• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Feminists be encouraging women to be strippers?

dust1n

Zindīq
First source is a disgrace. Second not too bad.

Small sample size... hardly random... no access to the study in question. Multiple references to the same study. Confusion of what "median" is by the people writing the article.... and then it was attempted to compare to America what is the case in Britain.

ignition

Small sample size... hardly random... no access to the study in question. Multiple references to the same study. Confusion of what "median" is by the people writing the article.... and then it was attempted to compare to America what is the case in Britain.
Fair point, fair point.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Of course, unsurprisingly, the question goes unaddressed.

Bad art is bad art. But a decent stripper expresses her sexuality through dance. And regardless of how rare decent strippers are, some do exist.

The word I've found most often associated with watching a good stripper dance her sexuality is "liberating". And both men and women of my acquaintance have used that word to describe having watched good strippers.

If you see stripping as intrinsically degrading, then perhaps you've never seen a good stripper. Either that, or you've brought so much psychological baggage to watching strippers that you haven't been able to see beyond your own baggage.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

Pole Dancing (as in gymnastic/competitive pole dancing - the one that actually requires profound muscle and body skill)?

Any takers?

What is the consensus, beloved members?

M.V.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
If stripping is empowering why isn't there more male strippers? IIRC I read there's 9 female strippers to 1 or less male stripper. Stigma? Women less likely to want this kind of "entertainment"? Another reason?

I'm pro-equality so I don't see how a woman taking her clothes off in a sexual manner is going to get that. But I'm also pro-choice, so if that's what they want to do. :shrug: It's just not something I'd ever do.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Bad art is bad art. But a decent stripper expresses her sexuality through dance. And regardless of how rare decent strippers are, some do exist.

The word I've found most often associated with watching a good stripper dance her sexuality is "liberating". And both men and women of my acquaintance have used that word to describe having watched good strippers.

If you see stripping as intrinsically degrading, then perhaps you've never seen a good stripper. Either that, or you've brought so much psychological baggage to watching strippers that you haven't been able to see beyond your own baggage.
I think we need to go see one of the local burlesque troops shows soon.;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3416839 said:
Namaste,

Pole Dancing (as in gymnastic/competitive pole dancing - the one that actually requires profound muscle and body skill)?

Any takers?

What is the consensus, beloved members?

M.V.

No need to shout. Having said that, pole dancing can be an art. It seems to me, however, that its format is somewhat limiting, although many beautiful things can be done with it.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
No need to shout. Having said that, pole dancing can be an art. It seems to me, however, that its format is somewhat limiting, although many beautiful things can be done with it.

Namaste,

I didn't mean to come off as shouting. Sorry for the size 4 font.

Limiting? As in they don't go nude and choose to remain with some clothes on? That's "limiting"?

M.V.

ps - check out post #160....is that "limiting"?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3416858 said:
Namaste,

I didn't mean to come off as shouting. Sorry for the size 4 font.

Limiting? As in they don't go nude and choose to remain with some clothes? That's "limiting"?

M.V.

ps - check out post #160....is that "limiting"?

No, limiting as in the restriction to use a pole is somewhat limiting.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3416863 said:
Namaste,

Respectfully asking, who says?

M.V.

I'm just saying there's only so much you can do with a pole. Some of what you can do, of course, is quite beautiful. But I don't see pole dancing building up centuries of variations. Maybe that's just me, though. I could lack imagination.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
The observer.;)

Namaste,

Haha. Thank the Gods that I am the "other" observer; to me I see only poetry in the US and European Pole Competitions (which looks very skillful and not exploitive like the dancing in strip clubs).

I'm just saying there's only so much you can do with a pole. Some of what you can do, of course, is quite beautiful. But I don't see pole dancing building up centuries of variations. Maybe that's just me, though. I could lack imagination.

Namaste,

It's not that you lack imagination, it's your preference, I believe. We all have different preferences. With that said, your comment stands valid.

What about twerking, though?

M.V.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3416813 said:
Namaste,

What about women that study and practice Pole Dancing? The following puts strippers to shame, in my opinion. What this female does is pure body poetry which requires months and even years of training as well as developing the fluidity of muscle strength:

[youtube]VrUsrKq4AZI[/youtube]
2012 US Pole Dance Champion - Michelle Stanek - YouTube

Nothing short of magnificence.

Yet, i don't see it as particularly putting strippers to shame. It's just different. I'd agree that there's probably more professionalism in a sense here, given that there appears to be a very high level of training and athleticism. But i also think Sunstone's point brought up earlier in that regard is important to consider.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The first time I saw some strippers, I was 18 or 19 years old, and their performances were so bad that I became prejudiced against strippers and didn't go back for twenty years. What made their performances that bad? In hindsight, it's clear to me that they were not expressing their own sexuality through dance, but were rather pandering to the crowd. A mistake most lousy strippers make.

When a friend of mine heard the story of my bad experience with strippers, he decided to educate me a bit. He took me out to both some lousy strip clubs and some decent ones, in order to point out the differences. And since he was an artist, he showed me how to view stripping as an art. It made a world of difference in how I came to regard stripping.

In my opinion, only about 15% to 20% of strippers know what they're doing. The rest are hacks.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Agreed.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3416874 said:
It's not that you lack imagination, it's your preference, I believe.

Please don't misunderstand me. I love good pole dancing. I just don't know where you can go with it beyond what's already been done.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
The first time I saw some strippers, I was 18 or 19 years old, and their performances were so bad that I became prejudiced against strippers and didn't go back for twenty years. What made their performances that bad? In hindsight, it's clear to me that they were not expressing their own sexuality through dance, but were rather pandering to the crowd. A mistake most lousy strippers make.

When a friend of mine heard the story of my bad experience with strippers, he decided to educate me a bit. He took me out to both some lousy strip clubs and some decent ones, in order to point out the differences. And since he was an artist, he showed me how to view stripping as an art. It made a world of difference in how I came to regard stripping.

In my opinion, only about 15% to 20% of strippers know what they're doing. The rest are hacks.

Nothing short of magnificence.

Yet, i don't see it as particularly putting strippers to shame. It's just different. I'd agree that there's probably more professionalism in a sense here, given that there appears to be a very high level of training and athleticism. But i also think Sunstone's point brought up earlier in that regard is important to consider.

Namaste,

Agreed, and agreed!

Please don't misunderstand me. I love good pole dancing. I just don't know where you can go with it beyond what's already been done.

I didn't misunderstand you completely; I think your comment was valid.

M.V.