• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock of offence to the Jews

dance-above

Should we continue to share the Gospel with the Jews if it offends them?

Romans 11:25
For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
I think if someone does not want what you think they should want, it is best to respect that.

edit: And...even though most of my family is Christian, we do have some Jewish family members who are most excellent people, and I find your speaking of Jewish people as "Enemies of the Cross" to be way out of line. They do not establish themselves as enemies -- and I don't like you labeling them that way.

Last edited:

dance-above

I think if someone does not want what you think they should want, it is best to respect that.

I do agree with this all the way. Its just that I get carried away sometimes with answering a post with my full belief and sometimes my answers seems offensive too them.

dance-above

edit: And...even though most of my family is Christian, we do have some Jewish family members who are most excellent people, and I find your speaking of Jewish people as "Enemies of the Cross" to be way out of line. They do not establish themselves as enemies -- and I don't like you labeling them that way.
I understand you don't like it but it comes from the scripture. So should I refrain from answering post with scriptures that might offend them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I'm not sure that being an "enemy of the cross" is a bad thing to be. I wouldn't mind being called an "enemy of the guillotine", so why not "enemy of the cross" as well?

In fact, I'd probably be fine with you calling me an enemy of execution devices across the board.

4consideration

Premium Member
I do agree with this all the way. Its just that I get carried away sometimes with answering a post with my full belief and sometimes my answers seems offensive too them.

What do you expect when you put the words "Enemies of the Cross" in huge, bold font?

The way I see it, people can disagree (a lot) on religious issues, and not be enemies -- at all -- with a simple and easy level of respect for each other to have a right to their own understanding, and acknowledgement that only God knows the whole truth.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Enemies of the Cross
But there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. Galatians 1:7 They are the enemies of the cross of Christ. Phillipians 3:18

If one wants to remain popular, the best stand to take on any issue is that of indifference. But if we are to be true to our God and His holy Word, we cannot be indifferent over the issues concerning the gospel. Many in our day have taken the gospel and rounded off its edges so that it will be offensive to no one. They have diluted it and mixed it with strange fruit, so that it might be more palatable and easily digested by men. But the 'true gospel' will always be offensive to some because, "the Stone which the builders disallowed (rejected), the same is made the Head of the corner, and a Stone of stumbling, and a Rock of offense" (1 Pet. 2:7,8). Its edge can never be blunted, "For the Word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Heb. 4:12). We need never apologize for His Word, nor should we ever back down from openly proclaiming it. Though there be many who despise the gospel and its Christ; "unto you therefore which believe He is precious" (1 Pet. 2:7).

I don't mean to be churlish and simply return offense for offense. But this post amply demonstrated to me that your religion is a human creation.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I understand you don't like it but it comes from the scripture. So should I refrain from answering post with scriptures that might offend them.

No, just be conscious of the fact that when you post offensive things from scripture, people are likely to be offended. When you repeat something, don't hide behind the Bible; take responsibility for the words you've said and the responses you've elicited.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Is an enemy of the cross a person who doesn't have any care at all towards the gospel or someone who "perverts" it?

dance-above

There is no way possible to speak the truth and not offend someone.

AmbiguousGuy

But if we are to be true to our God and His holy Word, we cannot be indifferent over the issues concerning the gospel. Many in our day have taken the gospel and rounded off its edges so that it will be offensive to no one. They have diluted it and mixed it with strange fruit, so that it might be more palatable and easily digested by men.
I think you're mistaken. God doesn't care what we believe. It's unimportant to Him.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I, for one, am an 'enemy of the cross' and perfectly capable of accessing and evaluating NT literature without your help.

dance-above

No, just be conscious of the fact that when you post offensive things from scripture, people are likely to be offended. When you repeat something, don't hide behind the Bible; take responsibility for the words you've said and the responses you've elicited.
Without the scripture I have no faith and it will always be where my answers come from. My words are not my own.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Enemies of the Cross
But there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. Galatians 1:7 They are the enemies of the cross of Christ. Phillipians 3:18

If one wants to remain popular, the best stand to take on any issue is that of indifference. But if we are to be true to our God and His holy Word, we cannot be indifferent over the issues concerning the gospel. Many in our day have taken the gospel and rounded off its edges so that it will be offensive to no one.

And many have taken the gospel and sharpened up the edges so they could use it as a weapon against just about everyone.

They have diluted it and mixed it with strange fruit, so that it might be more palatable and easily digested by men. But the 'true gospel' will always be offensive to some because, "the Stone which the builders disallowed (rejected), the same is made the Head of the corner, and a Stone of stumbling, and a Rock of offense" (1 Pet. 2:7,8). Its edge can never be blunted, "For the Word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Heb. 4:12). We need never apologize for His Word, nor should we ever back down from openly proclaiming it. Though there be many who despise the gospel and its Christ; "unto you therefore which believe He is precious" (1 Pet. 2:7).

This is just a sermon and it doesn't belong here.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Your words are most certainly your own. If you decide to repeat the Bible to someone, that's your choice. Own up to it.

I think this is lost on a lot of people. Some of the most offensive things can be said and then there will be surprise if there is any offense taken :tsk: