• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Teens Marry?

RevOxley_501

if the times were different, and teenagers were actually mature... (they are not this day and age) why not?

after sexual organs develop i think that would be a good time designated by nature to marry or copulate or whatever. Of course thats how i believe we were designed...but there is a bit of a huge population problem, so marrying later is good for curbing that just a tad.

teens, right now, are NOT capable of handling serious relationships though...100 years ago...they were

erasmo

As a teen, I say "No"

While I suppose I might be mature enough to uphold a marriage and/or a family, many of my friends are not and many of the other teenagers I encounter on any given day are not nearly mature enough to uphold a decent conversation with the opposite sex.

Most teenagers have neither the financial or intellectual means of upholding a marriage. Also, while I'm sure if it was allowed hundreds of ignorant teens would rush to the first chapel or courthouse they saw to wed it is, or at least for me, something they would soon regret.(Much like the overwhelming number of teen parents that have arose.)

Truth_Faith13

Should teenagers get married? Or is that too young? Why or why not?

As some people have pointed out, I dont think most (not all) teens are mature enough to get married. Though it does kind of contradict the sexual maturity!

There is also the problem of finances - more and more teens are attending college until 18 and so do not have jobs and those that do leave school at 16 and get jobs would still find it difficult to support themselves - I dont think they would know where to start! I think teens get it to easy these days! I know I did! :)

In England teens can get married at 16 with parents consent and 18 without. Personally I think 16 is far too young. I think that the majority of teens dont know the true meaning of a relationship. I am not saying once you get married/older relationships have to be boring etc, but I cant see how a 16year old knows what "true love" as they say is!

It also worth while to experience life before they settle down into marriage! Whats the harm in dating for a few years until they are 18 or even older.

Bishka

Veteran Member
For the most part -- no. The teenager of our day and age are much less mature then they were 100 years ago. Most teenagers of our day do not know how to cook, clean, run a household, etc.

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
For the most part -- no. The teenager of our day and age are much less mature then they were 100 years ago. Most teenagers of our day do not know how to cook, clean, run a household, etc.

True. Most teens can barely take care of themselves, so the thought of marriage should be out of the question. My mother had much more responsibility as a teenager than I ever did. Back then many teens had to help their parents cook, clean and raise siblings. Many teens these days are preoccupied with extra-curricular activities, the internet and Playstation.

I also don't believe that most teens have any idea about what they want in a partner. When I was a teenager all I really cared about were looks. One has to be older, wiser and experience life as an adult before you can really know what qualities you want in a spouse.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I also don't believe that most teens have any idea about what they want in a partner. When I was a teenager all I really cared about were looks. One has to be older, wiser and experience life as an adult before you can really know what qualities you want in a spouse.

Although I did state what I believed, I was married at age 19 (4 months after my 19th birthday). As I look back, I was extremeley immature, but grew up very fast. I wouldn't suggest to others to get married that early, but it has worked out wonderfully for my husband and I.

Truth_Faith13

Although I did state what I believed, I was married at age 19 (4 months after my 19th birthday). As I look back, I was extremeley immature, but grew up very fast. I wouldn't suggest to others to get married that early, but it has worked out wonderfully for my husband and I.

Although I would agree with you that I wouldnt suggest 19s get married! 19 is a lot better than 16! I am unsure what the law is in America, but a 16year old can get married with the parents consent!

The Seeker

Once upon a time....

There are exceptions to the rule of course. I'm glad to hear that your marriage has worked out.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Although I would agree with you that I wouldnt suggest 19s get married! 19 is a lot better than 16! I am unsure what the law is in America, but a 16year old can get married with the parents consent!

No, I believe anyone under 18 who wants to get married has to have the parents consent.

Ðanisty

The question is kind of vague. Are we talking about younger teens like 15, 16, 17 or older teens like 18 or 19? The thing about maturity is that it has very little to do with your age. When I got married, I was 20 and my husband was 18. Things have been fine with us.

Truth_Faith13

No, I believe anyone under 18 who wants to get married has to have the parents consent.

Thats the same as England then - Do you have a minimum age? For England its 16! I would hope they wouldnt go any lower than that, as I think 16 is too young, 18 is still pushing it. :)

Aqualung

Tasty

Why does marriage necessarily equal living apart from the rest of your family? Is love that exclusive that you can only be with one family at any given time?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Thats the same as England then - Do you have a minimum age? For England its 16! I would hope they wouldnt go any lower than that, as I think 16 is too young, 18 is still pushing it. :)

It varies by state here. There's no Federal law designating a minimum age.

hollyintuc

My son wants to marry is girlfriend when she turns 18 and is out of HS. He just turned 18 and is graduating this week. I know that this is about being celibate until marriage. Although I admire what they are doing, I don't think it should be the reason for rushing into marriage. He has lived a pretty sheltered life, although he has held a job during the last 2 years. We were all set to send him to college, and help him through that chapter of his life. He darling girlfriend is also very, very insecure, as she has been hurt by another boy. My mind is reeling, I don't know if there is anyway we can support this decision, but I want to take care not to alienate him from us. Any advice will be much appreciated

Ðanisty

So he's rushing to get married in order to have sex? Have you thought about possibly suggesting to him that he could just have sex before marriage? I understand that for some people, sex before marriage turns out to be a mistake, but it can't be any more of a mistake than going into a marriage before you're ready.