• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex workers?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You're not selling your body as a product in that scenario no matter how many times you want to repeat yourself. You're selling your ability to pick up a shovel and move crap around with it.

I understand your point, I just don't agree that it's just another profession. I think that old line about it being the "oldest profession" is unproven nonsense, too. It's just some saying people keep repeating. I'm pretty sure our prehistoric ancestors weren't prostituting themselves. There was no money. Prostitution seems to be a feature of stratified civilizations and class. I believe it only starts showing up in first in ancient Near Eastern civilizations. The oldest professions are shaman, tribal chief, hunter, warrior, etc.

To me it's exactly the same thing, you are selling your ability to lay down and do a job.

Accounts of prostitution go back to the sexual services provided by priestesses in the temples of Mesopotamia over 4,000 years ago.

In India, prostitution is referenced in the ancient texts written in the 8th century bc.

And there are many more examples.

So it seems to be if not the oldest then as i said, one of the oldest professions.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
To me it's exactly the same thing, you are selling your ability to lay down and do a job.
I get that you think that, but I don't think that's an accurate way of looking at it at all.
Accounts of prostitution go back to the sexual services provided by priestesses in the temples of Mesopotamia over 4,000 years ago.

In India, prostitution is referenced in the ancient texts written in the 8th century bc.

And there are many more examples.

So it seems to be if not the oldest then as i said, one of the oldest professions.
That just goes with what I said. It's something that came about as a result of complex civilizations with social stratification. Same as slavery, actually.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Fine, your opinion. I find it prudish.

There are men (and women) who, perhaps having lost a spouse and being perhaps not terribly attractive anymore, and who while not wishing to marry again may still crave sexual intimacy from time to time. And there are attractive women (and men) who, for whatever reason, require money for things that are important to them -- and who are perfectly willing to provide that intimacy in exchange for what they desire. l see no moral issue in that at all.

And, while you may have forgotten, capitalism or not, these exchanges have been common throughout human history, in every sort of society and economic system.

We aren't the only species to do it either. @ChristineM

ChristineM

Premium Member
I get that you think that, but I don't think that's an accurate way of looking at it at all.

That just goes with what I said. It's something that came about as a result of complex civilizations with social stratification. Same as slavery, actually.

Seems accurate enough to me, but if we were all the same RF would boring eh?

And the same as doctors actually.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Continuing to use these false equivalencies isn't going to change anything. You're not renting your body itself for use by other people in those examples, but getting paid for your labor skills. Sex workers literally make their own bodies into a product to be sold. None of the jobs I've done have entailed selling my actual body to someone for their own enjoyment.

Back when I worked, I sold the use of my brain and hands to write computer programs. By your definition I was making my brain and hands into products to be sold. Looking at it that way, you are not saying that it's wrong to sell the use of a (part of) someone's body, it's just one particular part of the body where selling it is wrong.

Look, I get where you are coming from. When I was young, a long time ago, that was the general attitude. Sex was somehow at the same time dangerous and also sacred and should be strictly controlled. Most people paid lip service at least to it and some truly believed it (to get a room together at a hotel a man and woman had to pretend to be married), and many people tended to ignore it in practice. You feel that way, you have every right to do so. I'm afraid though that times have changed and what you are reading on this thread is more the common attitude than it used to be.

My own attitude is related to freedom, and my ownership of my own body. If I do no harm to others, I feel I should be allowed to do what I want. And I extend that same right to sex workers, though I neither am one nor deal with them.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Look, I get where you are coming from. When I was young, a long time ago, that was the general attitude. Sex was somehow at the same time dangerous and also sacred and should be strictly controlled. Most people paid lip service at least to it and some truly believed it (to get a room together at a hotel a man and woman had to pretend to be married), and many people tended to ignore it in practice. You feel that way, you have every right to do so. I'm afraid though that times have changed and what you are reading on this thread is more the common attitude than it used to be.
Younger people, especially Gen Z men, tend to be more conservative. What you're saying here is the last vestiges of the 1960s free for all mentality. RF does not represent the majority of a society. I'm quite sure the majority of your own generation doesn't agree with you, either. Times change in the other direction, too, especially when going so far in a certain direction has produced a morally bankrupt society. But prostitution still isn't legal in most areas, anyway. I don't know why people in this thread are acting like it is. Unless you're in Vegas or Amsterdam, it's an illegal activity. So I guess I'm not too far from the thinkkng of most people like you are trying to portray to discourage me. Sorry but you're not the future. I still am (well, as long as I don't give in and kill myself).

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Younger people, especially Gen Z men, tend to be more conservative. What you're saying here is the last vestiges of the 1960s free for all mentality. RF does not represent the majority of a society. I'm quite sure the majority of your own generation doesn't agree with you, either. Times change in the other direction, too, especially when going so far in a certain direction has produced a morally bankrupt society. But prostitution still isn't legal in most areas, anyway. I don't know why people in this thread are acting like it is. Unless you're in Vegas or Amsterdam, it's an illegal activity. So I guess I'm not too far from the thinkkng of most people like you are trying to portray to discourage me. Sorry but you're not the future. I still am (well, as long as I don't give in and kill myself).
I don't see anyone trying to convince you of anything. Most recent posts are attempts to understand the discussion. @Alien826 is in my age group
and is expressing observations that I am familiar with......Thinking that your generation is unique is not realistic. IMO
I could write that your generation is unique just as every generation is unique....

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Not quite, it's mostly the communist countries where prostitution is illegal, in most other countries it is legal , limited legality or legal in certain places
Countries Where Prostitution Is Legal 2024
In America, it's illegal in the vast majority of places. There's no federal law against it, but most states and municipalities ban it. It's certainly illegal where I live. Probably sure it's very illegal in Texas where Rider lives and she admitting to getting a hooker.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Thinking that your generation is unique is not realistic. IMO
Sure, but I didn't say that.
I don't see anyone trying to convince you of anything.
Because being told that your views are outdated and the world has moved on is just a totally neutral comment to make. (I do think a person old enough to be my grandfather telling me this is hilariously ironic, but I digress.) I don't care if you see it or not.

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Sure, but I didn't say that.

Because being told that your views are outdated and the world has moved on is just a totally neutral comment to make. (I do think a person old enough to be my grandfather telling me this is hilariously ironic, but I digress.) I don't care if you see it or not.
Your insult is not appreciated...You don't care is an adolescent remark....Is the bigotry of the 1940s outdated? Everything is new...again.

servant1

People been saying that for a very long time and for a very long time to come mind you.

In reality it doesn't mean a single thing to me or any other non-Christian or ex Christian out there.
Only one living in darkness, just like those in Noah's day( Luke 17:26) will find out the hard way. All can see how quickly this system is falling apart.

Sgt. Pepper

RF's resident Beatlemaniac. ☮︎&
How sad for them to believe that way. There are only 2 kinds of people in Gods view=the righteous, lead by Jesus and the wicked lead by satan.
Only one living in darkness, just like those in Noah's day( Luke 17:26) will find out the hard way. All can see how quickly this system is falling apart.

You state your Christian beliefs as if they were true rather than merely as your personal religious convictions.

I wonder if you are familiar with Rule 8 of this forum.

ChristineM

Premium Member
How sad for them to believe that way. There are only 2 kinds of people in Gods view=the righteous, lead by Jesus and the wicked lead by satan.

Satan is your bogyman, not mine. I've visited the gate of hell at Solfatara, knocked, there was no one home.

Anyway, In your view I'm wicked, thanks friend. I'll remember that.
It seems that jesus followers amount to about 1/3 of the population, true jesus followers much less than that.
What's it like being in a minority?