• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should We Avoid Criticizing or Satirizing Minority Religious Doctrines?

Should we avoid criticizing the religious doctrines of minority groups?

• Yes

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Whether or not an individual represents a minority or a majority should be irrelevant with respect to upholding basic standards of civility and decency, otherwise known as the "don't be an $#@%" rule. Criticism can, but does not necessarily, violate that rule.

Fair point. I can't help but feel that it is a secondary consideration in these times of rising militarism, though.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The majority of the religious have never done anything good, so maybe the minority will do better, its usually the majority that are wrong.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Can I ask why ?.

Thanks for asking.

One reason why is because, for all our faults, people do usually make an attempt to be on the right. It is reasonable to expect that sometimes the majority will indeed be in the right.

Another is because it is somewhat difficult to delimit what the "majority of the religious", as you put it, have done. And to say that it is "nothing good"... well, it is just a bit too judgmental and bold even for my admitedly tolerant tastes on the matter.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Thanks for asking.

One reason why is because, for all our faults, people do usually make an attempt to be on the right. It is reasonable to expect that sometimes the majority will indeed be in the right.

Another is because it is somewhat difficult to delimit what the "majority of the religious", as you put it, have done. And to say that it is "nothing good"... well, it is just a bit too judgmental and bold even for my admitedly tolerant tastes on the matter.
Yes you are right, I was a bit too harsh, but still I hope a minority will show the way, after all someone has to.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We all should hope for healthy, innovative minorities, I think on that much we can agree.

If I may say so, I appreciate the humility of this latest post of yours, as well.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
We all should hope for healthy, innovative minorities, I think on that much we can agree.

If I may say so, I appreciate the humility of this latest post of yours, as well.
Thanks, I also love all animals, but sometimes I have to come down hard on animals such as cockroaches in my unit lol.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I see legitimate criticism as having little in common with gratuitous ridicule.

Not sure where you were headed with this, but in the end, it cannot matter. Because, no one, and I mean no one, has what it takes to be the censor.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I myself just cannot understand why people get upset when their beliefs are laughed at, you can laugh at my beliefs as long as you want to, at least I made you happy. Na, its childish to get upset over beliefs, if this was a children's forum it maybe different.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I myself just cannot understand why people get upset when their beliefs are laughed at, you can laugh at my beliefs as long as you want to, at least I made you happy. Na, its childish to get upset over beliefs, if this was a children's forum it maybe different.

There are societies that place a great deal of value in conforming to expectations. And there are definitely people who simply do not truly know how to deal with deviations from conforming to those expectations.

Freedom is valuable, among other reasons, because there is a price to be paid for it. And that price is not fully paid by the person proper.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
There are societies that place a great deal of value in conforming to expectations. And there are definitely people who simply do not truly know how to deal with deviations from conforming to those expectations.

Freedom is valuable, among other reasons, because there is a price to be paid for it. And that price is not fully paid by the person proper.
Yes freedom is the word, freedom to say what you want about beliefs, and freedom to get upset by it, its all freedom.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I don't think any group should be dissed for their beliefs, so long as their beliefs don't morph into public policy or entitlement. JWs can believe what they want to, and I support their right to hold those beliefs. But the minute they begin broadcasting how God doesn't love me, and how I'm going to hell, and begin publicly disrespecting my beliefs, I'll ridicule them till the cows come home. Same with the wacky fundigelicals: if they don't want to "believe" in homosexual marriage (even though it exists), they don't have to -- but the minute they try to curtail others from practicing it, I'll ridicule them to death.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
All this holier-than-thou, righteous indignation, "I'm all offended" crap that some Muslim extremists are foisting on the world? it's nothing more than entitlement. Put. It. Down. HARD.

Reactions: gsa

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Yes freedom is the word, freedom to say what you want about beliefs, and freedom to get upset by it, its all freedom.
You are right. Everyone has the right to get upset over whatever they want, be it a satirical cartoon or a butterfly. People DO NOT have any right to use violence/destruction as a way to express their being upset.

gsa

All this holier-than-thou, righteous indignation, "I'm all offended" crap that some Muslim extremists are foisting on the world? it's nothing more than entitlement. Put. It. Down. HARD.

Yup. I take it about as seriously as an evangelical claim that they are being persecuted because they have to treat women and gays and religious minorities with respect in the commercial sphere.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
But the question I'm asking is should people have the right to ridicule them? Not just me, but society as a whole?
Of course you (i.e. society) has the "right" to ridicule them. That right is written into the constitution.

EDIT: Personally, I think yes. However, from your responses I'm getting the impression that your answer deep down is "no" - am I correct?
I don't see all "rights" as being "right." I see ridicule as a cop-out. It's what people do when they've exhausted all of their more mature options. (Some people seem to get there right away.)

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Not sure where you were headed with this, but in the end, it cannot matter. Because, no one, and I mean no one, has what it takes to be the censor.
I think it's entirely justifiable to critique ideologies. We don't all believe the same things, and we have a right to express our opinion. Expressing one's opinion is not the same thing as censoring.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I don't have a real problem with people who laugh at my beliefs. It's when they laugh at what they inaccurately perceive to be my beliefs that I get annoyed. I mean, if you're going to make fun, at least get your facts straight first.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I think it's entirely justifiable to critique ideologies. We don't all believe the same things, and we have a right to express our opinion. Expressing one's opinion is not the same thing as censoring.

Hey Katzpur, I think you took my comment out of context. My only point was that no one is qualified to be a censor of other's critiques.