• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bans Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Parents are resistant to the idea of not allowing their child to eat a peanut butter sandwich, at all, in school. Your hyperbole doesn't really help your argument, Dallas.

Its not hyperbole. I posted a link where parents were picketing in protest at one school in Fla. for requiring their children wash their hands when they got to school and after lunch in two classrooms where one child has severe peanut allergies.This school allows peanuts.

The parents were freaking out claiming the kids faces were being washed by the teachers with clorox.(which was not true ) and that the time it took for the kids to line up and wash their hands 2 times a day was taking away from their instructional time.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Also even in the OP..they reversed the ban on no peanut products for lunch.Then the complaint was the kids had to sit at a "special table".

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I've noticed that parents who "go to the extreme" get things to a middle ground a lot more effectively than those who are lighter on the subject.

I agree with this.Even in the OP the school at first banned any peanut products being brought to school then they compromised allowing them but the kids have to sit at a table designated for peanuts .

This also is not a new thing I think its been mentioned.My son who is 17 now who we packed his lunch for YEARS and many times peanut butter and jelly.Says he remembers something about special tables being assigned for nuts or no nuts he wasn't quite sure.One thing is for sure its not something that stands out in his memories of early school days. Definiteley not something that made him feel picked on or discriminated against.Maybe he was too busy defending himself against the rotten bullies calling him a fat *** every day.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Its not hyperbole. I posted a link where parents were picketing in protest at one school in Fla. for requiring their children wash their hands when they got to school and after lunch in two classrooms where one child has severe peanut allergies.This school allows peanuts.

The parents were freaking out claiming the kids faces were being washed by the teachers with clorox.(which was not true ) and that the time it took for the kids to line up and wash their hands 2 times a day was taking away from their instructional time.

My apologies. I missed the link.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The other thing..I think the superintendent of that school in Fla..mentioned something about they are obligated by law under the Americans with Disabilities Act to make some provisions to accomodate these kids the same as if they were blind or in a wheelchair etc.Its just "odd" because its food related on top of a very traditional and popular lunch box food item for school age kids.I don't think this would even be a debate..if say deadly allergies to chick peas were on the rise in kids .I doubt anyone would mind accomodating a ban on hummus for a handful of kids.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The other thing..I think the superintendent of that school in Fla..mentioned something about they are obligated by law under the Americans with Disabilities Act to make some provisions to accomodate these kids the same as if they were blind or in a wheelchair etc.Its just "odd" because its food related on top of a very traditional and popular lunch box food item for school age kids.I don't think this would even be a debate..if say deadly allergies to chick peas were on the rise in kids .I doubt anyone would mind accomodating a ban on hummus for a handful of kids.

They are obligated by law not to disclose the fact that these kids have a health condition, so I question the legality of placing kids at a separate table, unless it's something that the parents consented to.

Usually when approaching service and accommodation under the auspices of the ADA, the concept is to be as all-inclusive as possible, while meeting specific needs. Avoiding discrimination is a key focus.

Some could argue that a peanut ban was a more fair and less stigmatizing way to ensure the safety of those with peanut allergies, while ensuring that the confidentiality of those students with such allergies was maintained.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
They are obligated by law not to disclose the fact that these kids have a health condition, so I question the legality of placing kids at a separate table, unless it's something that the parents consented to.

Placing children who have peanut products at designated tables is not disclosing any kid has a health condition .

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Avoiding discrimination is a key focus.

Its not discrimination to protect children with deathly allergies to peanuts away from kids with peanuts at the lunch table.Anymore than its discrimination to have one bathroom stall that is larger with handle bars on the walls for the convenience and safety for kids in a wheelchair.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Some could argue that a peanut ban was a more fair and less stigmatizing way to ensure the safety of those with peanut allergies, while ensuring that the confidentiality of those students with such allergies was maintained.

Well then you need to tell that to the parents that ******* about the ban until the school compromised to appease their yapping mouths about their kids rights to eat peanut butter.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Its not discrimination to protect children with deathly allergies to peanuts away from kids with peanuts at the lunch table.Anymore than its discrimination to have one bathroom stall that is larger with handle bars on the walls for the convenience and safety for kids in a wheelchair.

It could be construed in such a way. I'm not speaking specifically to the situation in the OP. In general, I think that what I suggsted from a risk and liability perspective, might work better for all involved as it does not violate confidentiality of health information, lessens the chances of children feeling stigamtized in such way, which could be construed as discrimination and keeps safety at the forefront.

Although this seems capricious and arbitrary, there are probably good reasons for doing it. I've known people who are allergic enough to peanuts that merely touching a doorknob that was previously touched by someone was just eating peanuts (and thus had peanut oils on their fingers) could cause severe reactions.

It would be really bad for the school if one of the students had to be rushed to the hospital because of it, not to mention that the parents might sue the school district.

Even if that weren't a case, the kids who can't eat peanuts might feel left out and and such a young age self-esteem is crucial to building the basis for what comes later in life.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

Usually when approaching service and accommodation under the auspices of the ADA, the concept is to be as all-inclusive as possible, while meeting specific needs. Avoiding discrimination is a key focus.

I think they could avoid this issue by simply having "peanut free" tables, as opposed to "peanut allergy" tables. Anyone can sit at a peanut-free table as long as they don't have peanuts in their lunch. Or they can have the reverse: Peanut tables, so the days you do bring a peanut butter sandwich, there's a spot.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Anyone can sit at a peanut-free table as long as they don't have peanuts in their lunch.

Exactly .Its not like having a table marked.."only kids with peanut allergies can sit here".Anyone can .As long as they do not have peanuts or peanut products for lunch.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I think they could avoid this issue by simply having "peanut free" tables, as opposed to "peanut allergy" tables. Anyone can sit at a peanut-free table as long as they don't have peanuts in their lunch. Or they can have the reverse: Peanut tables, so the days you do bring a peanut butter sandwich, there's a spot.

Or, they could educate all parents on the most common childhood food allergies, encouraging children not to share items that contain nuts and act, if and only, there are chidren identified with rather severe allergies. Plans for accommodating these youth should really be made in cooperation with parents, the school nurse and the school to avoid violating student confidentiality and making the child feel outted in any way.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Plans for accommodating these youth should really be made in cooperation with parents, the school nurse and the school to avoid violating student confidentiality and making the child feel outted in any way.

I haven't seen any indication they haven't done this.Do you have an example of a school outing any child with peanut allergies at all let alone against the parents wishes?

I was very involved in volunteering in my youngest sons classrooms k-5 especially.The only child in all those years I knew for a fact had severe peanut allergies was because the mother wanted every one to know.She openly talked about it with the other mothers.Not to mention the kid himself talked about it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Allow me to ask for comments on this specific point.

It would seem that there is some degree of concern that kids with strong allergies might suffer if those allergies are openly exposed in the school environment. Is that correct?

How often do you think that might happen?

Do you perceive a conflict with the very obvious duty of the school in protecting the children's health?

Is the concern fueled mainly by worries that other children might want to ridicule them for their health issues?

Just wanting to have a clearer picture.