• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Vegetarians, Untie!

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Mikael

All veg in our house! And for children, don´t worry. They´re fine on a veg-diet (we do eat eggs and milk from local sources).

Fake meat: DON´T BUY NON-ECOLOGICAL SOY-PRODUCTS!!!!!!! People are DYING AS WE SPEAK, men women and children, on the brazilian plantations, from extremely poisonous substances sprayed on the fields. And soy-lecitine is used as an emulsifier in alot of different products so skip those too.

(And cows get imported soybeans as nutrients, so meat is now also human murder. )

Wannabe Yogi

I personally think you have to wait about a year to eat fake meat or it just tastes awful.

The Hotdogs still suck after 20 years. Fake meat is best in some type of souce.I make a fake meat pasta sauce that meat eaters love. My son has been a veg his whole life (except one night )he seems to like the stuff that tastes less like real meat.

Last edited:

Mikael

I usually get Quorn, it's mycoprotein.

Yep, quorn is good! I like the dried stuff. Takes up very little shelf-space. Just let swell what you need for the meal! Remember, though, that it is pretty much an egg-based product (though it says so only in the very fine print).

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The fake meats my parents buy are really good. Asian grocery stores tend to have good fake meats.

I found that the products in America were generally poorer quality but there were some good things. I went to a place called Zephyrs in Long Beach and their mock chicken was delicious. Mock chicken is actually my favourite.

What kind of recipes are you looking for? There is a lot you can find online. Do you like Asian food? Mediterranean food?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Good move, Nate. I go completely veg from time to time and I always see a big difference in the way I feel.

I did it for 6 weeks last summer and I felt 15 years younger: slept better, a lot more energy, had a better attitude about life in general. Although I don't know to what extent it was the lack of meat, and to what extent it was because of all the fresh, raw fruits, vegetables, and nuts I was eating.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I can recommend some great vegan cookbooks if anyone is interested.

I'm vegetarian, but I went vegan for 9 months and found some cool authors along the way. Even if you aren't vegan, these recipes are worth having.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can recommend some great vegan cookbooks if anyone is interested.

I'm vegetarian, but I went vegan for 9 months and found some cool authors along the way. Even if you aren't vegan, these recipes are worth having.
I'm interested. recommend away.

Just_me_Mike

My wife went vege two weeks ago, and she is doing great. It changes up our meals that we have now, so it is good for us all.

A

angellous_evangellous

I made an awesome all-organic veggie lasagne last night!

Just layers of organic Barillo pasta sause, chopped veggies (cubed zuchinne, chopped carrots, sweet peppers, a sweet onion, mushrooms), and a cheese mixture (richotta, two eggs, mozeralla, and colby-jack).

YUM

Just_me_Mike

I made an awesome all-organic veggie lasagne last night!

Just layers of organic Barillo pasta sause, chopped veggies (cubed zuchinne, chopped carrots, sweet peppers, a sweet onion, mushrooms), and a cheese mixture (richotta, two eggs, mozeralla, and colby-jack).

YUM
Do you and your wife have kids? If so, are they enjoying the food?

A

angellous_evangellous

Do you and your wife have kids? If so, are they enjoying the food?

No kids yet. But zuchinni is great, as are eggplant and tofu and mushrooms that can be seasoned like meat.

As long as you stay away from - or at least reduce the intake of - broccoli and other bitter greens, I think that you'll be ok.

Just a thought.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm interested. recommend away.

Yay! Okay...

Vegan With a Vengeance :

* This was my first book and one I recommend for anyone trying the vegan diet for the first time. The recipes are simple, so a person isn't looking at the list of ingredients and thinking, "What the hell?!", and they are good. I bake, so the absence of eggs frustrated me in a big way, but Isa's scones and cookies placated me.

The Complete Vegan Kitchen :

* In addition to a variety of recipes, this book is also a great resource. Jannequin addresses nutrition and introduces ingredients that may be unfamiliar to a new vegan.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World :

* Eggless baking isn't perfect, but Isa manages to make the best of things with these recipes. Your cupcakes will either be very dense or on the verge of falling apart, but they will taste wonderful! The homemade frostings alone are worth the purchase of the book, and I happily pair them with my non-vegan baked goods.

Vegan Yum Yum :

* My absolute favorite! I actually get requests from omnivores for some of Lauren's recipes, which says it all. Warning: The book isn't bound well and will start to look quite used very quickly.

I have a couple of others, but these are the ones I feel are worth passing on. :)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
No kids yet. But zuchinni is great, as are eggplant and tofu and mushrooms that can be seasoned like meat.

As long as you stay away from - or at least reduce the intake of - broccoli and other bitter greens, I think that you'll be ok.

Just a thought.

Just curious..why stay away or reduce intake of vegetables like brocolli?

Love

Dallas

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Just curious..why stay away or reduce intake of vegetables like brocolli?

Love

Dallas

I was talking about introducing vegetarian diet kids - stick to sweeter veggies rather than bitter ones.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I was talking about introducing vegetarian diet kids - stick to sweeter veggies rather than bitter ones.

DUH!! I see..I should have figured that out in the context you recommended that in.

Even though I will say...kids should IMHO already be eating a fair amount of all the vegetables bitter included whether they are vegetarians or not.

Love

Dallas