• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexist Tropes In Video Games

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
No, I'm observing that when you see large groups of women screaming, weeping and fainting with overwhelming sexual desire, it's always over pop stars and never over body builders / fighters.

Face it. Justin Bieber is sexier than Sylvester Stallone. It's the terrible truth.

The sex appeal comes from connecting with your audience. That's when it isn't just enduring for ages and ages, but hard-hitting, knee-buckling, hot and overwhelming.

Example: I run into women who are still madly in love with David Cassidy.

[youtube]A8aHsDGnF_8[/youtube]
David Cassidy I Think I Love You NOV 2008 Epcot - YouTube

Alceste

Vagabond
What does this have to do with Johnny Depp?
He is famous because he is an actor. Not because he is a pop star nor because he is a body builder/fighter.

Considering the latter is 66 now...
And that many of those women screaming, weeping and fainting are actually teenagers...

I'm saying part of Johnny Depp's unquestionable sexiness is that he plays the guitar. He is already ridiculously sexy, but that makes him more sexy, because women are crazy horny for musicians.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I'm saying part of Johnny Depp's unquestionable sexiness is that he plays the guitar. He is already ridiculously sexy, but that makes him more sexy, because women are crazy horny for musicians.

And i am saying that playing guitar is the most irrelevant part of what you mentioned, for him. :shrug:

Alceste

Vagabond
The sex appeal comes from connecting with your audience. That's when it isn't just enduring for ages and ages, but hard-hitting, knee-buckling, hot and overwhelming.

Example: I run into women who are still madly in love with David Cassidy.

[youtube]A8aHsDGnF_8[/youtube]
David Cassidy I Think I Love You NOV 2008 Epcot - YouTube

Wow, sad as that is, you can tell that guy is literally going to be drowning in poontang at the end of the show.

The terrible tragedy of my life is that guys don't loosen their pants like that for female musicians.

Alceste

Vagabond
And i am saying that playing guitar is the most irrelevant part of what you mentioned, for him. :shrug:

And I'm saying you don't know what you're talking about. Ask any guy in the world who plays a musical instrument well or sings in a band what that does for his chances as far as the ladies are concerned.

Edit: except for the accordion.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
And I'm saying you don't know what you're talking about. Ask any guy in the world who plays a musical instrument well or sings in a band what that does for his chances as far as the ladies are concerned.

Edit: except for the accordion.

What the...

Have i ever said that a musician doesn't get attention from the ladies?

Alceste

Vagabond
What the...

Have i ever said that a musician doesn't get attention from the ladies?

Well then, it stands to reason that whatever female attention Johnny Depp gets from being retardedly sexy movie star, he gets even more for being a retardedly sexy movie star who is also a deadly guitar player.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Well then, it stands to reason that whatever female attention Johnny Depp gets from being retardedly sexy movie star, he gets even more for being a retardedly sexy movie star who is also a deadly guitar player.

Barely, if any. He is already so famous as a movie star that playing guitar becomes redundant.

Alceste

Vagabond
Barely, if any. He is already so famous as a movie star that playing guitar becomes redundant.

No, imagine you've got Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Leo di Caprio and George Clooney over for dinner. After supper, they all want to play Mario Party on your Wii, but not Johnny Depp. He pulls out a guitar and is amazing at it. Which one are you going to sleep with, assuming you can't have all four at once?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
No, imagine you've got Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Leo di Caprio and George Clooney over for dinner. After supper, they all want to play Mario Party on your Wii, but not Johnny Depp. He pulls out a guitar and is amazing at it. Which one are you going to sleep with, assuming you can't have all four at once?

Definitely Toad.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Can i choose....none?

Why wouldn't Johnny Depp want to play Marior Party? :cover:
I wonder how often this scene happens...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I was watching this video the other day on the sexist trope of the Damsel in Distress in video games.

[youtube]X6p5AZp7r_Q[/youtube]
Damsel in Distress: Part 1 - Tropes vs Women in Video Games - YouTube

What do you guys think about it.

I agree that the damsel in distress trope is sexist and may be damaging to the way women are viewed. It depicts women as fragile creatures, completely useless and in need of a male to save them.

However i do disagree that it is such a big deal in video games. Being a male gamer i have no real attraction to games that incorporate this trope. Honestly, the games story line is secondary to the gameplay and in some cases the story line can get in the way of the action (see Max Payne III for an example of this). There are also a number of popular game with strong female protagonists Tomb Raider, Fable, World of Warcraft.

So is this trope harmful to women? (i feel the need to include the sexual objectification of even the most empowered female characters. Skimpy clothes, suggestive poses etc)

Or are they just holding up a mirror to the society that they come from?

Or, considering that the majority of gamers are males is just the most effective to appeal to this audience.

Ok...so it's narrated by a women wearing oversized slave bracelets...in her ears!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What does this have to do with Johnny Depp?
He is famous because he is an actor. Not because he is a pop star nor because he is a body builder/fighter.

Considering the latter is 66 now...
And that many of those women screaming, weeping and fainting are actually teenagers...

Beiber is a product manufactured by the industry and marketed toward preteens.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

That would depend on who collected the most stars/coins, obviously.