• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should God Not Send Everyone to Hell?

Sabour

I don't think I can agree. Far as I can tell, that is an odd choice of words, involving neither actual freedom nor even a will as such.

Maybe I mixed up some English words :D

You and I can make choices, sure. But they are by no means free. Quite the opposite really; they (nearly?) always cost us other choices and some expense of time and attention.

I think I didn't understand. Sure you can't take two contradicting choices ? And all actions require time and attention. This is life?

I am not sure I am getting the whole picture.

They are also limited by our knowledge, perspective, experience, expectations and conditioning. Calling that "free" is in my opinion actually misleading.

Well you have all the time in hand to seek for those. I will say it another time. Isn't this the purpose of life?

Maybe so. But if so, I don't think that involves free will in any way, nor is that really helped by a belief in Hell.

Not all people operate on the same standards. There are parts of the world when people are still as if they are living in the forest.

Levite

Higher and Higher
The most major complaint with religions that believe in hell is that they give the adherents a get-out-of-jail-free card that permits them to escape God's judgement. The minute you accept the religion you get your meal ticket to eternal paradise although the other are not as lucky. Those that see through the fallacies of this process realize that this is far from fair and just. What is even more humorous is that many such religions claim to promote equality and justice yet have the most lopsided view of morality. As it is already known that religions lead to the lack of moral stability when applied in ethics so expecting morality in the god that promotes the lack thereof by offering absolutes is of no surprise.

A murderer, rapist or a thief can escape god's wrath by merely converting. Even if it is the religion of Islam where Muslims may be punished(temporarily) for transgressions they still receive the paradise of hedonism.

Would it not be fair for a true god of justice to punish ALL individuals stepping into the domain of Life After Death? Should not all individuals receive the torments of hell for their allotted time?

Well, Judaism has varying conceptions of the afterlife, not all of which incorporate Gehinnom (our version of Hell, though properly speaking it's a Purgatory rather than a Hell).

But even for those of us who believe in Gehinnom, anyone who dies without having completed teshuvah (the formal process of repentance, which includes acknowledgement of having transgressed, a confession to God of transgression and commitment to try and refrain from ever so transgressing again, an apology to anyone who has been harmed by one's transgression, acceptance of any consequences that may have arisen from one's transgression, making full reparations if possible to anyone harmed by one's transgression, and participation in Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement) spends time in Gehinnom, purging themselves of their sins, before being able to move on to the World To Come (our version of Paradise, more or less).

Whether one is Jewish or not Jewish or converts to Judaism, the same thing applies to all-- presuming one believes in Gehinnom. And for those of us who believe in afterlife concepts that do not include Gehinnom, whatever the afterlife apparatus of repentance and rebalancing one may believe it, all views seem to indicate that the same thing applies to all, regardless of religion or whether a non-Jew converts to Judaism.

In our view, sins are actions that require more than just words or beliefs to absolve: they require work to heal what has been harmed, concrete actions to repair what has been damaged. And we hold that God holds everyone equally responsible for their actions.