• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Bible be outlawed

slave2six

Substitious
You're dodging the question. People don't read those parts to kids.
Wrong again. We got every bit of the Bible growing up including all the incest, rape, murder, and whatnot in the OT and the condemnation not only for not believing but for believing wrongly. This was not just in my family but in our school and church.

Then again, reading most of the Bible is mild compared to today's television or movies.

slave2six

Substitious
Dude, I'm NOT fond of the Bible. I'm just not fond of spurious accusations of child abuse, either.
I don't know that it is any more abusive toward children than any other indoctrination - even of atheism. But I can tell you that people who take it seriously have to teach their children these things. It would be far worse to allow your child to go to hell than to not tell them about it. We can't be too harsh on true believers who are simply trying to spare their children from eternal damnation.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I don't know that it is any more abusive toward children than any other indoctrination - even of atheism. But I can tell you that people who take it seriously have to teach their children these things. It would be far worse to allow your child to go to hell than to not tell them about it. We can't be too harsh on true believers who are simply trying to spare their children from eternal damnation.

In my opinion, it depends on how they do it.

I am not for ANY form of government interference, as many children, as you clearly demonstrate as apparently you were one, are able to break away from such indoctrination.

Now... I do not quite agree that indoctrination is "abuse" per se, but I do agree that it's counter-productive and doesn't allow the child to grow. Luckily many children are learning how to rebel. (I was lucky not to have been born in a Christian-run house; I would have grown into a fundie myself if I had.)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The bible says this. You read it to your kids they put it together. Assuming their not slow.

I didn't say owning a bible makes one an abuser, it's reading it's inapropriate content to children.
Good point. We should also ban Aesop's Fables, Lambikin, and Rock-a-bye Baby.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
No, the argument does not assume it's inevitably harmful, just potentially. Just as comsuming some alcohal may or may not adversly affect the fetus, so it is with the bible. It may or may not. But what kind of person is willing to take a chance like?
I am, every time im starting to crack open a cold six pack.. but hell.. its a risk worth taking.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I disagree. Those who "take the Bible seriously" can (and do!) do so without emphasizing God's wrath or condemnation of humanity. There are those of us who are sane, who emphasize the overarching message of God's compassion, love, mercy, kindness, grace, and reconciliation.

"Taking the Bible seriously" does not mean assigning the same weight to every statement made therein.

I am a "true believer," and I believe many things, none of which include God sending God's children to suffer eternally in hell.

Right now, I believe I'll have a drink...
:beach:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Suppose for one minute that the Bible has never been seen or heard of by a living being. One day the Bible appears in print and published as the truth by the author. How many people do you think would believe anything in it? It's only because of the belief of past generations who have passed this story on to us that some people believe it to be a true story. The Bible would be disregarded as trash if published today. Very few people would take it seriously because there is no proof to back up anything in it. It's the most disgusting, unbelievable and evil book ever published. It would be put on a shelf where children could not see it. I agree that it will never be outlawed but it should be.
"But I'm not bitter, or anything..."

You're setting up a strawman. The Bible had to have been perceived by human beings, because the Bible was written by human beings. The stories were told by human beings, long before they were written down. In fact, the Bible was not written by "an author," but by the community of faith, out of which the stories came. That makes the Bible different than other books that are produced by "an author" and sprung on us out of the blue. these are stories and experiences that lie deep in the human psyche.

The Bible hasn't lasted because it's "true." It's lasted because it's polyvalent in nature.

Obviously, you're one of "them" who think that the Bible is "trash." That's fine. But you don't have to misrepresent it and present false arguments to get your point across.

eclectic23

eclectic23
i think that most people would agree that religion can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. alot of sin has been committed in the name of god. i dont agree with the banning of the bible, but i would love for someone to rewrite an edited version. the bible contains the word of god, and the translations of its followers. its the translations that most people have a problem with. and why not. in my opinion, and i know im not alone, the corruption of the church twisted the word of god to suit its own purposes. when christianity was being established it was more about power, control and money. scare tactics to keep people obedient and loyal to collection plate of their day. now we certianlly cant blame the christians of today for the sins of the past, but wouldnt it be a great thing if someone with clarity and inteligence could attemt to weed out the manipulations of a time long past and possibly leave room for modern ideas. after all, i never remember jesus declaring he was a homophobic intollerant who needed to wipe out any civilization that did not follow him. that was his predisessors.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Is reading Grimm's Fairy Tales abuse, too? Those stories scared my kids, particularly in Cinderella when those crows peck out the stepsisters' eyes. Or when they cut up their feet to fit the shoe. ;)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
i think that most people would agree that religion can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. alot of sin has been committed in the name of god. i dont agree with the banning of the bible, but i would love for someone to rewrite an edited version. the bible contains the word of god
It does? :confused:

, and the translations of its followers. its the translations that most people have a problem with. and why not. in my opinion, and i know im not alone, the corruption of the church twisted the word of god to suit its own purposes. when christianity was being established it was more about power, control and money. scare tactics to keep people obedient and loyal to collection plate of their day.
The process that got us the official Bible so to speak is as fascinating as the text.. I dont see why we need to find some imaginary divine purity in the text which does not exist, the texts have been written with ideology and politics to be taken into consideration to begin with!
now we certianlly cant blame the christians of today for the sins of the past, but wouldnt it be a great thing if someone with clarity and inteligence could attemt to weed out the manipulations of a time long past and possibly leave room for modern ideas. after all, i never remember jesus declaring he was a homophobic intollerant who needed to wipe out any civilization that did not follow him. that was his predisessors.
I think you are looking for something that does not exist in the Bible.. why would we change this ancient text?! when we can learn about the ancient periods from it the way it is?? why do we need to moderate it and manipulate it to a 'light' version, when the current one is much more juicy?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Is reading Grimm's Fairy Tales abuse, too? Those stories scared my kids, particularly in Cinderella when those crows peck out the stepsisters' eyes. Or when they cut up their feet to fit the shoe. ;)
Lets ban all the good stuff... first person shooters, metal, action movies, comics and the Bible :D

slave2six

Substitious
I disagree. Those who "take the Bible seriously" can (and do!) do so without emphasizing God's wrath or condemnation of humanity. There are those of us who are sane, who emphasize the overarching message of God's compassion, love, mercy, kindness, grace, and reconciliation.

"Taking the Bible seriously" does not mean assigning the same weight to every statement made therein.

I am a "true believer," and I believe many things, none of which include God sending God's children to suffer eternally in hell.

Right now, I believe I'll have a drink...
:beach:
I believe I'll join you.

My point was, however, that since there is so much open to interpretation in the Bible if a person truly believes in a place called Hell and they truly believe that if they don't "train up a child in the way that he should go" then they are going against their conscience by behaving in ways that might land their kids in eternal damnation (I'm talking strictly from that particular person's point of view). If they truly believe that what they are doing is the best means of saving their children from eternal torment, are they not right to behave so?

I'm not saying that what they believe is correct but if you think that there is some genetic tendency within your family toward alcoholism and you don't warn your kids against it then aren't you omitting something that could be disastrous for your kids?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Disney must have sanitized those parts for my protection.

slave2six

Substitious
Or where the wolf killed grandma, ripped off her face and put it on himself. No. Wait. That was Hannibal Lecter. Never mind.

What books have you been reading?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Disney must have sanitized those parts for my protection.

Yet they had an entire musical section with the Devil, had an abusive stepmother as a villain, a psychotic Christian as another villain...

Yeah. Disney needs to be banned, too.

eclectic23

eclectic23
It does? :confused:

I think you are looking for something that does not exist in the Bible.. why would we change this ancient text?! when we can learn about the ancient periods from it the way it is?? why do we need to moderate it and manipulate it to a 'light' version, when the current one is much more juicy?

i know its a fools dream.
and i agree with you. what a great opportunity to learn first hand about ancient times. i just dont think many people look at it that way. i just wish that more people could take it for what it is and who it was written by. give people a chance to make their own interpretation before being told what to make of it. we all know the basics. morality. but what about the great stories of the bible. do they have to be taken literally or could they be representitive of something else that the people of these times didnt understand or know how to describe. i just want other peoples opinions on what these stories could be saying. instead of believeing the impossible maybe its a embelleshed story about something very possible. maybe jesus was just a talented guy. maybe he woke up from a coma instead of rose from the dead. why dont i hear these questions more? or maybe im just a blowhole looking for the crypt sheets of religion cause my attention span sucks. lol . more likely the latter.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
i know its a fools dream.
and i agree with you. what a great opportunity to learn first hand about ancient times. i just dont think many people look at it that way. i just wish that more people could take it for what it is and who it was written by. give people a chance to make their own interpretation before being told what to make of it. we all know the basics. morality. but what about the great stories of the bible. do they have to be taken literally or could they be representitive of something else that the people of these times didnt understand or know how to describe. i just want other peoples opinions on what these stories could be saying. instead of believeing the impossible maybe its a embelleshed story about something very possible. maybe jesus was just a talented guy. maybe he woke up from a coma instead of rose from the dead. why dont i hear these questions more? or maybe im just a blowhole looking for the crypt sheets of religion cause my attention span sucks. lol . more likely the latter.
Actually, I have no reason to think people 'in those days' were less sharp, some stories do not represent what the people didnt understand, but what they understood very well, from their contemporary social and geopolitical world, they understood what they stories said, and the expressed ideology in them.
for example the story of the conquest of Canaan was written in the time that dramatic events took place in Judah and around it, such as the decline of the mighty Assyrian empire, the story perfectly reflected their geopolitical reality, and the ideology behind it was very easy to relate to.

Last edited: