• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should a woman's bodily autonomy be disregarded when it comes to pregnancy?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I think he might have been referring to your hostile response to my comment from before.
No he was not, again you have to be careful when you pick up in the middle of something. We have already discussed what the issue was and he agreed he probably misunderstood what I had said. I rarely get into anyone else's debate unless the post comes in it's own context alone apart from any previous posting because it has embarrassed me so many times.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
No he was not, again you have to be careful when you pick up in the middle of something. We have already discussed what the issue was and he agreed he probably misunderstood what I had said. I rarely get into anyone else's debate unless the post comes in it's own context alone apart from any previous posting because it has embarrassed me so many times.
Yeah, I saw that earlier. Sorry about that. Now I am confused as to why he was put off by your "hostility." Didn't seem like a "hostile" comment to me.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Alright, I'm confused. So you weren't referring to me at all in that post?
You aren't going to let this go are you? I have already answered this. I am going to go back and copy my posts to prove it. I indirectly referred to you in one case but not in the case where you accused me of distorting your view. Here is my post:

I did not say you did. I said you thought the idea we had to be born again was invented because of some advantage I could not even comprehend:
You see I have already answered what your asking for the third time here. I referred to you indirectly for one point and not at all for the other. I can even go back and copy what you said and show that what I indirectly referred to you about was said by you and what I did not refer to you about was not.

I do go on to make a statement about claims of Christian message convenience but I did not reference you for that.
Here is my explanation (I already gave you) of the thing you did not say and I did not indirectly refer to you. It was just something that I thought of that I see many times.

[/quote] In fact I never referenced anyone by name [/quote] This was to point out I never mentioned you in particular but only indirectly for one of the points I made.

So I not only answered every question you have asked plus some you didn't. I am not going to continue this line of discussion. I don't have the time today and this is getting plain weird.

So no one misrepresented you.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
"The problem is that Jesus only makes claims for himself as being divine in the Gospel of John. ... But what scholars have long noted is that Jesus doesn't say any of those things in Matthew, Mark and Luke, and that Matthew, Mark and Luke are [written] much earlier than John. ... What I argue in the book is that it's virtually inconceivable that if it was known Jesus called himself God that Matthew, Mark and Luke would just leave that part out," says Ehrman.
I mention that we need to move on to step number two instead of shot gunning it with anything that pops into your mind, so you don't even mention step number two and blast a random shot at me, AGAIN.

We cannot even begin to establish anything unless we first resolve the accuracy of the texts. Who cares what they say in which book if we can't have any idea what was originally said?

I told you this was going to be long, and detailed, I even said I would become more emphatic and insistent.
So I am going to make few comments about step number twenty or so and then I am not doing anything until we resolve step two after this point.

Everyone has known about the idea that Christology increased as the Gospels were written. This is a theory Islam loves, but it was far more tenable before we found out that two of the books we thought were written in a certain Chronology were actually written in reverse order. Also there are many good theories as to why this should have occurred if it actually was true. John outlived the other apostles. His claims were the most offensive to Jews and Romans. Many scholars think that John (after the other apostles had past out of danger by dying) decided to open the throttle and give humanity the full scope of what Christ was and what his death meant. He was already in trouble and no one was left to pay the price so he let it all hang out. This is further affirmed by understanding each apostle write to a different audience and had unique intent. My personal opinion is that no advance in Christology occurred in the synoptic, they all had fairly consistent levels of Christological claims but less than John. Keep in mind God sent Christ in the fullness of time, his events are timed to his own purposes and do not always make sense to us. Whether it was John's idea or God's John raised the bar up quite a bit (not that the principles were not in the other Gospels but John amplified them to their full level). I don't believe anything ramped in the synoptic's but do agree John did do so. It makes perfect sense. John was always treated uniquely being referred to the apostle Christ loved, etc.,,, and John was the last. That being said you will find countless claims to full glory and divine status (some of them can't not have been any greater claims) in the rest of the NT but John did provide more of them and expound on them more. So I see no problem with what we have. BTW look up Ray Brown or NT Wright on the absolutely extraordinary claims made by Christ and about Christ made in the synoptic gospels. Many are not even recognized because the language use required a very high level of knowledge of the OT languages and their use which most who claim these types of things do not have. They do not come any bigger than what is in the synoptic gospels John just gives us more and explains them in more detail. BTW the same claims can be found in Paul's writings and they were earlier than any others. His source material goes back to a few years of even months of the crucifixion and show these claims existed in doctrinal form even before the Gospels wee written. Even creedal form.

Ok that is it for these off ramps. We moving on to step two (the originals - about 350AD) or nothing else in this line of discussion.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Who ever argued that Christianity in general was created out of convenience? Can you provide a link? That sounds like a straw-man, imho.
No, you didn't say it so it is irrelevant. I am not coming through years of debates to post something this trivial. If you search my posts you will find at least a dozen instances. being I have over 10,000 I am not doing it. Or if you want you can type in "Christianity was invented for convenience" to Google and get over 94 million hits.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Yeah, I saw that earlier. Sorry about that. Now I am confused as to why he was put off by your "hostility." Didn't seem like a "hostile" comment to me.
Ok, appreciate the honesty, lets let this subject have a dignified death and end it here. I am telling you that getting at the heart of whether or what parts of the bible can be relied upon is going to take a lot of our time. I suggest we limit the number of side issues we discuss as I am limited on time and am working plus debating about half a dozen people at the same time.

He is fine with my comments at this point, it was just a misunderstanding.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Ok, appreciate the honesty, lets let this subject have a dignified death and end it here. I am telling you that getting at the heart of whether or what parts of the bible can be relied upon is going to take a lot of our time. I suggest we limit the number of side issues we discuss as I am limited on time and am working plus debating about half a dozen people at the same time.

He is fine with my comments at this point, it was just a misunderstanding.
Goto it and agreed. Sorry if I came off as hostile myself. I just love discussing this stuff with people that disagree with me (or when I get to play the Devils advocate ... like with you most of the time). It forces me to constantly rethink the assumptions I make all the time.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Goto it and agreed. Sorry if I came off as hostile myself. I just love discussing this stuff with people that disagree with me (or when I get to play the Devils advocate ... like with you most of the time). It forces me to constantly rethink the assumptions I make all the time.
I see the disagreeing but I don't see so much the re-thinking, but that is a healthy attitude.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Are you talking to me? I did not mention the evolution of Quantum systems. I mention Wal-mart.

What? Why have you retreated to theoretical physics and barricaded your self in there? My argument was very simplistic and needs to appeal to black holes to counter if it could be countered.

Oh, no. I think you have done your patented misunderstanding my statements and will based a whole post on it. I like debating you and so when you do this it is almost painful to me to have you waste so much of your own time. The primary part of my argument is not whether determinism explains or does not explain my desire to go to Wal-mart. It is that blind events do not care about allowing me to gratify my desires. Determinism would probably never result in a desire that it then gratifies but it most certainly would not do so billions of times every day. Do you understand my argument?

Ok

Ok

Ok, I read far enough to see you have misunderstood. It is not my claim that because I had a choice in whether I went to Wal-Mart or not determinism is not true. It is that blind events do not have intent, even if they produced enough coherence to be called a desire they would not actualize the desire because blind forces don't care, they do not want, they do not intend. It does not result in questions and then supply answers because it cares not for answers, it does not produce problems and then solve them in universal ways because it has no interest in solutions, it does not propose projects and then perform the millions of actions necessary to complete the project because it does not have any interest in completing anything. Billions of intents are conceived and gratified everyday, that is not what determinism would produce. That is plenty to undermine determinism. Think of it like this, instead of numbers on a roulette wheel it has instructions in each slot. One says do jumping jacks, one says sit down, etc........ Now it may be possible to explain which slot the ball fell into using blind forces, energy fields, structural properties, etc.... but it would not explain why I can then obey whatever instruction is selected. Actually intent was involved in almost every step but lets pretend no intent was required for the ball to be determined which slot to wind up in, the problem is my ability to follow what ever instruction determinism selected is not explained by determinism but by intent, determinism contains no intent. The set of conditions that led to the ball falling in a slot are not the same and are not linked (in an intentional context) with the set of conditions that result in my behavior. They have no intent to obey anything except physics and physics has no intent to obey the instruction in the slot with the ball.

Let's keep simple then, shall we? But before we proceed I would like to make sure that I understood your rebuttal correctly.

You seem to believe that whatever humans can experience: desires, volition/actin to satisfy them, pain, volition to avoid it, love, hate, gelousy, ambition, ... are not ultimately reducible to the electrochemical processes operating on a set of cells. And this is because these material/physical things cannot have desires, ambition, volition, etc.

Is that so?

Ciao

- viole

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Let's keep simple then, shall we? But before we proceed I would like to make sure that I understood your rebuttal correctly.

You seem to believe that whatever humans can experience: desires, volition/actin to satisfy them, pain, volition to avoid it, love, hate, gelousy, ambition, ... are not ultimately reducible to the electrochemical processes operating on a set of cells. And this is because these material/physical things cannot have desires, ambition, volition, etc.

Is that so?

Ciao

- viole
I do think some capacities are greater than the sum of their natural parts but that was not my main point. My primary claim is that the chances that random/random physical, chemical, electrical forces, etc..... (i.e. determinism) will produce a coherent thought or desire are very low, the chances they will then also then actualize that desire next are next to nothing, and the chances they would do so billions of times a day are preposterous. I do believe in the point you mentioned but that was a very secondary issue.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I do think some capacities are greater than the sum of their natural parts but that was not my main point. My primary claim is that the chances that random/random physical, chemical, electrical forces, etc..... (i.e. determinism) will produce a coherent thought or desire are very low, the chances they will then also then actualize that desire next are next to nothing, and the chances they would do so billions of times a day are preposterous. I do believe in the point you mentioned but that was a very secondary issue.

Yes, but now you are confusing topics. I belleve. I am not talking of the processes that led to a well functioning brain (evolution or whatnot). I am addressing the brain itself, and I hope we agree a brain is not a random bunch of atoms, in general, since we need to generate a not negligible amount of entropy (ergo eating) in order to keep it like that.

So, let me ask differently. Suppose I (not randomly) make a perfect copy of a human ( or engineer one from scratch), putting all its cells at their place, together with all the rest. What makes you think that all desires, will, volition, etc. of this being, if any, will not be reducible to the state, dynamic and organization of these elementary physical things, independently from their origin? Do you think it will be a robot without free will? If yes, why?

These are the question you need address in order to annihilate my point that all we do (desires, love, hate, free will, etc) might be determined by purely physically unconscious processes.

To simply affirm that dualism or not-reductionism is true, is not annihilating anything, I am afraid. It is, at best, debatable.

Ciao

- viole

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I see the disagreeing but I don't see so much the re-thinking, but that is a healthy attitude.
What do you mean by you not seeing the re-thinking? Arguing logically against the things I have faith in enables me to strengthen that faith. Faith left unchecked can limit knowledge and understanding.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Yes, but now you are confusing topics. I belleve. I am not talking of the processes that led to a well functioning brain (evolution or whatnot). I am addressing the brain itself, and I hope we agree a brain is not a random bunch of atoms, in general, since we need to generate a not negligible amount of entropy (ergo eating) in order to keep it like that.
First and most important, my original point that shows determinism is not true concerns generating of desires (this is not the problematic part), but then billions of cases where those desires are actualized in short order (That is the problem). That is the real issue, and about the only one not being discussed. So when I reply to the rest of what you said it is not because it was the original issue, it is simply because the original issue does not seem to be grasped and this is all I am left with. Yes we are confusing topics, and we are not even discussing the original evidence against determinism.

Brains are not arranged in random ways they are arranged in brain type structures but as the processes that built them did not attempt to build a brain the product was random. Random very rarely means pure randomness. Usually it means disconnected with intent of any goal. Nature was mindlessly banging away and a brain came out the other end (also keep in mind I only clarifying your world view not agreeing with it). I was going to say the brain arose by chance but once here has intent but determinism makes even that hard to agree to.

So, let me ask differently. Suppose I (not randomly) make a perfect copy of a human ( or engineer one from scratch), putting all its cells at their place, together with all the rest. What makes you think that all desires, will, volition, etc. of this being, if any, will not be reducible to the state, dynamic and organization of these elementary physical things, independently from their origin? Do you think it will be a robot without free will? If yes, why?
As an engineering question I simply find this non-intuitive but I have granted this for the sake of the discussion. I am not questioning whether determinism can produce a desire, I am questioning whether intimal conditions would then cause that desire to be actualized. It is not enough to say initial conditions produced a brain and then brain conditions produce desire and can actualize the desire. That is merely to describe naturalistic freewill.

It appears that your defending naturalism not determinism.
I don't think a brain even if produced by nature alone lacks freewill. That would be a compatibilist position within naturalism, and not pure determinism. I was careful to ask before this started because pure determinism was such a dumb theory I did not think you would have adopted it. You need our brains to be robotic to defend pure determinism, not me. Our brains even by electrical engineering criteria are not deterministic as best we can tell. There is an entire branch of engineering in graduate studies about non-deterministic circuits.

These are the question you need address in order to annihilate my point that all we do (desires, love, hate, free will, etc) might be determined by purely physically unconscious processes.
No, all I need to show is an example of something determinism is a terrible explanation of. There are literally billion that occur everyday.

To simply affirm that dualism or not-reductionism is true, is not annihilating anything, I am afraid. It is, at best, debatable.
I don't know why but for most of our debate history you could track what I was saying pretty easily until one day her recently and now you seem to rarely be able to even get what I meant. I have not started or stopped taking drugs and my arguments are not new so I don't get it. Dualism was some tiny off shoot of our discussion and had nothing to do with my reasons for claiming determinism was wrong. I have explained the simplistic and very small example of why determinism is wrong exhaustively but I can't even get you to comment on it. Let's pretend like we had not discussed anything in between and go back to the start and try again. I will give my argument again.

Lets say we have two primary events.
A. One is a mental event in which I have the desire to go to the convenience store.
B. Is the physical event of my pulling my car into the store's parking lot 10 minutes later.

These are merely two interaction or events of which there have been trillions (which necessitate intent). The question is whether determinism alone can account for both or whether determinism plus freewill is a vastly better explanation. Tell you what, before we go any further let me ask if you understand the problem so far? Dualism or tri-unity of being is a by product of this not part of my simplistic argument. Please don't argue with it yet let me just make sure we are on the same page first.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
What do you mean by you not seeing the re-thinking? Arguing logically against the things I have faith in enables me to strengthen that faith. Faith left unchecked can limit knowledge and understanding.
I meant I see the arguing part, I have not seen you change you mind on the slightest detail yet, you simply argue with every detail of every core doctrinal claim I make. But it does not matter. We are left at the next step. The reliability of the original derived from approx. the mid 300's manuscripts. You ready?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I meant I see the arguing part, I have not seen you change you mind on the slightest detail yet, you simply argue with every detail of every core doctrinal claim I make. But it does not matter. We are left at the next step. The reliability of the original derived from approx. the mid 300's manuscripts. You ready?
Sure. But first understand that I don't always argue for what I believe. Often I find faults with the arguments or assumptions of others who share my beliefs, and I find it enlightening for myself to explore their logic. I do that by arguing. No hard feelings ever. I think it the duty of every Christian to continue the evolution of Church teachings. They have and should continue tor improve, as that is the nature of life itself.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Sure. But first understand that I don't always argue for what I believe. Often I find faults with the arguments or assumptions of others who share my beliefs, and I find it enlightening for myself to explore their logic. I do that by arguing. No hard feelings ever. I think it the duty of every Christian to continue the evolution of Church teachings. They have and should continue tor improve, as that is the nature of life itself.
Of course there are no hard feelings, and you can argue any position you like but if you only argue the same side of every position anyone is going to conclude that your world view is producing the consistency. Christianity it's self has exhaustively scrutinized it's self and everything about it's self since it existed. We always come to the same conclusion it seems, the apostles got it right. It is like Chesterton says he thought he has discovered a new country, invented a new heresy, and resolved Christianity into a science only to discover others had done the same 2000 years ago and it was called Orthodoxy. Or like the NASA scientists said, when the last scientists finally scales the last peak of knowledge and reaches the summit of how things came to be he will find a group of theologians who have been sitting there the whole time. Challenge anything you want, countless people have, and the bible almost always comes out the winner.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Of course there are no hard feelings, and you can argue any position you like but if you only argue the same side of every position anyone is going to conclude that your world view is producing the consistency. Christianity it's self has exhaustively scrutinized it's self and everything about it's self since it existed. We always come to the same conclusion it seems, the apostles got it right. It is like Chesterton says he thought he has discovered a new country, invented a new heresy, and resolved Christianity into a science only to discover others had done the same 2000 years ago and it was called Orthodoxy. Or like the NASA scientists said, when the last scientists finally scales the last peak of knowledge and reaches the summit of how things came to be he will find a group of theologians who have been sitting there the whole time. Challenge anything you want, countless people have, and the bible almost always comes out the winner.
By Church teachings, I did not mean the Bible. I mean interpretations of what is written in the Bible. We are tasked to "read between the lines" to get the real message. Some examples are:

1. interracial marriage
2. interreligious marriage
3. divorce
4. whether Christians should follow Jewish tradition
5. whether Slavery is OK'd in the Bible
6. ignore "eye for an eye"
7. preachers/ministers allowed to marry
8. Christianity for jews or gentiles
9. Is the eucharist actually the body and blood, or is it merely symbolic

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
First and most important, my original point that shows determinism is not true concerns generating of desires (this is not the problematic part), but then billions of cases where those desires are actualized in short order (That is the problem). That is the real issue, and about the only one not being discussed. So when I reply to the rest of what you said it is not because it was the original issue, it is simply because the original issue does not seem to be grasped and this is all I am left with. Yes we are confusing topics, and we are not even discussing the original evidence against determinism.

Brains are not arranged in random ways they are arranged in brain type structures but as the processes that built them did not attempt to build a brain the product was random. Random very rarely means pure randomness. Usually it means disconnected with intent of any goal. Nature was mindlessly banging away and a brain came out the other end (also keep in mind I only clarifying your world view not agreeing with it). I was going to say the brain arose by chance but once here has intent but determinism makes even that hard to agree to.

As an engineering question I simply find this non-intuitive but I have granted this for the sake of the discussion. I am not questioning whether determinism can produce a desire, I am questioning whether intimal conditions would then cause that desire to be actualized. It is not enough to say initial conditions produced a brain and then brain conditions produce desire and can actualize the desire. That is merely to describe naturalistic freewill.

It appears that your defending naturalism not determinism.
I don't think a brain even if produced by nature alone lacks freewill. That would be a compatibilist position within naturalism, and not pure determinism. I was careful to ask before this started because pure determinism was such a dumb theory I did not think you would have adopted it. You need our brains to be robotic to defend pure determinism, not me. Our brains even by electrical engineering criteria are not deterministic as best we can tell. There is an entire branch of engineering in graduate studies about non-deterministic circuits.

No, all I need to show is an example of something determinism is a terrible explanation of. There are literally billion that occur everyday.

I don't know why but for most of our debate history you could track what I was saying pretty easily until one day her recently and now you seem to rarely be able to even get what I meant. I have not started or stopped taking drugs and my arguments are not new so I don't get it. Dualism was some tiny off shoot of our discussion and had nothing to do with my reasons for claiming determinism was wrong. I have explained the simplistic and very small example of why determinism is wrong exhaustively but I can't even get you to comment on it. Let's pretend like we had not discussed anything in between and go back to the start and try again. I will give my argument again.

Lets say we have two primary events.
A. One is a mental event in which I have the desire to go to the convenience store.
B. Is the physical event of my pulling my car into the store's parking lot 10 minutes later.

These are merely two interaction or events of which there have been trillions (which necessitate intent). The question is whether determinism alone can account for both or whether determinism plus freewill is a vastly better explanation. Tell you what, before we go any further let me ask if you understand the problem so far? Dualism or tri-unity of being is a by product of this not part of my simplistic argument. Please don't argue with it yet let me just make sure we are on the same page first.

My posiition is very simple:

If two brains are in the exact same physical state and subject to the exact same physical input, then they will have exactly the same desires and pursue them in the same exact way with the same exact success. This is what I mean with determinism and its relevance towards "free will". I set the initial conditions and check whether there are more solutions from it. If there are not, then determinism is not defeated. I am still waiting for annihiltion of this simple gedanken experiment.

Whether the initial conditions derive from a random past (whatever that is), is not relevant. We are not aware of any annihilating arguments that prevent random bouncing atoms (sic) from creating things like the eye of a hawk or the Ebola virus, either, for evolution by natural selection does not seem to be annihilated by feet stomping theists, currently :). Therefore, singling out desires and intentions from other characteristics of phenotypes (including the machine they have in their head) is wishful computing, question begging and not logically warranted.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
And, just to be clear, you always argue from one side, so there is no reason why you would have seen me argue from that side. That wouldn't be much of an argument.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Soooo....

Pregnancy? Bodily autonomy?

C'mon. Y'all are trying to argue over the validity of the bible as being relevant to the topic?

That leaves non-Christians out of the debate. Since this is not in the same faith debates section, can we move way from this tangent and get back on topic please? Or at least start a new thread?