• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Kesh - unshorn hair: We are perfect as we are, so we don't need to change ourselves and should accept our perfection
Kirpān - the short sword : To fight injustice and protect the innocent
Kachhera (also kachha) - modest, long boxers: For modesty and to control lust
Kanga - a wooden comb: Cleanliness and order is important
Kara - a circular bracelet: To remember God: who has no end, no beginning, just like the circular bracelet.

Of course, to reiterate again, the five k's are not necessary for being a Sehajdhari Sikh. They are, however, compulsory for a Sikh baptised into the Khālsā, or Lord's Army of the Pure.

Sikhism is nondual:

ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ
Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.
ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ॥੨੫॥
You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||

Gurū Granth Sāhib, page 1365.

Thanks! :)

Marco19

Researcher
Hello my friends, sorry for annoying again :D

I'll be happy if you explain the idea of preta from Sikh POV.
are they existed? live in different realm? do they have inter-relation/connecntion with humans?

Thanks in advance :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Sikhism does not speak of pretas in the same way of Hinduism, and especially Buddhism.

The term ਪ੍ਰੇਤ [pret; sometimes people spell it "paret"] occurs 13 times in Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib jī, and usually it appears to be, pretty much, synonymous with 'ghost'. There's only one real instance of SGGS mentioning of one becoming a preta, but even these appear more metaphorical than anything to me.

I've never heard of a Sikh believing in pretas personally, but I'm sure some do. If one does, I suppose it's not very different from the Hindu style?

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hello my friends, sorry for annoying again :D

I'll be happy if you explain the idea of preta from Sikh POV.
are they existed? live in different realm? do they have inter-relation/connecntion with humans?

Thanks in advance :)

hi dear Marco , thanks for your questions :p

As Od ji said ,there is not much about them in Guru Granth Sahib but existence of " Pareta " is not denied in Guru Granth Sahib .

Ka▫ī kot jakẖ▫y kinnar pisācẖ.
Many millions are the Yakhshas - the servants of the god of wealth, the Kinnars - the gods of celestial music, and the evil spirits of the Pisaach.a

Ka▫ī kot bẖūṯ pareṯ sūkar marigācẖ.
Many millions are the evil nature-spirits, ghosts, pigs and tigers.

Sabẖ ṯe nerai sabẖhū ṯe ḏūr.
He is near to all, and yet far from all;

Nānak āp alipaṯ rahi▫ā bẖarpūr. ||4||
O Nanak, He Himself remains distinct, while yet pervading all. ||4||

Marco19

Researcher
Thanks Odion & Gursikh,

well, to discover more how the people understand the parets (since it's existed), i visited two Gurdwaras... well, i haven't planned but it's just occured.

the first was afghani Gurdwara where i had the chance to talk to the main priest, but unfortunately we couldn't have good communication because we didn't have common language to talk :D his english wasn't good enough to talk in deep religious things, and my knowledge in pashtu or persian is a big ZERO, nevertheless i got the positive enrgy from him, and his humble welcoming and explaining the story of the temple.

so then i decided to visit another temple (i was in a city where 4 temples are), it was for punjabi people (or that was my feeling, because i spoke with 4 all were originally from punjab), but unfortunately they didn't know that much about paret, and adviced me to come early so i'll have the chance to talk with the priest (when i arrived, it was already lunch time, so had the chance to eat indian food :) )

just wanted to share this, and thank both for your patient with me.

Satyamavejayanti

If you have any questions on Sikhism, Sikh practice, culture, philosophy, history or tradition, ask away!

All genuine questions welcome - it doesn't matter how big or small, and no question is a stupid question. :)

So, ask away!

friend, can i ask what is the sikh view of the Vedas.

chinu

chinu
Says kabir: Kya soche barambara?
English: O man what are you thinking again and again ? lol..

Kya padiye kya gunniye?
English: What is the use of reading and writing the same things again and again? lol..

Kya ved purana pariye?
English: What is the use of reading veds and purans again and again ? lol..

Pare likhe kya hoie ?
English: What is the benifit of reading and writing the same things again and again ? lol..

Jo sehaj na milyo soi :shrug:
English: Because this is not the way to get god :shrug:

Kehat kabir abb janiya, aab janiya to mann maniya -- mann mane log naa patjie, na patije toh kya kijiye ?

English: At the end says kabir -- that now i came to know this truth, and now after knowing this truth my mind has also accpted this truth. But the people who are still sailing in illusion, how can they know this truth, and if they are unable to accept this truth than what can i do ? :shrug:

Kabir pass over this message for all the "Sikhs" or " The students" or "The students of spirituality" or "To all the students of spirituality in the whole world".

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

Sikhs respect the Vedas, as well as all texts. If they don't, then they're mistaken, IMHO.

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

- SSGS, page 1350.​

However, Sikhism does not believe that the Vedas contain all of the wealth of God.

ਵੇਦ ਕਹਹਿ ਵਖਿਆਣ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਣਾ ॥
The Vedas speak and expound on the Lord, but they do not know His limits.

- SGGS, page 148.​

ਅਸਟ ਦਸੀ ਚਹੁ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
The eighteen Puraanas and the four Vedas do not know His mystery.

- SGGS, page 355.​

In my opinion, whilst Sikhism has no issues with the Vedas, it does not believe that God can be confined, and many people will unfortunately not take the Vedas to heart, and many people who can and did learn the Vedas did not know of what they even said, much less the meaning behind the text, just repeating what they had learnt.

Hope this helps. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

Hey Marco,

I feel somewhat saddened by your experiences. There is no such thing as a Punjabi Gurdwara or Afghani Gurdwara, nor high caste nor low caste gurdwara. At least in Sikh philosophy. Some people, however, cannot put the philosophy into practice and cling to such ties as race and caste.

Thankfully in the modern world, this is being challenged. ;)

I think the reason they didn't know much about pretas/parets is because Sikhism does not really go into detail about them. Sikhs as far more concerned with merging with the One Lord in this life than worrying about coming back as a preta, or whether it's a just metaphor. That's my view, anyway. :)

Marco19

Researcher
Hello Gursikh, & Odion,

well yes, you both are right, Gurdwara is the same and one for all, i know that from my first visiting few years ago, but in this city i had that feeling may be because each community prefer to be at the same place or worship together or even it's just a chance to come together...

i wanted to add some pics but seems the forum doesn't support uploadings.

in all cases i'm planning to visit another Gurdwara in two weeks, it's in a different city, the first Gurdwara in that area, i'll try to be early so i can have that sticky sweet (ghee, water, suger) :D

Marco19

Researcher
I have another question, so i'm writing in a seperate reply...
what is the mainstream Sikh stands to 3HO?
is it concider part/branch/heresy/ not related to Sikhism?
have you any experience with them? what is your impression?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I have another question, so i'm writing in a seperate reply...
what is the mainstream Sikh stands to 3HO?
is it concider part/branch/heresy/ not related to Sikhism?
have you any experience with them? what is your impression?

Some are wary of them them. Many are okay with them. I'm fine with them.
I see them as Sikhs who do yoga, who are often predominantly Western.

Not much more I can say.. :D

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You've probably already answered this, but how strict are hair and dress rules in Sikhism?

Also, are there different sects of Sikhs? As in some that are more liberal etc.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
You've probably already answered this, but how strict are hair and dress rules in Sikhism?
Not very, really.

If you decide to take Baptism, then the five ks (unshorn hair, iron bangle, wooden comb, modest undershorts, and the short sword) are compulsory to wear. If you don't, they aren't compulsory to wear. You can wear them when, or if, you become ready for them.

Those who do not keep all five ks are the Sehajdhari -- the slow adopters. Many Sikhs are Sehajdharis. There are also many who keep the five ks who are not baptised. These are Sehajdharis, too.

Also, are there different sects of Sikhs? As in some that are more liberal etc.
Not really. Sikh sects are quite small in number. We have Namdharis, who are incredibly small, and Ravidassias, who can't decide whether they're Sikhs or not. That's about it that I can think of off hand who are sects.

Many of what are deemed as sects are historical failed offshoots, caste-groups (Ravidassias would fit into this one) or groups who mix Sikhism and another religion (usually Hinduism). The caste-groups should not be counted as sects, because of two reasons. The first is that Sikhism explicitly prohibits castes, as well as race, or sex discrimination, so a caste-group is a worthless idea.

There's a few other groups like the Udasis (ascetics, but they seem to IMHO mix Hinduism and Sikhism in their asceticism), Nirmalas (an order of intellectuals), and Sevapanthis (an order who strive in doing good for goodness' sake). Yet are they sects? I don't think so. If you asked them, they would say they are Sikhs. They would recite the root mantra of the Sikhs, the mool mantar.

As to "some that are more liberal", I don't really follow what you mean. What do you mean by more liberal? Liberal in regards to what?

nameless

The Creator
Kya ved purana pariye?
English: What is the use of reading veds and purans again and again ? lol..

chinu ji, does the vedas include SGGS too? ie any difference if SGGS is read again and again instead of vedas? ?

ਵੇਦ ਕਹਹਿ ਵਖਿਆਣ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਣਾ ॥
The Vedas speak and expound on the Lord, but they do not know His limits.
- SGGS, page 148.
ਅਸਟ ਦਸੀ ਚਹੁ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
The eighteen Puraanas and the four Vedas do not know His mystery.
- SGGS, page 355.
vedas itself said this wholeheartedly before others say ... :)
also says it is same for any other scriptures.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
vedas itself said this wholeheartedly before others say ... :)
also says it is same for any other scriptures.

Indeed, I have a lot of love and time for the Vedas and Upaniṣads. As long as I remember that they're all fingers pointing to the reflection of the moon in the water, and don't keep staring at the finger or reflection, I see no problem with it. ;)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not very, really.

If you decide to take Baptism, then the five ks (unshorn hair, iron bangle, wooden comb, modest undershorts, and the short sword) are compulsory to wear. If you don't, they aren't compulsory to wear. You can wear them when, or if, you become ready for them.

Those who do not keep all five ks are the Sehajdhari -- the slow adopters. Many Sikhs are Sehajdharis. There are also many who keep the five ks who are not baptised. These are Sehajdharis, too.

Not really. Sikh sects are quite small in number. We have Namdharis, who are incredibly small, and Ravidassias, who can't decide whether they're Sikhs or not. That's about it that I can think of off hand who are sects.

Many of what are deemed as sects are historical failed offshoots, caste-groups (Ravidassias would fit into this one) or groups who mix Sikhism and another religion (usually Hinduism). The caste-groups should not be counted as sects, because of two reasons. The first is that Sikhism explicitly prohibits castes, as well as race, or sex discrimination, so a caste-group is a worthless idea.

There's a few other groups like the Udasis (ascetics, but they seem to IMHO mix Hinduism and Sikhism in their asceticism), Nirmalas (an order of intellectuals), and Sevapanthis (an order who strive in doing good for goodness' sake). Yet are they sects? I don't think so. If you asked them, they would say they are Sikhs. They would recite the root mantra of the Sikhs, the mool mantar.

As to "some that are more liberal", I don't really follow what you mean. What do you mean by more liberal? Liberal in regards to what?

Liberal as in the rules a Sikh has to follow. You pretty much answered that question.