• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Ignorance.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
We are suppose to have freedom of religion, not freedom from religion!

Regarding the second part of your sentance, how do you figure? I understand that we do in fact have freedom from religion. In others words, I am supposed to be free from religions compelling me to live their religion - freedom from religion.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Regarding the second part of your sentance, how do you figure? I understand that we do in fact have freedom from religion. In others words, I am supposed to be free from religions compelling me to live their religion - freedom from religion.
I agree.
However there are many people who take it to mean that they are to be free of even seeing or hearing anything and everything that they relate to religion.

Christmas music on the radio, Nativity scenes, the word God, etc.

And the fact is that the Constitution does not state that you are free from anything and everything that you relate to religion.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

How do you figure? I can stand on the street corner and preach all day long and if you had freedom from religion, you could stop me.

Where does it say in the constitution that you are free from religion? It says in God we trust on our currency. Every time someone pays you, you are not free from religion.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
How do you figure? I can stand on the street corner and preach all day long and if you had freedom from religion, you could stop me.

Well, basically reading your posts on rf is the virtual equivalent a of preacher on a street corner, lol. Even if you disagree with my analogy, it is beside the point; the point is, even if you preach all day long I am in fact free from your religion. I am free to walk away and free to blow you off. I am not compelled to live by your day long sermon. We have freedom of speech and if you aren't breaking any bylaws by preaching on the corner then you are free to preach. It is just words coming out of your mouth, no big deal, who cares? But if you had the law on your side to force people to live by the stuff coming out of your mouth then we wouldn’t be free from you religion. See, freedom from religion. Ricky, it is simple.

Where does it say in the constitution that you are free from religion? It says in God we trust on our currency. Every time someone pays you, you are not free from religion.

Just because the currency has "in god we trust" doesn't mean I am not free from religion. The words on the bill don’t faze me. I can still derive the monetary value of the paper and completely ignore the declaration. I am absolutely free to be completely non-offended or feel controlled by the sentiment. For me, it is just a sentiment that has the cultural equivalency of over hearing somebody exclaim "god bless you" when somebody else sneezes. Who cares, it just doesn't matter baby. If the currency forced me to trust god, then yeah, I wouldn’t be free from religion. Simple, huh.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
learning about a religion is different from preaching a religion. :tsk:

RR I live in the same country as you do and I was taught about the history, basic tenants and cultural influence of all the worlds major religions. I'm sorry your school wasn't so informative.

wa:do

It is differnt, preaching is telling that person to believe in it and accept that thought, or way of life. Whereas learning is entertaining the though, pondering on it, that does not necessarily mean you are accepting it. Im not becoming a christian while learning about christianity, am i?

Here is a great quote:

"The mark of an educated mind is one who can entertain a thought withough accepting it." ~ Aristotle

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have never had a religious person stalk me. I stopped going to chat rooms, though, because some men there felt they needed to ask me for cyber sexual favors all the time. I wasn't really offended but I certainly felt uncomfortable so I just stopped going. It was too bad too, since I enjoyed chatting online. But I never had that happen to me with religion.

I would go where you went Christine! It looks like a funny place. Id love to go there and just go and take the p**s out of them... LOL. I'd just annoy them and annoy them out of the chatroom.

BruceDLimber

Christianity is clearly not the only religion practiced or taught--here or virtually anywhere else!--, and there are religions that are anything BUT "clueless!"

Peace,

Bruce

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
not true.

Wicca and other forms of paganism are in London (and all England)
There are Bahai, Buddists, Hindu and so on.

Education isn't just something the government hands you. You have a duty to learn and an obligation to seek it out.

That isnt in curriculum, trust me i know, i live here. Panganism, Wicca?! No way, most people havent even heard of it. The govrnmnt has an obligation to show their nation all these different people, and really become diverse.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
you mean you've never heard of the massive festivals neo-Druids and other pagan groups hold at Stonehenge?

The BBC has sources on paganism in the UK
BBC - h2g2 - A Basic Introduction to Paganism - A1032166
they have a spot on the BBC's Religion sites front page:
BBC - Religion & Ethics

there is the Pagan Foundation
About The Pagan Federation

And the British Druid Order group has a prison ministry...since 1997
British Druid Order: Pagan Prison Ministry

and so on. I mean really, I've known about British pagans since the 1980's and I'm from America.

Like I said, you have a duty to educate yourself as much as the government does. The government just has an obligation to allow everyone to live in peace and freedom. Secularism at its finest.