• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saving Yourself for Marriage?

Shermana

Heretic
If a wealthy man meets a poor woman with whom he falls in love, he might be willing to marry her if she is a virgin despite the fact she is poor. If she is not a virgin, however, he might prefer to marry a wealthy woman who is a virgin even if he doesn’t love her. So the return on virginity for a poor girl is the probability of marrying a rich man multiplied by his income

So yeah, that's kinda pretty much how it works.

But hey if you're not looking for a wealthy man, ladies, I guess that doesn't apply to you. As much at least.

Volodya

no broken relationships to emotionally scar you

Emotional scars are good for the soul.

no unwanted pregnancy which means you can finish school, get a job and start planning for your future.
men cannot get pregnant.

no sexually transmitted diseases
ever heard of condoms?

self respect / self esteem
agreed, only those with low self esteem avoid sex.

the respect of your peers
losers and dorks you mean, no thanks.

peace of mind
sexual frustration is no kind of peace.

a good conscience knowing you've done things Gods way..... and you'll have his approval which is more important then anything.
Pleeeeeeeeeese, that's such nonsense.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Do you think those things are impossible if you have sex before marriage?

i think it depends

For a worshiper of God, someone who knows Gods laws and strives to live by them, then no. I dont those things are possible.

but for someone who isn't concerned with what God thinks, then sure i guess. But that doesnt mean that it will be smooth sailing.

roger1440

I do stuff
Are there any advantages to not having sex before marriage? If so, what are those advantages? How important are they when compared to the advantages, if any, of having sex before marriage?
Not making babies would be on the top of my list.

Draka

Wonder Woman
no broken relationships to emotionally scar you
You can't have a relationship and NOT have sex??? :areyoucra

no unwanted pregnancy which means you can finish school, get a job and start planning for your future.
Pre-marital sex does not automatically equal pregnant teen

no crazy ex boyfriends coming back to haunt you
Again, you can't have a boyfriend without sleeping with him? Have you no control?

no sexually transmitted diseases
Covered this in a different post, Go look.

self respect / self esteem

the respect of your peers

peace of mind
Are you saying that those who have sex outside of marriage don't have these things?

a good conscience knowing you've done things Gods way..... and you'll have his approval which is more important then anything.
So far, this seems to be the one and only reason that stands for you...your personal religious belief. The rest don't hold water.

Shermana

Heretic
There's also the whole "honor" thing but I'm surprised so many people just don't feel that naturally. I guess that's just some social custom everyone around the world simultaneously invented.

Volodya

There's also the whole "honor" thing but I'm surprised so many people just don't feel that naturally. I guess that's just some social custom everyone around the world simultaneously invented.

honor - what are you talking about?

where's the honor in being a virgin??

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Are you saying everyone -- or at least, every culture -- thinks it's honorable to avoid sex before marriage? If so, how do you account for, say, the traditional Japanese custom of having one or two lovers before marriage?

Draka

Wonder Woman

Is the "honorable" thing to do to judge someone else's relationship and the depth of it and the decisions made within it among the two involved?

Shermana

Heretic
Is the "honorable" thing to do to judge someone else's relationship and the depth of it and the decisions made within it among the two involved?

Depends. If you're a member of a particular population group that is trying to uphold what they believe and feel is "honorable", then yes, judging is in fact THE honorable thing to do, to ensure that such honorable standards are maintained. Absolutely.

Shermana

Heretic
Are you saying everyone -- or at least, every culture -- thinks it's honorable to avoid sex before marriage? If so, how do you account for, say, the traditional Japanese custom of having one or two lovers before marriage?

I was implying more or less the historical example, the trend has been broken in recent times as societies have liberalized. This Japanese custom I'd have to see how recent it is, because I've also encountered references to Japanese insistence on female purity especially during the Samurai period. My guess is that it's only been this way since the Meiji period, but I'd like to find more on it. And I'd like to see more examples, because this custom prevails from Africa to even various Aboriginals, the debauhced, Bacchus-loving Romans and Greeks even had a widespread respect for such "honor" of the female (though for the Romans the honor was mainly reserved for the noble class, which still says something). It's pretty much universal from India to Indians.