• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School bans Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I haven't seen you backpedaling so much, but I've seen your ire jump around from sub-topic to sub-topic. Y

Yes I used the wrong term..Even though Draka you tried to rerange the context in what you said about milk..Barely acknowledging you were completely wrong in your main point.

And as Mystic has pointed out ..you said there were NO risk..barely risk ..change it up what about milk ..anything ...making it sound like people concerned with kids who have deathly allergies to nuts and would like to take steps to protect them in schools are radical "nuts"..

Actually my favorite though I have to say and Im disappointed was Shadow..who somehow twisted just having separate tables for kids ALLERGIC to nuts was calling he the "weirdo non nut eater"..

Rarely have I seen such hysterics .But Heahter maybe you are right..about people not wanting to change..evne if it not bringing a PB&J for school lunch.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yes I used the wrong term..Even though Draka you tried to rerange the context in what you said about milk..Barely acknowledging you were completely wrong in your main point.

And as Mystic has pointed out ..you said there were NO risk..barely risk ..change it up what about milk ..anything ...making it sound like people concerned with kids who have deathly allergies to nuts and would like to take steps to protect them in schools are radical "nuts"..

Actually my favorite though I have to say and Im disappointed was Shadow..who somehow twisted just having separate tables for kids ALLERGIC to nuts was calling he the "weirdo non nut eater"..

Rarely have I seen such hysterics .But Heahter maybe you are right..about people not wanting to change..evne if it not bringing a PB&J for school lunch.

Well, you know. I'm not always right. LOL :D

But I do know childhood nostalgia can trump many changes when it comes to what we do with kids, with religion, and with technology. A very good friend of mine is a pediatrician who tells me over an argument concerning bike helmets that I should come and visit how many head injuries she has to see on a monthly basis at the local ER, all preventable if the kid wore his or her bike helmet. She gets a lot of flack for supporting measures like helmets and telling parents to think twice about getting a trampoline for the backyard. But she insists that the risks are far too great for injury given what she says she sees.

Parents will tell her she's nuts, and their argument is that the risk is minimal if kids pay attention enough or if parents are mindful of "actually doing their ****ing job." I don't go so far, but I do bring up my own childhood memories, and bring up when my kids were younger years and years ago how they played. And then other parents point out how they jumped on trampolines and rode their bikes down all the streets of the neighborhood without a helmet, and they turned out "just fine."

She often tells me, "as if they assume I never did that stuff back then either." :cool:

Draka

Wonder Woman
I didn't rearrange the context in which I said anything. I said we needed calcium, that you didn't understand or follow my flow of argument was not my fault. I doubt anybody else didn't understand what I meant. As for being wrong about the vast majority of people not being lactose intolerant, I guess Falvun is proving you wrong on that anyway, regardless of what I may or may not have known about Asians (which I admitted to by the way - not exactly the same thing as being "completely wrong" in any way now is it?)

I said there was no risk, in regards to an actual severe allergic reaction, from a peanut butter sandwich. I have several times pointed out the irritation thing on skin and how it could be simply dealt with. I figured common sense would be enough for people to realize what I was talking about but I guess that's lacking here. As to the milk, the article quoted in the OP is what mentions it in the first place, which is the only reason why I commented on it at all. You are the one who has gone all gung-ho milk hatred in this thread. I really couldn't care about the topic truth be told and if you want to continue with it feel free to make another thread as it just derails this one.

And you make out, with your last line there, as if I am not a person concerned at all with kids with allergies (I'm sorry, I'll just throw out my kid's meds now - I must not care about her allergies anyway), when the only thing I have been doing is trying to be reasonable and present actualities. Trying to get people to see overreactions where there are some. That there can be easier ways to compromise and handle things (hand washing, letting a kid eat their own lunch (for them and only them as I have said numerous times), and keeping the adults in charge of the students apprised of the situation concerning an allergic child, as well as other things). For many working in our school systems this isn't their first rodeo and chances are they've dealt with these things before.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
. I support a ban if an establishment decides it's best for their facilities. I also support an establishment that chooses NOT to ban, but takes other measures.

Me too..the one school I read about had 3 students CONFIRMED with peanut allergies one of them had life threatening allergies.The measures were wiping down the desks kids in there classes having to wash their hands..And the parents *******..I mean you would have thought it was Obama trying to take their guns away!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Parents will tell her she's nuts, and their argument is that the risk is minimal if kids pay attention enough or if parents are mindful of "actually doing their ****ing job." I don't go so far, but I do bring up my own childhood memories, and bring up when my kids were younger years and years ago how they played. And then other parents point out how they jumped on trampolines and rode their bikes down all the streets of the neighborhood without a helmet, and they turned out "just fine."

Ya know! You can smoke for 50 years every day ..starting at 11..and not get lung cancer.Yeppers Ya can!

You can also drive drunk and NEVA get in a wreck..What's with the hysterics?

When I was little (nastalgia) there were no CAR seats ...I think there were set belts in the back but when were little those we used as whips..or we just stuffed them in the seat because the metal buckles dug in our butts..

No lie..Mama had the 4 of us..in a giant full sized tank of a station wagon..I remember her main concern was on a long trip...she would tell us if we went all the way in the back with pillows and blankets we could "not fall asleep" because we my die of the fumes.:p

Otherwise we hopped around that car like a jungle gym..I mean from 2 year old child up to 11...

We used to sing ...100 bottles of beer on the wall 100 hundred bottles of beer..take one down pass it around 99 bottles of beer on the wall...!!!And Mama chain smoked (with the window cracked) OH and she carried a loaded gun in the car....:D

But hey ..Im O.K...

Last edited:

The Wizard

Seriously? Seriously. Well, then they decided to say "Okay, your kids can have peanut butter in their lunches, but they have to sit at a special table." :rolleyes:

More of the article at source:
How Far Should Schools Go to Protect Children With Food Allergies? - Allergy Center - Everyday Health

Now, in the rest of the article it is also pointed out that the second most common food allergy is milk. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the usual drink issued out at school cafeterias milk? So what is next? No more milk? No one can have cheese? No yogurt? If a packed lunch is for your kid it is for your kid, not for any other kid. You are not packing it for the entire school. :areyoucra
It sounds backwards. Why don't they just put the severely allergic kids at a "special table"? As I can recall, that's how it went. What they going to do? Expel everyone and every food every time a new allergy arises until there's like 3 food allergic kids sitting there and one who has a pet cat (cat hair) sitting on the other side the cafeteria? What a cartoon land!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Ya know! You can smoke for 50 years every day ..starting at 11..and not get lung cancer.Yeppers Ya can!

You can also drive drunk and NEVA get in a wreck..What's with the hysterics?

When I was little (nastalgia) there were no CAR seats ...I think there were set belts in the back but when were little those we used as whips..or we just stuffed them in the seat because the metal buckles dug in our butts..

No lie..Mama had the 4 of us..in a giant full sized tank of a station wagon..I remember her main concern was on a long trip...she would tell us if we went all the way in the back with pillows and blankets we could "not fall asleep" because we my die of the fumes.:p

Otherwise we hopped around that car like a jungle gym..I mean from 2 year old child up to 11...

We used to sing ...100 bottles of beer on the wall 100 hundred bottles of beer..take one down pass it around 99 bottles of beer on the wall...!!!And Mama chain smoked (with the window cracked) OH and she carried a loaded gun in the car....:D

But hey ..Im O.K...

LOL sounds like a bit like my childhood. Piled up in the back of the van. No car seats. Dad installed a table with sharp corners in it (square shaped) so we could dismantle it and sleep on top of the "table" with cushions on it. We had shag carpeting in the van, too. No seat belts.

None. Not even for the front two seats that mom and dad would sit in on our car trips.

Yeah. I hear ya, Dallas. ;)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
.... For many working in our school systems this isn't their first rodeo and chances are they've dealt with these things before.

From what I could tell in this thread, there have been a few educators who have chimed in to this thread, and have addressed how they supported stricter measures in regards to the kids involved. I don't know of one educator in this thread who have said they believe a ban is completely unnecessary, ridiculous, stupid, pointless, etc. But a number of them have said they side on the child with the peanut allergy and understand a peanut butter ban.

So, yes, educators have dealt with things like this "rodeo" before.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
LOL sounds like a bit like my childhood. Piled up in the back of the van. No car seats. Dad installed a table with sharp corners in it (square shaped) so we could dismantle it and sleep on top of the "table" with cushions on it. We had shag carpeting in the van, too. No seat belts.

None. Not even for the front two seats that mom and dad would sit in on our car trips.

Yeah. I hear ya, Dallas. ;)

See your dad made ya'll a bed in the van..:D

We had sleeping bags and pillows..Mama just woke us up every 20 minutes or so to make sure we hadn't succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
From what I could tell in this thread, there have been a few educators who have chimed in to this thread, and have addressed how they supported stricter measures in regards to the kids involved. I don't know of one educator in this thread who have said they believe a ban is completely unnecessary, ridiculous, stupid, pointless, etc. But a number of them have said they side on the child with the peanut allergy and understand a peanut butter ban.

So, yes, educators have dealt with things like this "rodeo" before.

It seems to me educators are weighing on the side of precaution..their battle seems to be irrational combative parents "resistant" to the idea their child might have to wash their hands.

I talked to T my oldest.He said he "remembers" having non nut tables.He does not seem traumatized..but maybe we will find out later he is a serial killer because he was ejected from the "non nut eater table" and called a "weirdo nut eater..and we had no idea how this would effect him..(helping children with nut allergies)...

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
t sounds backwards. Why don't they just put the severely allergic kids at a "special table"? As I can recall, that's how it went.

That's getting COMPLAINED about..Have you read this thread?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
. However, if I would have had to sit at a separate table during lunch because I was one of those weirdo nut eaters it would have only made my own life that much harder, while those very few normal non-nut-eaters would have had even more to use against me.

it just wont end.Unless hes playing it up .I dont know.This is over the top.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Dallas, you are incorrect. This will be the last time I will say it, since you are apparently unwilling to listen to it.

If anyone else remains unconvinced, I encourage you to investigate medical resources to get your information.

There are different levels of intolerance. Lactose intolerance does not necessarily mean you are unable to tolerate any lactose whatsoever. Some lactose intolerant people can handle lactose, as long as it is in small doses. Some people merely can't handle milk, but are still fine with yogurt, cheese, and butter. Some can't handle milk or yogurt, but can ingest cheese and butter (which have much less lactose in them), and so on.

I'm not sure why you are so indignant over the fact that dairy is a healthy choice of food for many people, and that it does provide an easy source of necessary nutrients.

I'm not eating right? How would you know? Do you have access to my tracker diary? I don't think so. Sorry I don't pile down sardines and kale and broccoli and the like like mad, they just aren't my cup of tea. I do eat veggies and fish, just not those particular ones that happen to be higher in calcium and even then, they aren't as high as dairy products. So I choose to go the dairy route.

You have a tracker on dairy?But you think 5 year old's should not not be protected from deathly allergies? That makes sense.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
See your dad made ya'll a bed in the van..:D

Yo. Mom and dad were hippies. I'm just now hearing some stories of what they were doing when kids weren't being shuttled around in that van. :D

We had sleeping bags and pillows..Mama just woke us up every 20 minutes or so to make sure we hadn't succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning!

LOL yeah I saw that. Good times. Maybe you should have been all placed at a "non-CO" area in the car since a carbon monoxide ban is just too radical and weird. It infringes on the rights of people who like breathing higher doses of carbon monoxide. :p

Draka

Wonder Woman
You have a tracker on dairy?But you think 5 year old's should not not be protected from deathly allergies? That makes sense.

My diet tracker diary keeps track of everything I eat and all the nutritional components to my diet. It also tracks my activity as well. My exercise. I started it when I wanted to lose the weight I gained during pregnancies and since then have found it to remain to be a great tool to keep apprised of my nutritional intake and my exercise. I also track activity levels with Polar as well with an HRM. It's basically just called being health and fitness conscious.

And would you stop lying and trying to make me out to say things I don't say? Never once have I said anything about not protecting 5 y/o's from deathly allergies. :sarcastic Here, why don't I just provide you a bunch of letters, you form whatever words you want, twist them whatever way you think fits your argument best, claim I said them, and brand me the evil one. Seems par for your course so far. jlkjdrlkaevneirsdflrhfujhviueryrsjdlkhvaeurjsnvuhrkjhsdjfhssdjvk

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
their battle seems to be irrational combative parents "resistant" to the idea their child might have to wash their hands.

Parents are resistant to the idea of not allowing their child to eat a peanut butter sandwich, at all, in school. Your hyperbole doesn't really help your argument, Dallas.

And I think it is also fair to note that the battle is also against irrational parents who are overly protective, or unrealistic about the risks, to their child with a peanut allergy. Seeing as there has been very few deaths associated with peanut allergies, despite the fact that they are quite common, it stands to reason that the vast majority of kids with peanut allergies do not have the "death by close proximity" sort that will kill them. But I'm willing to bet that some parents, upon hearing "Your child is allergic to peanuts", will jump to the "Let's quarantine everything!" mode.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There has been much discussion about "dust particles" which may cause a more serious allergic reaction in these kids. I understand that peanut BUTTER doesn't run a risk of having particles in the air, as even the crunchy variety is contained in butter. Putting aside the argument that kids can rub hands, tables, etc., and then rub their own mouth, nose, eyes (a high likelihood for youngsters)...

How can a school ban peanuts and allow peanut butter? It's a fine line, isn't it? They're taking the safer route and just banning anything peanut related.

Personally, I am not opposed to having a separate table for children with peanut allergies; I don't think it is damaging to them in any way. My kids' schools have separate tables and no one seems to suffer. One of my daughters has a slight allergy; it only showed up on an allergy test. She just doesn't eat peanut butter at school. The other kids eat peanut butter sandwiches as they walk in the door after school, so they get their "fix". They can eat it at school, but they choose not to.

As for the calcium argument, the reason people these days are getting more and more osteoporosis is multi-faceted. For one, we don't get enough Vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential in increasing calcium absorption. People in other countries spend a lot of time outdoors, doing manual labor. Our culture is far more sedentary and we spend a disproportional amount of time indoors, especially those of us who live in areas with cold winters. That's why we have issues with SAD and people buy those special lamps. Do you think those are available in Africa? Sure, they have their own set of problems, but Vitamin D isn't one of them...

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Parents are resistant to the idea of not allowing their child to eat a peanut butter sandwich, at all, in school. Your hyperbole doesn't really help your argument, Dallas.

And I think it is also fair to note that the battle is also against irrational parents who are overly protective, or unrealistic about the risks, to their child with a peanut allergy. Seeing as there has been very few deaths associated with peanut allergies, despite the fact that they are quite common, it stands to reason that the vast majority of kids with peanut allergies do not have the "death by close proximity" sort that will kill them. But I'm willing to bet that some parents, upon hearing "Your child is allergic to peanuts", will jump to the "Let's quarantine everything!" mode.

I've noticed that parents who "go to the extreme" get things to a middle ground a lot more effectively than those who are lighter on the subject.