• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should We Avoid Criticizing or Satirizing Minority Religious Doctrines?

Should we avoid criticizing the religious doctrines of minority groups?

• Yes

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To elaborate, some harsher forms of criticism are sometimes more effective communication. Too much soft-pedaling can lead to confusion.
That it can, particularly when the interlocutors are primed to perceive moderation as weakness or insecurity.

Edited to add: Of course respectful communication is far better than the alternative. But it is not always truly available. I sincerely believe that there are frequent real-life situations where it is necessary to establish hazardous, disrespectful communication before respect can be pursued.

People can and often do refuse to perceive each other. And in those situations it can be necessary to sacrifice harmony and respect in order to ward off even more harmful stagnation.

It is an interesting tangent, come to think of that: how intensely disrespectful the insistence on isolation and lack of communication can be.

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Yeah, you used it as an example, I called you on it and now you have to deal with it.
I don't have to deal with what you said at all, there is nothing to deal with, I have already said what I have said, its up to you to deal with that.

gsa

Yup, there's your rationale: Recent Euro anti-semitism. We've picked on the Jews long enough. It's time to call off the dogs and sic 'em on somebody else for awhile.

Who's "us"? You personally? I really have no idea. I don't pay all that much attention to what you've said about Islam.

I'm mostly concerned about religion when it is harming others. Not all religion is equal in this way.

Anyway, atheists are very critical of Islam as a rule is my point, if they are generally critical of religion.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Yea, I'm not making fun of your beliefs, I'm just saying if you have a belief that is weird to most then you must expect ridicule, I get ridicule all the time with what I believe, and that is how I like it, lets face it, you yourself must think some other beliefs is weird, be honest now.
They're "different." To me, that doesn't mean I think it's okay to ridicule them. And I am being honest. If you were to go through every one of my more than 25,000 posts on RF, you would find that I have occasionally resorted to sarcasm in responding to people who are constantly annoying. I have also been very outspoken when I have disagreed with someone on an issue (frequently even with people of my same religion). I've posted things I've later regretted, but ridiculing other people's beliefs is just not my thing.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I'm mostly concerned about religion when it is harming others. Not all religion is equal in this way.

Anyway, atheists are very critical of Islam as a rule is my point, if they are generally critical of religion.
Yes they are, and that is simply because they don't believe in a god, there has never been any proof what so ever, and that is all it is.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
They're "different." To me, that doesn't mean I think it's okay to ridicule them. And I am being honest. If you were to go through every one of my more than 25,000 posts on RF, you would find that I have occasionally resorted to sarcasm in responding to people who are constantly annoying. I have also been very outspoken when I have disagreed with someone on an issue (frequently even with people of my same religion). I've posted things I've later regretted, but ridiculing other people's beliefs is just not my thing.
There has been no sarcasm here whatever..............there has only been questions and replies, how you take that is up to you. I use to be a Seventh Day Adventist for more than 16 years, at the end I just had to laugh at what I was drawn into all those years, so I can laugh at myself. and if we can do that then there is nothing wrong in laughing at any other beliefs, its a healthy way to be, after all laughter is the best medicine lol.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Come on stop being childish, and have a good laugh for Christ sake.
I do so frequently, often at myself and even at my religion. I just don't enjoy laughing at someone else's expense, because to me, that's being childish.

Ashraf

If you want to add more oil to the fire, then go ahead

Start a war and begin complaining about targeting "innocent civilians" by those "evil terrorists"

Hypocrisy of some westerners is really sickening.They want that so-called freedom against certain religious groups but prevent it with force and law against others

and you know what I mean