• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should ID be taught in public schools?

Jeremy Mason

Well, so does the Egyptian Book of the Dead, but that doesn't mean it should be taught in school. Why would a public school want to teach religion?

Religion, and I'm not talking about Christianity alone, is a study in sociology, which gives the student understanding of different cultures.

Ben Masada

Should all scientific theories be excluded? Such as gravity, electro-magnetism, helio-centrism, relativity? Or is only this one to be excluded?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any controversial subject which serves only to confuse a young mind. Those disciplines you have mentioned above are not of a controversial nature.

Ben:clap

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, so does the Egyptian Book of the Dead, but that doesn't mean it should be taught in school. Why would a public school want to teach religion?
"All knowledge is worth having."

I think the basics of world religions should be a part of the mandatory curriculum. Why shouldn't it?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any controversial subject which serves only to confuse a young mind. Those disciplines you have mentioned above are not of a controversial nature.

Ben:clap
Neither is evolution--within Biology, that is. The only manufactured "controversy" is by Young Earth Creationists who believe that it conflicts with their religion. Should adherents of a particular religious belief have the right to tell the scientists how to teach science?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
"All knowledge is worth having."

I think the basics of world religions should be a part of the mandatory curriculum. Why shouldn't it?
Well, it's arguable, but in any case it isn't now, and the existence of ID wouldn't change that. Personally, I'm in favor, because for many people the realization that there are different religions depending on where you live is a first insight that leads to questioning their own. However, it seems like the schools have their hands full trying to teach reading, arithmetic, and so forth, so I don't think they can handle another list of required subjects right now.

UnTheist

I think it would be great to teach ID in Science clasrooms. No that it's true, but that students can learn what ID is and what it claims, and what flaws it creates so they better know how to approach an ID believer.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I believe that you're mistaken. Are you suggesting that we teach theology in public school?
Obviously, I can't speak for Jeremy, but I am suggesting exactly that. I also believe that we should teach the basics of philosophy, like logic.

Sententia

Obviously, I can't speak for Jeremy, but I am suggesting exactly that. I also believe that we should teach the basics of philosophy, like logic.

In texas they study the bible... Its been pretty horrendous in terms of indoctrination. I guess its getting better thanks to people in FFRF etc...

Sententia

I went to Texas public schools, and we didn't study the Bible.

Good 4 U. Now of course they do. Research the hows and whys since as a former student it is probably more meaningful to you then to me a poor street urchin raised in the slums of the north east.

;)

gnomon

I believe a more important point has been missed or I just don't feel like reading through page after page of one-liners and repetitive commentary.

What does ID have that contributes to the various field of physics, chemistry or biology beyond "God did it". I'm not interested in hearing about how ID doesn't mean God did it because that's an intellectual mistake on those who deign to give it an ounce of credibility. The point of this is that ID serves no educational purpose......period.

Philosophy courses can discuss philosophy. Science can discuss science. The modern ID movement as promoted by Dembski, The Discovery Institute and other regressive minds serves no good.

UnTheist said:
I think it would be great to teach ID in Science clasrooms. No that it's true, but that students can learn what ID is and what it claims, and what flaws it creates so they better know how to approach an ID believer.

That could be one possibility.

Yes, but they lack the core issues that theology addresses.

What core issues are those?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I like the idea of a high school course in comparative religions, but:
1. It has nothing to do with ID.
2. I think the people who would oppose it the most would be the same fundamentalists who promote ID.
3. It might be a bit controversial and hard to do with neutrality. If not neutral, it would be a bad and unconstitutional idea. If neutral, many Christians would oppose it.

crystalonyx

A high school school course in comparitive religions is a very bad idea, because almost certainly in the U.S. one religion which will remain unnamed will be taught as fact, while the others will be discounted as myths. Just check boodstores to see how books on the subjects handle it.