• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and God

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, not a Trump card. I do not play cards with Donald Trump.

My view of the history of the universe, earth, life, and humanity is based on the objective verifiable evidence. The literary history of the Bible is based on the literary history of the text provenance, and archaeology.

I go with the evidence.
evidence shows we die

and no evidence of anything afterward

still holding to what you can prove?

Darkforbid

Our idiocy is better than their idiocy.
How?
We don't leap to belief in unevidenced things like the
nature, history, meddling, & number of sky fairies.
When something is unknown, tis best to not describe
it in great detail.

Because its based on cosmological models that show the invariance of the universes constants. Whereas the atheists counter-argument seems to be just we say its wrong

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because its based on cosmological models that show the invariance of the universes constants. Whereas the atheists counter-argument seems to be just we say its wrong
Invariance is just an assumption.
While constants are useful, & appear invariant, it's certainly possible
for them to be otherwise in as yet unobserved conditions. Remember
that we once thought that time was invariant....turns out that it isn't.
But regarding many beliefs about the supernatural, I don't say they're
wrong, but rather they're not even wrong, or to quote Wolfgang Pauli,
"nicht einmal falsch"

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It's part of what the OP's video was about. But why doesn't your faith agree with evolution?

the Baha'i Faith does believe in the physical science of evolution as the transformation of the physical forms by evolution of the species, but believes in the spiritual evolution and God's intent as the guidance for life on earth.

The principle of the Harmony of Science and Religion considers Science as the progressive evolving knowledge of science, and scripture must be understood in the light of the evolving nature knowledge of our physical existence.

The Baha'i Faith rejects materialism.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There are 'no cosmological models that show conclusively the variance ot the universes constants.' The best the cosmological models can show is the possibility of variance of the universe constants between possible universes.

Darkforbid

No, not a Trump card. I do not play cards with Donald Trump.

My view of the history of the universe, earth, life, and humanity is based on the objective verifiable evidence. The literary history of the Bible is based on the literary history of the text provenance, and archaeology.

I go with the evidence.

Well obviously you don't go with the facts. If someone self-proclaimed themselves the returned messiah it's usually a massiah complex but maybe not. However in your faith the founder proclaimed himself the promised one of all the religions that had one,, which is a very extreme version of the said complex.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
time does not exist

Simplistic statement without reference nor meaning.Temporal time exists in our universe in a space time continuum. It is true that likely in the Quantum World beyond our universe and all possible universes is timeless in the manner that the time space continuum exists in our universe.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Not known, temperal time exists in our universe in a space time continuum. It is true in the Quantum World beyond our universe and all possible universes is timeless in the manner that the time space continuum exists in our universe.
time is not a substance or force

it's not there

or anywhere

Darkforbid

There are 'no cosmological models that show conclusively the variance ot the universes constants.' The best the cosmological models can show is the possibility of variance of the universe constants between possible universes.

It's invariance and yes they do fractional changes cause different structures or unworkable models

Or do you think all cosmologists still use blackboards

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Well obviously you don't go with the facts. If someone self-proclaimed themselves the returned messiah it's usually a massiah complex but maybe not. However in your faith the founder proclaimed himself the promised one of all the religions that had one,, which is a very extreme version of the said complex.

Based this line of reasoning Abraham, Moses, and Jesus Christ were self-proclaimed messiahs, as you describe 'usually a messiah complex' like atheists believe.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
time does not exist
Sure it does.
In your personal experience, it is approximately (ignoring the vanishingly
small effects of time dilation) equal to V/A and the square root of D/A
V = Velocity
A = Acceleration
D = Distance
your pivot point isn't really there
Pivot?
Do you mean "divot"?
I don't golf....that's for you rich white guys.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It's invariance and yes they do fractional changes cause different structures or unworkable models. There is absolutely no evidence that fractional changes cause unworkable models.

Or do you think all cosmologists still use blackboards

Nothing to do with the false statement above. Einstein of course used blackboards.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
nope
Time is an illusion
A. Einstein
Einstein was wrong about quantum mechanics.
So if he said time is an illusion, we cannot take that on faith.

Besides, I showed you that not only does time exist,
but it can be measured. I've also discovered that
I need more of it.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yep, it's just an illusion caused by the movement of matter

Sounds like the Hindu view of our physical existence. Time is measurable in terms of change in our three dimensional space time continuum. It is not caused by the movement of matter. It can be measured by the movement of matter in fact in relation to gravity, which is questionable as to what gravity is.