• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bans Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
It would seem that there is some degree of concern that kids with strong allergies might suffer if those allergies are openly exposed in the school environment. Is that correct?

Thats how I fee about it.

How often do you think that might happen?

I don't know but there are incidences including one child I know of that died after accidental exposure.Im not sure how many other severe reactions that do not result in death have happened especially now sense measures are being taken.Also though what concerns me is allergies to peanuts is sharply on the rise the past decade.Assuming that trend continues causes me for one greater concern about what lies in the future if nothing is done.

Do you perceive a conflict with the very obvious duty of the school in protecting the children's health?

The main conflict I have seen is some parents up in arms about their kids rights to eat peanut butter and not have to be inconvenienced in school if a class mate is deathly allergic .

Is the concern fueled mainly by worries that other children might want to ridicule them for their health issues?

Of course that needs to be considered as well.But the main concern for me is the safety of the children 1st.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I haven't seen any indication they haven't done this.Do you have an example of a school outing any child with peanut allergies at all let alone against the parents wishes?

I was very involved in volunteering in my youngest sons classrooms k-5 especially.The only child in all those years I knew for a fact had severe peanut allergies was because the mother wanted every one to know.She openly talked about it with the other mothers.Not to mention the kid himself talked about it.

For the second time, I'm speaking more in a general sense, not specifically to the OP.