• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should incest be banned?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Why ever not?

most laws are based on some kind of subjective reasoning.

How else could a law be passed?
Because it's the right thing to do. Is it likely, no. But is it right? Yes.
a few posts back you were highlighting some of the psychological problems associated with incest - I agree with those.

Have you changed your mind all of a sudden?
Nope, I just think your argument is poor. I have reservations - as a counselor and as someone who has worked with sexual abuse victims and perpetrators and their families - however I don't think that a blanket ban is, in this case, ideal.
Particularly since it goes against my general beliefs about consent.

If consent can be freely given then it is fine with me. If the situation is murkier I'd have questions about it. But banning it altogether is the wrong way to go IMO.

not nom

Society and people need to be protected from themselves.

If everyone just does whatever they feel like then we will have chaos or oligarchy.

Have you ever tried to tell a bunch of children to organise a game amongst themselves - it doesn't work, because they all end up arguing with each other. Someone needs to take control to make the game happen.

This is the same with society.

BS. actually, the reason why not everybody is having incest all the time is because they don't want to, not because it's illegal. maybe you should speak for yourself. if YOU need those laws, say so. I sure don't.

nnmartin

if the laws weren't there thought it may be possible in some situations to coerce or pressure someone into having an incestuous relationship.

not a good thing.

nnmartin

I mean things like psychological pressure.

ie: have a baby with your sister because it will be good for the family - that kind of thing.

or, sleep with Daddy otherwise your inheritance will be cut.

not to mention that it is just a clear abomination but surprise, surprise that seems to count for little these days!:eek:

blackout

Violet.
Society and people need to be protected from themselves.

If everyone just does whatever they feel like then we will have chaos or oligarchy.

Have you ever tried to tell a bunch of children to organise a game amongst themselves - it doesn't work, because they all end up arguing with each other. Someone needs to take control to make the game happen.

This is the same with society.

Don't you know that is totally not true?

When I was a kid,
there were constantly games going on down at the end of my street.

Kick ball, flashlight tag all kinds of games,
and they were ALL organized, and "refreed" by us kids.
No adults needed.

Oh the treasure hunts were fun! though less frequent.

Brings back memories.

Now days you rarely ever see kids out playing. :(
Don't know why but the grownups
seem to like organizing and running EVERYTHING for the kids now days.
It's a shame.

nnmartin

I think the blame for that lies with things like playstation and internet though.

True, as you say - these kind of street games have died out because new games have been invented ie: antisocial ones.

There is a growing malaise of antisocial behaviour spreading in society due to money, corruption and greed - also the commodity of sex has become almost dominant.

This is happening at the same time as the erosion of traditional religion due to Satan influenced atheism and institutionalised rapacious money grabbing. This kind of behaviour is even taught in schools these days.

so bearing this in mind it is fair to assume that over the coming years sexual deviance will rise - things like incest and bestiality will become more accepted due to a loosening of the law and moral standards.

Now is the time to put the brakes on this latest trend of moral decay and so-called 'freedom'.

blackout

Violet.
I think the blame for that lies with things like playstation and internet though.

True, as you say - these kind of street games have died out because new games have been invented ie: antisocial ones.

There is a growing malaise of antisocial behaviour spreading in society due to money, corruption and greed - also the commodity of sex has become almost dominant.

This is happening at the same time as the erosion of traditional religion due to Satan influenced atheism and institutionalised rapacious money grabbing. This kind of behaviour is even taught in schools these days.

so bearing this in mind it is fair to assume that over the coming years sexual deviance will rise - things like incest and bestiality will become more accepted due to a loosening of the law and moral standards.

Now is the time to put the brakes on this latest trend of moral decay and so-called 'freedom'.

Begins a community soap box collection for nnmartin.

wonders...
*Does Soap still come in Boxes?*
I don't think so.
This must account for the filth of our society.

God knows you can't preach on a Sanitizer Pump.
Just another of Satan's lies.
Purell my ***.

Last edited:

nnmartin

The internet is an obsession with young people though - you must agree there.

When I was a kid we would kick a ball around or play BMX biking - don't see much of that these days. Now it's just all Facebook, Twitter and Reality TV rubbish.

new thread idea............

Tiberius

Why ever not?

most laws are based on some kind of subjective reasoning.

How else could a law be passed?

You seem to misunderstand, wither by accident or deliberately, I don't know.

Drolfille is saying that it is not a valid method of determining what is good to make into law by saying, "Most people like it, therefore it must be good."

Tiberius

if the laws weren't there thought it may be possible in some situations to coerce or pressure someone into having an incestuous relationship.

not a good thing.

Wouldn't that be rape then? Sex that takes place due to coercion? And it would be wrong - not because it is incest, but because it is rape.

You seem to look at specific examples and use those as a basis for a general blanket ban. That is a very poor way of doing things.

Let me make my position very clear:

I have no problem with any sex act, provide that all parties involved are willing to be involved, any party is free to leave at any time, and no one is involved against their will.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The internet is an obsession with young people though - you must agree there.

When I was a kid we would kick a ball around or play BMX biking - don't see much of that these days. Now it's just all Facebook, Twitter and Reality TV rubbish.

new thread idea............
Perhaps you don't see much of it because you're not looking for it.

nnmartin

Tiberius - no, I am talking about subliminal psychological coercion / manipulation.

Like , please sleep with Uncle bob to keep the family happy.

that kind of thing - the manipulation could be an undercurrent within the family that would be very hard to detect by an outsider.

nnmartin

You seem to misunderstand, wither by accident or deliberately, I don't know.

Drolfille is saying that it is not a valid method of determining what is good to make into law by saying, "Most people like it, therefore it must be good."

again , that is not what I am saying.

but laws are passed by judges and panels that are influenced by public opinion and consensus.

also subjective reasoning by the lawmakers will inevitably play some part.
Morality is subjective after all - impossible to avoid and no reason why it should be either.

If you tell your child how to behave 'properly' it is purely subjective.

the same condition applies with many laws.