• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and God

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don’t know. But I used to be a Christian apologist, and I think I remember that defending my faith was vastly more challenging than what I do now.

I even proposed, recently, to a few fundamentalistic forums out there, if they would like me to help them with apologetics, especially in the area of philosophical arguments for the existence of God. PSR, modal logic and such. They seem to be so obsessed with Jesus loving them, that they totally forget how flaky the rational basis of their belief is.

Ciao

- viole

There is no strong rational basis for reality. You can't do reality only using reason, logic and evidence.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You do realise just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power

Yes. However that seems to go up when you are a real good scientist. What is the % in case of the national academy of science?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Then you can't win, because winning is absence of peace, because winning requires a competition and thus you don't win, because you are at peace.

There is no competition, Since I always win, i think I am not particularly stressed about the possibility of losing.

Ciao

- viole

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes. However that seems to go up when you are a real good scientist. What is the % in case of the national academy of science?

Ciao

- viole

Let us see, if I can lose. ;)

You profile states philosophical naturalism. Either that is a belief without reason, logic and evidence or you can at least use some combination of the 3. And while you are at, please explain the connection if any between science and philosophical naturalism.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
There is no strong rational basis for reality. You can't do reality only using reason, logic and evidence.

Then you have no strong rational basis to type things on a computer and expect that a real human called viole might read it.

Well, on second thought, you might be right. There is really no strong rational basis to challenge me.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Let us see, if I can lose. ;)

You profile states philosophical naturalism. Either that is a belief without reason, logic and evidence or you can at least use some combination of the 3. And while you are at, please explain the connection if any between science and philosophical naturalism.

It is not a belief. I know it is true and that there are no gods.

Funny thing is that I am currently debating a theist, on another forum, who claims that science, especially when it deals with the past, assumes philosophical naturalism.

Ciao

- viole

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There is no competition, Since I always win, i think I am not particularly stressed about the possibility of losing.

Ciao

- viole

So you are really special, For all versions of metaphysics, knowledge, evidence, reason, logic, ethics, politics and what not you always win. That means that 99+% of all humans lose. Okay, dazzle me, oh, oracle of truth. Or you are just doing a massive special pleading.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Then you have no strong rational basis to type things on a computer and expect that a real human called viole might read it.

Well, on second thought, you might be right. There is really no strong rational basis to challenge me.

Ciao

- viole

I said only. Reason, logic and evidence are of limited use, but not total.
One example is not everything. Try again.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
So you are really special, For all versions of metaphysics, knowledge, evidence, reason, logic, ethics, politics and what not you always win. That means that 99+% of all humans lose. Okay, dazzle me, oh, oracle of truth. Or you are just doing a massive special pleading.

Yes, I cannot help it. Sorry :)

Ciao

- viole

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don’t understand what you mean. I am not claiming proof, Or certainty, I am claiming knowledge.

Ciao

- viole

You know it is true.
Truth is not evidence or science. It is philosophy as you use it.
Münchhausen's Trilemma is about truth.
You don't even know your basic philosophy.
Metaphysics is about knowing it is true. Metaphysics is not science nor evidence. Metaphysics is philosophy.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You know it is true.
Truth is not evidence or science. It is philosophy as you use it.
Münchhausen's Trilemma is about truth.
You don't even know your basic philosophy.
Metaphysics is about knowing it is true. Metaphysics is not science nor evidence. Metaphysics is philosophy.

Yes, and claiming that knowledge does not equal certainty not proof is branch of epistemology. So, what?

Ciao

- viole

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, and claiming that knowledge does not equal certainty not proof is branch of epistemology. So, what?

Ciao

- viole

You are a metaphysical naturalist. Live up to that and give a supported argument. You always win, right? Well, now you are up against a global skeptic. I never win nor do I lose. I just run it down to a draw. Neither of us have a positive privileged metaphysical position. You see, I am "weird", because I like - I don't know.
So I admit I don't know and show that you don't know either.