• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the government create a law that requires Congress to balance the budget?

EconGuy

#1 is that having a balanced budget saves money.
So, I'd argue that the government cannot "save" money (at least in the dollars that it creates) it can only reduce the amount of money it's created (what we call the debt), but let's stick a pin in that for now as the explanation requires more unlearning than learning. Let me address your other points and maybe we can swing back to this one at some point.
Borrowing costs. Interest payments are a big position in the budget.

Ahh....Here is the key. Understanding that every transaction has two parts, both of which you've identified here.

Costs and payments and what's being transacted (so there are 4 things to record in any transaction)

Who does it cost?

Who get's the payments?

Instead of explaining it all right here, I'll let that simmer in your mind and see what you (or anyone else) thinks and we can come back to it.
But sometimes borrowing can save money. When a project brings more revenue than the costs of interest, borrowing is good. And sometimes one has to borrow to prevent even higher cost in the long run. Disaster relief is such a case.

Right, we call this investment. For a very simple example, let's imagine two cities and commerce that occurs between them. However, there is also a river and the only bridge is several miles north, so any travel between the two cities requires more driving than it would if there were a bridge closer that could cut miles and time off the trip between the two cities. Imagine the bridge costs $100 million to build and will last 50 years. Imagine how much time an expense it could save the people that use it.

Now, that's a simple example, not every dollar of government spending has benefits that can be measured that easily. Spending money on safety is harder to measure as something not happening or avoided is harder to "see".

There is also opportunity cost, that being spending money on one thing can reduce or eliminate spending somewhere else. So buying a bridge might cost the opportunity to build a new hospital, thus it can be said that the cost of the bridge is one hospital, so any benefits the bridge delivers has to be measured against potential losses in other places that money could have gone (cost benefit analysis).

But, part of the problem with trying to understand government spending is the people tend to shift which side they are considering but don't shift the language they use or worse realize they are shifting their point-of-view.

Is the government's spending your cost or your income? After all, if the government pays you to do a job and credits your bank account with money, then it would be correct to say that the government's costs are your income, right?

Even if you argue that the government takes 20% of what it's paid you for taxes, the net-net of that transaction is still a surplus to you and a deficit to the government. But that's only looking at the cost side because the government got something of value in return, we can't just look at spending, right?

So when we say the government is running a deficit aren't we really looking at things from only the government's side? Isn't the government's deficit your (the private sector's) surplus?

And if that's true, then the government's surplus (what we call the government "saving" money) has to be the private sector's deficit?

I'll leave you with this to ponder by asking a question that I will come back to.

Is it possible to spend money without someone else earning an income?

If the answer is yes, then is it possible to reduce spending without reducing income somewhere else?
An otherwise balanced budget would be a good idea.

Hopefully when this conversation concludes I can change your mind. I'd argue that, in the economy we have today, a balanced budget would utterly destroy the US economy in just a few years.

That doesn't mean that I believe that everywhere and always a yearly deficit is good, I'm only arguing that in the situation the US finds itself in today (something I'd call the prevailing economic conditions), specifically a nation that is a large net importer (maybe we'll get to why this matters), with a growing population, where technology is increasing the amount of work that can be done, in a nation that creates it's own currency and does not rely on foreign dollars with the goal of increasing GDP, that under these circumstances that a government defect of some size, generally is a very good thing.

Now, I tend to ramble on a bit at times and I can't explain every circumstance, but suffice it to say there are some spending and some levels of deficit that could be considered bad, but this would be getting down into the weeds of prevailing economic conditions. If anyone is curious about what I mean, hopefully they will ask.
A law for a balanced budget incentivizes the sale of valuable assets.

It does, but as you noted, the government can only sell a real asset one time, like real estate, but will persist for the foreseeable future. Hopefully the people making these kinds of decisions will realize the futility in selling real assets to fund the government and how incredibly finite and wasteful that is.

Just ask Russia about how it feels about the sale of Alaska today.
Borrowing from foreign nations can be an even more crippling dependency than the dependency on local banks and afaik most nations are in debt to other nations.

I hear this claim of dependency, but I will argue that is a myth. Rather than lay out the whole thing here, I'll ask a few questions and let's see if we can tease out why this isn't true at all.

If we look at a nation like China. China currently holds $868.9 billion dollars in US treasuries (and approx $2 trillion more in US dollars accounts). Those are mixed between the Chinese government (which I believe owns the lions share) and the Chinese private individuals.

First question.

Ever given any thought to how the Chinese government came to hold so many US dollars?

Why would the Chinese government, clearly an ideological rival of the US buy US government bonds at all?

Now, imagine that China decided not to buy US bonds, what would be the consequences?

As for as calling bond sales "borrowing" I'd like to clear something up.

When you and I go to a bank and borrow money, it is the bank that sets the terms of the loan, the interest, the terms and the penalties. But when the government (or any bond seller) sells bonds, it is the seller that sets the terms. The idea that the government is dependent on bond purchasers ignores why the purchaser buys them in the first place. China doesn't want to "lend" money to the US government. It buys bonds because it has to, at least in the situation it finds itself now (a HUGE net exporter to the US).

This will undoubtedly raise more questions than it answers and I don't want to try to explain too much to fast, so I'll let you chew on that.

That said, understanding econ is key IMO, because almost anything good worth doing costs money and if you don't understand government finance all anyone has to do to shut down a conversation is ask, "well how ya gonna pay for it...hmmmm?" The sooner we all understand the answer to that question (and hint, it's not Federal taxes) the sooner we'll understand how much we can buy and then argue what we should be buying.

One other point that often goes unspoken and rather assumed. Behind all of this we should all be asking ourselves what goals should be be striving for as a nation. I mean, real fundamentals here. Freedom, happiness, security, justice, health, well-being ect. Only once we know what it is we want to achieve can we evaluate our actions in the light of what we believe should be our goals as a nation.

Respectfully,

EG

Last edited:

EconGuy

P.S.: Many experts will tell us that government debt can't be compared to private debt and that government debt is a good thing. Those "experts" are also working for (or have been) big banks.

And it's true (government debt can't be compared to private debt) and we can get to banking side if you are interested as it is a HUGE piece of where money comes from. I'm not going to defend banks, but I can set the record straight on how they work and what the incentives are, because again, it can't be fixed if we don't understand it.

Heyo

Veteran Member
And it's true (government debt can't be compared to private debt) and we can get to banking side if you are interested as it is a HUGE piece of where money comes from. I'm not going to defend banks, but I can set the record straight on how they work and what the incentives are, because again, it can't be fixed if we don't understand it.
But understanding it can be very dangerous:
9c374-henry_ford_quote_banking_and_monetary_system_revolution_federal_reserve_banksterism_2.jpg

Heyo

Veteran Member
As for as calling bond sales "borrowing" I'd like to clear something up.

When you and I go to a bank and borrow money, it is the bank that sets the terms of the loan, the interest, the terms and the penalties. But when the government (or any bond seller) sells bonds, it is the seller that sets the terms. The idea that the government is dependent on bond purchasers ignores why the purchaser buys them in the first place. China doesn't want to "lend" money to the US government. It buys bonds because it has to, at least in the situation it finds itself now (a HUGE net exporter to the US).
If there is more than one bank around the borrower can chose their conditions.
If there is more than one bond seller around the creditor can chose their conditions.
So, calling bond selling not borrowing is just window dressing. Let's keep it real and keep it honest.

Wandering Monk

I'll say up front that I'm against this idea. If you think it's a good idea explain the benefits that you think make it worthwhile.

-Cheers.
How would this be any different than returning to the gold standard? Restricting the money supply can have serious consequences, especially for a nation whose currency is the reserve currency of exchange GLOBALLY.

EconGuy

But understanding it can be very dangerous:
9c374-henry_ford_quote_banking_and_monetary_system_revolution_federal_reserve_banksterism_2.jpg

But isn't that just a lazy appeal to authority? I'd argue that Mr. Ford, in his position as a wealthy company owner had a very biased view of how government finance works. More specifically is bias informed his beliefs. Ford may have been very good at building a company and innovating in the areas where other did not, but to my knowledge, Mr. Ford had no special insights to how government finance worked and I suspect it made him ignore or unaware of areas of government finance.

This would be like appealing to Bezos or Musk as experts on government finance. I don't know much about Bezos, but Musk is busy losing his *** on Twitter, and I'll make a prediction right here right now. Within 5 years Musk will be close to bankruptcy. Why? Because like most extremely wealthy people he has become convinced of his own legend. It's hard to stay grounded when everyone is calling you a genius.

That said, the economic system has gone though at least two major shifts since 1922, the "gold backed period from 1936-1970 and the fiat system since.

Respectfully,

EG

EconGuy

If there is more than one bank around the borrower can chose their conditions.

No, any bank you borrow from sets the terms, sure you can shop for better terms, but the bank still sets the terms.

If there is more than one bond seller around the creditor can chose their conditions.

Again, see above. It's like saying shopping for a price means you determine the price. You can determine how much you are willing to pay, but if you can't find a seller at that price all you've determined is that you aren't going to buy that thing. You didn't determine the price.

In the case of bond sales the US only sells it's bonds in US dollars. So, if a nation has $1 trillion US dollars, it has little choice but to buy US bonds.

So, calling bond selling not borrowing is just window dressing. Let's keep it real and keep it honest.

Touché ;)

Respectfully,

EG

EconGuy

How would this be any different than returning to the gold standard?

Make sure I'm understanding. Are you asking me how balancing the budget would be different than a gold standard?

Restricting the money supply can have serious consequences, especially for a nation whose currency is the reserve currency of exchange GLOBALLY.

Agreed. The reserve currency thing really needs to be understood better.
I'm well versed on reserve currency and what it means.

Most people mistakenly call the US dollar the reserve currency, and while it is by far the worlds largest reserve currency, it's important to understand why and the fact that any currency that is saved by other nations is technically a reserve currency for someone. And NO, it's not because Saudi Arabia prices oil in dollars.

We're actually seeing the Chinese try to establish the Renminbi as a reserve for oil between the BRICs nations. But it won't work at least right now, and it's not because the US will use it's military to crush all comers, the answer is much much simpler than that.

But before I charge off in explaining something you really didn't ask, I'll wait for your response. If your interested I can finish where I was going with this.

I will just finish by showing one aspect of global reserves:

1687707433553.png

Respectfully,

EG

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hopefully when this conversation concludes I can change your mind. I'd argue that, in the economy we have today, a balanced budget would utterly destroy the US economy in just a few years.
The US is so deep in dept and so deep into the debt economy that even with the best intentions and best methods it would take multiple decades to balance the budget without crashing the economy.
I said a balanced budget would be a good idea, at least in theory. I don't think it is feasible 1. due to constrains that have developed with the dept economy and 2. because there are many powerful actors who'd lose out in a balanced economy, first of them the bankers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
P.S.: Many experts will tell us that government debt can't be compared to private debt and that government debt is a good thing. Those "experts" are also working for (or have been) big banks.
Un-name "experts" make a value judgement.
What's their description of "good".

EconGuy

The US is so deep in dept and so deep into the debt economy that even with the best intentions and best methods it would take multiple decades to balance the budget without crashing the economy.
Respectfully, you are confusing two things, debt and defect/ surplus. We can balance the budget from this day forward without repaying the debt.
I said a balanced budget would be a good idea, at least in theory.
And I'm saying that in the world we live in, today, it's a terrible idea and my response was an attempt at a conversation I hope you'll join :cool:
because there are many powerful actors who'd lose out in a balanced economy, first of them the bankers.
To the contrary, I think bankers would make out most. Because if the government stopped running a deficit (which functionally adds new money to the economy), the only way to add new money would be via banking as banks also add new money to the economy (though the net-net is a wash, but I can explain that if you're interested).

But now, Banks would be, IMO big winners if the government balanced the budget.

Respectfully,

EG

Heyo

Veteran Member
No, any bank you borrow from sets the terms, sure you can shop for better terms, but the bank still sets the terms.
Again, see above. It's like saying shopping for a price means you determine the price. You can determine how much you are willing to pay, but if you can't find a seller at that price all you've determined is that you aren't going to buy that thing. You didn't determine the price.
It's slightly more complicated than that (and I guess you know it). The fact that multiple suppliers of money and dept exist makes them compete. Without a monopoly you can't set prices willy-nilly. I.e. the conditions for loans as well as for bonds are set by the market and only slight deviations are possible. And as loans and bonds are only different sides of the same coin they also influence each other.
In the case of bond sales the US only sells it's bonds in US dollars. So, if a nation has $1 trillion US dollars, it has little choice but to buy US bonds.
And sell them to other nations. If malicious and willing to take a big loss, they could dump their bonds onto the market which makes the dollar crash so hard it won't recover.
Trusting in the financial rationality of your business partner can backfire. We just had to relearn that lesson with Putin.
(We = Germany had a mutually beneficial deal on purchasing gas from Russia. We both invested in two pipelines to facilitate that deal. One of the side effects of the deal, we hoped, was that Russia wouldn't enter into funny business as it would cost them a lot of money. We were wrong.)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Respectfully, you are confusing two things, debt and defect/ surplus. We can balance the budget from this day forward without repaying the debt.
Yes, I was a bit unclear about that - though not confused.
The yearly budget can be balanced without regarding the dept - except for the interest and the refinancing of the existing dept which still lingers on the budget.
And I'm saying that in the world we live in, today, it's a terrible idea and my response was an attempt at a conversation I hope you'll join :cool:
I don't think it's a terrible idea but I think it isn't feasible.
To the contrary, I think bankers would make out most. Because if the government stopped running a deficit (which functionally adds new money to the economy), the only way to add new money would be via banking as banks also add new money to the economy (though the net-net is a wash, but I can explain that if you're interested).

But now, Banks would be, IMO big winners if the government balanced the budget.
How so? Interest is the banks way to make (real) money. If the government would stop to lend money, the banks wouldn't be happy.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
#3 A law for a balanced budget incentivizes raising taxes. Nobody likes to pay higher taxes and a party which promotes that has little chances to win an election. Thus the government is limited in its power and nothing will be done.
Betcha our resident libertarian (@Revoltingest) would approve of that -- it reads like a "how-to" to reduce the size of government.

EconGuy

The fact that multiple suppliers of money and dept exist makes them compete. Without a monopoly you can't set prices willy-nilly. I.e. the conditions for loans as well as for bonds are set by the market and only slight deviations are possible. And as loans and bonds are only different sides of the same coin they also influence each other.
Ahh...but, as I said above. If China wants to purchase bonds and it has $1.2 trillion US dollars, realistically speaking, China can only purchase US bonds. Sure, it can exchange some of it's US dollars for some other currency to buy other bonds (and recently it has), but $1.2 trillion dollars is more money than the yearly GDP of 37 nations and 165 nations have a GDP of less than $5 trillion.

Not to mention exchanging money to buy another nations bonds has a cost. This is why China holds $886 billion dollars in US bonds and another $1.2 trillion in US foreign exchange reserves (I said $2 trillion previously, that's China's total exchange reserves of all currencies).

The US government does have a monopoly of sorts in that it only sells it's bonds in money it creates. Again, understanding why China has come to hold about $2 trillion US dollars between bonds and exchange reserves is really key in understanding the relationship.
And sell them to other nations. If malicious and willing to take a big loss, they could dump their bonds onto the market which makes the dollar crash so hard it won't recover.

Big loss? You mean like the country falling apart and deposing the communist regime? Yeah, I don't think so.

This is where understanding the consequences really matters.

Ok, let's see if I can explain.....

You buy a laptop from China.

A company in China gets some of your money for it's productive inputs. Now a company in China has some US dollars, but in China things are paid with Yuan, so that company has to convert US dollars to Yuan so it can pay its expenses and taxes. It tells it's bank, to change the money to Yuan.

However, because there is a massive trade deficit, from the US side, or trade surplus from the Chinese side (or said another way, the US has a goods surplus and China has a goods deficit with the US) there is much larger demand for yuan than supply....Why?

Because the US is a HUGE net importer. But remember transactions have more than one side. So while we are a HUGE net importer of goods we are a HUGE net exporter of our dollar. Right now there are about $12 trillion US dollars owned by non-us interests around the world. Those are dollars saved and not exchanged.

The result is there is a much greater demand for yuan than supply. econ 101 says that when demand is up and supply is low price goes up. This is why the Chinese government intervenes and sets a price cap. This prevents the Yuan from increasing in price beyond a certain amount.

But how does it accomplish the price cap?

Simple, it "prints" yuan and buys US dollars, so now the Chinese government has created money to buy US dollars so that Chinese businesses can have Yuan to pay workers, buy raw materials and pay taxes (to name just a few).

Now, if the Chinese government stopped purchasing US bonds, it would mean that China just sits on a growing pile of cash. Sure the world could absorb some, but remember the nations of Europe don't sell bonds in US dollars, only Euros. If China spends the money, it will have to spend it in markets that accept the US dollar (99% of that being the US). Exports would increase (increasing GDP and lowering unemployment), the trade defect would shrink and in the end, Chinese companies would then find that because the Chinese government isn't buying US bonds, it can no longer buy US dollars. This would cause the value of the YUAN to skyrocket since China cannot simply divert it's exports in full to there parts of the world (if it could it world have already).

The result?

US consumers would see large shortages of Chinese goods (that's bad) and price in the US would increase. But, in China, the increasing price would result in decreasing demand leading to MASSIVE unemployment (this is worse).

What's worse? Inflation or unemployment? Sure there would be political upheaval here, we'd elect new people, but in China the government would collapse. Someone once said, people are generally only 9 square meals away from a revolution.

I'd argue that the US could slowly find other nations willing to provide low wage work in exchange for goods and services (much of that work would find it's way back to the US in the form of highly automated factories for ever eliminating the need for low wage work thus the problem here would be temporary, but very painful as covid has shown). There isn't a market in the world that could absorb all the output currently sold here in the US (Russians are having the same problem right now with oil).

So in the end, the US trades low prices here for low unemployment there.

respectfully,

EG

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Overall, I'm not as fan of making laws that presume we can foresee all possibilities. So, no, I wouldn't favour such a law.

However, among the things I would favour are:
  • Mandatory posting by government of the total interest to be paid each year, as a real dollar figure and as percentage of overall program spending.
  • A requirement that, in the absence of war or catastrophe, governments be required to pay down a portion of overall debt each year -- even if only 1/2 of 1%.
Think of families: without borrowing, how would they ever afford a home? But once they've borrowed, they've got to figure the cost of borrowing into every subsequent budget: we pay the principal, feed and clothe ourselves and the kids, pay for school supplies and transportation and vacations and recreation -- and interest. We can't just keep borrowing every year -- the interest must be paid, and if we're to get ahead,, the principal must be reduced on a regular basis. At least until the next emergency.

EconGuy

How so? Interest is the banks way to make (real) money. If the government would stop to lend money, the banks wouldn't be happy.

Because I suspect you think that banks lend deposits, right? And that caping government creation of new money means less money for banks to lend? Right?

Oh boy, you better sit down.

Banks don't lend deposits. If your interested I can dig up papers written by the US Fed, Deutsche Bank, the Bank of England, The Chief Economist at Standard and Poors etc etc....

Banks create money in the form of balance sheet expansion.

Basically it looks like this....( a made a diagram :p )

1687711567882.png

Let's see where that get's us :cool:

Heyo

Veteran Member
But isn't that just a lazy appeal to authority?
It wasn't really an argument but an (insider) joke.
Although in a "funny because it's true" way. Understanding the financial system can make people angry. I know I am.
I don't know much about Bezos, but Musk is busy losing his *** on Twitter, and I'll make a prediction right here right now. Within 5 years Musk will be close to bankruptcy. Why? Because like most extremely wealthy people he has become convinced of his own legend. It's hard to stay grounded when everyone is calling you a genius.
On that we agree, together with Thounderf00t:
That said, the economic system has gone though at least two major shifts since 1922, the "gold backed period from 1936-1970 and the fiat system since.
Well, the $ wasn't backed in 1970 anymore. That was only the time we found out.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Because I suspect you think that banks lend deposits, right? And that caping government creation of new money means less money for banks to lend? Right?

Oh boy, you better sit down.

Banks don't lend deposits. If your interested I can dig up papers written by the US Fed, Deutsche Bank, the Bank of England, The Chief Economist at Standard and Poors etc etc....

Banks create money in the form of balance sheet expansion.

Basically it looks like this....( a made a diagram :p )

View attachment 78973

Let's see where that get's us :cool:
I know, that's why I said that interest is the way to make real money. Banks lend off fiat money that evaporates as soon as its gets paid back. But the interest you have to pay has to be real money. That's why the banks don't care about you paying back the loan as long as you pay interest.