• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should religion be tolerated?

You would have us leave children in the dark until they are, what, 18? At which the point they wouldn't be adults but simply persons vulnerable to the winds of whatever ideology comes their way- including radical ones such as fundamentalism.
Yes...then they would be free to choose..Catholic priest have had more education in all matters spiritual and holy then the average person ever will ...but it didn't stop their systematic rape and sexual abuse on children...so I really don't see the connection between not ramming a belief down their throat and them growing up to be immoral..criminals..fundamentalist etc.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Yes...then they would be free to choose..Catholic priest have had more education in all matters spiritual and holy then the average person ever will ...but it didn't stop their systematic rape and sexual abuse on children...so I really don't see the connection between not ramming a belief down their throat and them growing up to be immoral..criminals..fundamentalist etc.
This has got to be one of the most nonsensical statements I have ever read...

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Do you even know what "systematic" means?

Do you even know what "systematic" means?

Sorry! Typo...systemic...the system being preisthood and obviously religion.

Stats show that approxiamately 0.239% of the general population are sex offenders-

The catholic church estimates that between 6-12% of priests have engaged in illegal sex with children under the age of 16.
That's one whopping big difference...and it was stated because of this...
Originally Posted by Jordan St. Francis
You would have us leave children in the dark until they are, what, 18? At which the point they wouldn't be adults but simply persons vulnerable to the winds of whatever ideology comes their way- including radical ones such as fundamentalism.

Being a catholic, Jordan St.Francis is asserting that children growing up without any religious education will/could turn them into radicals or fundamentalists...

I say look at all of the religious training the priests have had, and what they have turned into, or more importantly, what horrific damage they have done to innocent children...and with the catholic church estimating such high numbers...the incidents are not isolated...but instead, rife.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's not systemic, either. You are blinded by hate.

EDIT: And I'd like a source on those figures.

Last edited:

challupa

Sorry! Typo...systemic...the system being preisthood and obviously religion.

Stats show that approxiamately 0.239% of the general population are sex offenders-

The catholic church estimates that between 6-12% of priests have engaged in illegal sex with children under the age of 16.
That's one whopping big difference...and it was stated because of this...

Being a catholic, Jordan St.Francis is asserting that children growing up without any religious education will/could turn them into radicals or fundamentalists...

I say look at all of the religious training the priests have had, and what they have turned into, or more importantly, what horrific damage they have done to innocent children...and with the catholic church estimating such high numbers...the incidents are not isolated...but instead, rife.
Wow I knew there were lots of problems but I didn't realize the numbers were so high in comparison to the rest of society.

DarkMaster24

I seriously doubt you can demonstrate the truth of this claim.

Well, I don't mean every person of faith, but generally speaking, most religious people have a proclivity of hating people. Usually, it's not even justified, and they only hate because their holy books inspire them to.
I'm not trying to be hateful or anything, I'm just being real.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Well, I don't mean every person of faith, but generally speaking, most religious people have a proclivity of hating people. Usually, it's not even justified, and they only hate because their holy books inspire them to.

And why is the reason you give to as why some atheists hate? Don't tell that atheists don't hate, they do. I don't know about anyone else, but I have never hated anyone- I have disliked a few people for various reasons- none of which had anything to do with my faith.

DarkMaster24

And why is the reason you give to as why some atheists hate? Don't tell that atheists don't hate, they do. I don't know about anyone else, but I have never hated anyone- I have disliked a few people for various reasons- none of which had anything to do with my faith.

I don't. Everything I base my veiws arround is supported by evidance. If that affends you, I'm sorry, but I'm just being honest. You may be one of the few exceptions of religious people that don't hate, but most do.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't. Everything I base my veiws arround is supported by evidance. If that affends you, I'm sorry, but I'm just being honest. You may be one of the few exceptions of religious people that don't hate, but most do.

You couldn't possibly offend me. Your idea of truth is different from mine. Most of the religious people I have known have been kind. Most of the atheists I have known are also kind. Most of the agnostics I have known are kind. I find that most people have always been kind to me personally, and only once in a while I meet someone who isn't.

DarkMaster24

Glad to know I didn't affend you. Yeah, I'm not saying they're all bad, but in my perspective they have been. I guess it might be because of where I was raised, but even where I am now, I can hardly tolerate religioous people. I'm also glad to know you've had positive experiences with Atheists-we should be like the nicest people in the world.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
You have yet to provide even a shred of evidence to back up your extraordinary claims.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
You have yet to provide even a shred of evidence to back up your extraordinary claims.

Different people have different experiences with particular groups of people. What kind of evidence are you looking for? You can't exactly call someone wrong based on personal experience.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Different people have different experiences with particular groups of people. What kind of evidence are you looking for? You can't exactly call someone wrong based on personal experience.
I can definitely tell someone they are wrong when they make broad sweeping generalizations with absolutely no evidence to back their claims up.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I can definitely tell someone they are wrong when they make broad sweeping generalizations with absolutely no evidence to back their claims up.
"absolutely no evidence"
And you are complaining about "broad sweeping generalizations"?