• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Christian churches be allowed in Muslim lands?

Should Christian churches be allowed in Muslim lands?

• No -- and they shouldn't allow any masajid, either.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Smoke

Done here.
Stolen from Scott's thread in the Abrahamic DIR here.
Qatar, Jun. 6, 2008 (CWNews.com) - An influential Muslim leader has declared that no more Christian churches should be built in Muslim countries.

Sheik Yusuf al-Qaradawi, an important Islamic scholar in Qatar, has issued a fatwa against the construction of Christian houses of worship. His religious decree follows the consecration of the first Catholic church in Qatar in March of this year. While al-Qaradawi said that Arab Christians have a right to practice their own religion, he said that the construction of Christian churches in Muslim lands is an offense against Islam. Sheik al-Qaradawi, long a leading figure in Islamic circles in the Middle East, gained broader international notoriety in 2004 when he released a fatwa saying that all Muslims have an obligation to boycott American and Israeli products. He has also defended the morality of suicide bombing. In February of this year al-Qaradawi was denied a visa by the United Kingdom.

Catholic World News : No Christian churches in Muslim lands, says Islamic scholar

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Absolutely. However, I have to say that given the oppurtunity to reform Islamic theocracy, this would not be my top priority.

Sahar

Nice lies and fabrications!! :rolleyes:

Prominent scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi approves building churches for Christian citizens of or residents in Muslim countries to meet their needs just as Muslims are being allowed to build mosques in the West. "There is nothing wrong in building churches for Christian citizens if there is such a need because their numbers have multiplied or because they lack a place to worship as long as it is authorized by the ruler," Qaradawi said.
"This also applies to non-Muslims who came to a Muslim country for work or residence and have grown in numbers and need a church to worship."

The fatwa came in response to a question regarding the building of the first-ever church in the Gulf emirate of Qatar.
The land was given by Emir of Qatar Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani.

"It is completely permissible that they should be allowed to have churches."

Sheikh Qaradawi, the IUMS president,
also approved for Muslims to participate in building churches.
"If we allow them (Christians) to build churches in Muslim countries, then participation in the construction is also approved though many scholars would not like Muslims to do that."

"Just like they allow Muslims in their countries to build mosques for prayers."

Extracted from:
Building Churches Allowed: Qaradawi - IslamOnline.net - News

Sahar

Interestingly enough, the link to Catholic World News now says "This story has been removed from public access."
He he he :p oh my God!!

I know the opinions of Yusuf al Qaradawi especially on this issue, if he says that greeting Christians at their religious feasts is permissible (whereas many scholars say it's forbidden) and people of the book are equal citizens with Muslims in the Muslim country...how come saying that churches shouldn't be built and this is a very basic right that Islam ensured!!! :shrug:
Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi is very open minded and a mujtahid scolar. He represents the moderate school of nowadays Islamic fiqh.

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain
Depends on if they are going to IMPOSE their beliefs on others, if so...then NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :)

:bb:

Nessa

gnostic

The Lost One
I actually don't care, because I am not a Christian.

However, if Islam is actually religiously tolerant, then these countries should allow Christians to built their churches. Otherwise, their societies and religion are not tolerant religiously, and their tolerance are hollow.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Interestingly enough, the link to Catholic World News now says "This story has been removed from public access."
After I saw the conflicting news stories here I did a google search and got both. But the only sites that said he forbade it were the Catholic site and a Jewish site. To the extent that the mainstream media covered it, they said he allowed it.

It's a lesson in being careful what you believe from internet sites. I am as guilty of this as anyone. It's still surprising tho that the stories could be THAT far off. Praise Science that we have RF to set us straight. :D

Smoke

Done here.
I'm going to lay my bet on the Catholic News Media screwing this one up.
Judging from what not4me posted, it looks like Catholic News Media screwed up pretty bad -- in which case, I think it's reasonable to expect a retraction. I keep watching the site to see if they own up.

However, there are Muslim jurists who disagree with what we now know to be al Qaradawi's more moderate opinion, so the topic is still worth talking about, I think.

nawab

Well Bro,

Since your not a muslim or a christian, i Think you should keep your nose where it belongs. This topic is about Islam and churches not athiests.

I actually don't care, because I am not a Christian.

However, if Islam is actually religiously tolerant, then these countries should allow Christians to built their churches. Otherwise, their societies and religion are not tolerant religiously, and their tolerance are hollow.

nawab

churches are approved in all muslim countries, you will be suprissed to know that in the middle east are more church goers then in UK, My school was near St Marys Church when i passed it everyday is saw on the door WELCOME FREE SOUP AVAILABLE. but the church was always empty i never saw anyone going in or out except the Father and the nuns

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
This topic is about Islam and churches not athiests.
I think atheists might still have an opinion on whether contrasting views on religion are allowed in a country. In fact, they might have particular reason to be interested in that topic.

nawab

suppose if a Catholic and a Protestant is discussing about should Idols be approved or not and out of no where a Muslim comes and say no you shouldnt it doesnt make sense. So I beleive in order for you to demand something you have to deserve. You should only give opinion if the subject affects you.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
suppose if a Catholic and a Protestant is discussing about should Idols be approved or not and out of no where a Muslim comes and say no you shouldnt it doesnt make sense. So I beleive in order for you to demand something you have to deserve. You should only give opinion if the subject affects you.
The subject of religious freedom affects everyone

ETA: and even if it didn't, it's not your place to dictate who can participate in which discussions. You want Muslim only or whatever, start your own damn thread.