• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa Clause?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Deliberately telling lies as truth (Santa) is a wicked lie.
It is a pretty harmless lie and not very convincing. Only children believe that one.
There are lies for adults - which aren't very much more elaborate - which are believed by millions.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Did you teach your kids to believe in Santa? Why or why not? My sister told her kids the truth and that Santa was a lie and wrong because it teaches the belief in magic. My other two sisters taught their kids to believe.
It is hard to avoid, and it builds up the children's excitement.
My 6-year old grand daughter is starting to question his existence; she went to see Santa with her parents and said, "That's a different Santa to the one we saw at school"

We Never Know

No Slack
I knew this would happen sooner or later

IMG_20231218_141942.jpg

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It is a pretty harmless lie and not very convincing. Only children believe that one.
There are lies for adults - which aren't very much more elaborate - which are believed by millions.
I did use the adjective 'deliberate '
In scripture a lie is either: on purpose or not, willful or not, premeditated or not, by accident or not, deliberate or not..........
Sure, there are lies for adults but that does Not make it right. Does Not turn a lie into being a fact, being the truth.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I believe God created everything as told in the Bible.
I don't know much about the Bible but the creation as told in the Bible is very magical including El using words to work the magic, i.e. spells.
That is something that discerns (most) atheists from (most) believers. (The actual difference is between naturalists and non naturalists but the overlap is so strong that it doesn't make much of a difference.)
You believe that the laws of nature can be bend or broken by a divine being (i.e. magic) and we don't.

Did you teach your kids to believe in Santa? Why or why not?

I deliberately don't have any children of my own (they don't fit into my lifestyle), so I can only report from my experience with family and friends. Some of the children I know grew up with Santa Claus, and their parents' reasoning was usually something like "then they'll be happy!". I am of the opinion that parents whose children are only happy when you lie to them are basically doing something wrong.

It has no advantage for a child's development to "believe" in an advertising figure from Coca-Cola or that a fat old man gives them expensive things for no reason. I think it's cheeky that my parents also lied to me when I was a child. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I don't know much about the Bible but the creation as told in the Bible is very magical including El using words to work the magic, i.e. spells.
The words were not spells and do nothing on their own. If they would, you could also do the same by saying the words.