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why would anyone think there is? I mean, what is meant by ‘ultimate truth?’ It just seems to be a nonsense statement. Ultimate truth about what? How defined?
Imo there is an ultimate truth, but that is inaccessible to humans. Only God knows the ultimate truth.

God's truth is not revealed to humans all at once time and that is one reason why no religion has all the truth we will ever need.
God's truth is revealed to humans in stages, according to humanity's ability to understand truth.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In the case of Christianity, I think one of the biggest reasons is that people just love something else more than what Jesus says. For people who hate the truth, Jesus can be annoying.
I like the truth so Jesus has never been annoying to me.
That said, the doctrines of Christianity annoy me to no end. :mad:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Well, yes. But the problem is that in the end you rely on induction. Namely that it will remain so forever. But that is unknown. So that there is no ultimate truth is not an ultimate truth. :)

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
That’s exactly the point, acceptance of the reality that there is no ultimate truth to discover has never been so widespread as in the post post modern world.
This fact has been foretold and fully expected, it indicates that Religion will be renewed as humanity has reached the darkest ages of self, which is the destruction of our humanity.

Only God given faith can relieve us from self destruction.

Regards Tony

Tomef

And upon what grounds do you proclaim this nihilistic philosophy to be reality?
There’s nothing nihilistic about living authentically. Many things are true, genuine, authentic. What isn’t ‘true’ is this frippery about ‘ultimate truth’. No-one who says that kind of thing has any idea what they mean, just some vague religious-y notion that some such thing must exist.