• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should ID be taught in public schools?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
As an elective, and not with an agenda to convert, but the philosophies that each religion espouses.

Do you know how long it would take to teach these myths? Kids have more important things to learn than than this. Let the church teach it or let them lean it in college....

blackout

Violet.
How many of us never go on to do ANYTHING that EVER requires higher math,
for example,
and it is forgotten as soon as it's over,
because we never really had the aptitude/interest for the subject to begin with?

How many wasted hours of a person's life experience?

Why then is algebra and beyond FORCED on us?
When we might be studying something else instead
that we know will be pertinent to our future studies/profession?

I will never understand this.

Why some subjects are lifted up on high,
and others (arts, philosophy, comparitive religion... whatever)
are deemed "extras" if you're lucky.

We are not all cut out to do the same things,
and we can't all know and study everything.

Why not give highschoolers the freedom to begin specializing?

I don't get it.

(I am NOT talking about ID btw. Just in general.)

Last edited:

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
In texas they study the bible...
The state Legislature passed a law in 2007 allowing Bible courses to be offered as an elective, so it's not compulsory.

What I find ironic is that this was pushed by a certain small segment who appear to be wanting to subtly gain converts. Problem is, by doing it this way in school, there won't be any theological gymnastics to explain away horrible stories (if taken literally) like what happened to the Amalekites or to the Egyptian first born. I think they may inadvertently turn more kids off to the idea than would otherwise have been the case.

A

angellous_evangellous

Algebra can do wonders for teaching abstract thinking, which is useful even if you aren't substituting for X. Not to say you couldn't get it some other way...

"Let no one enter who does not know geometry"

gnomon

A high school school course in comparitive religions is a very bad idea, because almost certainly in the U.S. one religion which will remain unnamed will be taught as fact, while the others will be discounted as myths. Just check boodstores to see how books on the subjects handle it.

I believe that comparative religion can be taught successfully.

My point is that Intelligent Design has nothing to do with comparative religion, philosophy or science.

blackout

Violet.
Algebra can do wonders for teaching abstract thinking, which is useful even if you aren't substituting for X. Not to say you couldn't get it some other way...

No one ever offered me the "some other way" electives.
Oh how happy would I have been.....

I have heard it said as a matter of fact
that music makes you better at math.
So why not devote half those higher math school hours
to music instead, as a prerequisite to algebra and geometry. ;)

What's that? Some of you don't want to take music?
It doesn't interest you? You're not good at it?
You don't see it as being useful in your future?

When your interests and aptitudes sit on the side of the academic cirriculum of the day,
how lucky for you.

But now I guess I am almost completely off topic.

Last edited:

Jeremy Mason

No one ever offered me the "some other way" electives.
Oh how happy would I have been.....

I have heard it said as a matter of fact
that music makes you better at math.
So why not devote half those higher math school hours
to music instead, as a prerequisite to algebra and geometry. ;)

What's that? Some of you don't want to take music?
It doesn't interest you? You're not good at it?
You don't see it as being useful in your future?

When your interests and aptitudes sit on the side of the academic cirriculum of the day,
how lucky for you.

But now I guess I am almost completely off topic.

Amen.

logician

I believe that comparative religion can be taught successfully.

My point is that Intelligent Design has nothing to do with comparative religion, philosophy or science.

ALmost certainly not consistently at the secondary level.

Leave it at the college level.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I had a very well balanced comparative religion/history course in High School.
It was aimed at teaching the history of the 'non-western' world and the influence of religious movements though history.

wa:do

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It was aimed at teaching the history of the 'non-western' world and the influence of religious movements though history.
I wish we had a substantive comparative religion curriculum throughout the US.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Agreed, I'd love to see a program like the class I took. Such classes not only helped me appreciate other cultures, but opened my eyes to the world outside the US borders.

While US/Western history is important (and is for all practical purposes the only history taught in any depth), we live a wider world and our children need to know about it through more than the bleary view of television.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
But atheism isn't a religion or an organised movement or a historical entity. It's just non-belief. :confused:

If you're going to educate young minds about religions, why not include lack-of-religion? Comparative religious studies could make up a childs mind if they're interested enough, might as well include a bit of everything.

crystalonyx

But there are many teachers who cannot teach this subject w/o bias,especially in the bible belt, just because you had a good experience doesn't mean everyone would.