• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

Onkara

Respected Onkaara ji :)

Kindly ellaborate the term "revealed religion" for me ..;)

Dear Gursikh Ji :)
Hope you are well!

Revealed means to "to show something to someone." An example of a revealed religion is Islam because Allah revealed or showed Mohammed Allah's will.

So my question is based on that idea. Is Sikhism revealed to mankind by Waheguru?

Odion Ji says it is insight rather than revealed by God externally. I agree, we come to know Waheguru through knowing and insight. What do you think?

Gurtej

I don't think Allah revealed Islam to prophet Mohammed .. I mean if god wanted everyone to be a Muslim he cud have done it without him....

Like other religions Mohammad was shown the right way... God can't be confined in a book ... I Islam say Quran knows everything as it was revealed by god then I am sorry
To say they don't understand his creation

Onkara

Sat Sri Akal Gurtej ji
I cannot comment further as we are in the Sikh Directory and it would be against the rules, I was just using Islam as an example of the term Revealed, the focus is on Sikism really, which I don't feel is revealed to us, but is known intuitively by the Gurus. :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Dear Gursikh Ji :)
Hope you are well!

Revealed means to "to show something to someone." An example of a revealed religion is Islam because Allah revealed or showed Mohammed Allah's will.

So my question is based on that idea. Is Sikhism revealed to mankind by Waheguru?

Odion Ji says it is insight rather than revealed by God externally. I agree, we come to know Waheguru through knowing and insight. What do you think?

Thanks Onkaara ji for explanation

"to show something to someone" in that sense Sikhi is not revealed ;) , Someone is revealer and someone is reciever ,there lies Duality , Distinguishibility or "Classical Physics" applies .

As per Sikhi Creator is not separate from Creation , when one experiance this ,the Duality is Uplifted ,there is indistinguishibility ( Quantum Physics).

[SIZE=+1]ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ॥[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Sree Raag:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਤੋਹੀ ਮੋਹੀ ਮੋਹੀ ਤੋਹੀ ਅੰਤਰੁ ਕੈਸਾ ॥[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]You are me, and I am You-what is the difference between us?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਕਨਕ ਕਟਿਕ ਜਲ ਤਰੰਗ ਜੈਸਾ ॥੧॥[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]We are like gold and the bracelet, or water and the waves. ||1||[/SIZE]

Onkaara ji ,i feel this is basic difference between Dharmic n Abrahmic thought , what you think ?;)

Onkara

Gursikh ji
Your English improves so much, you should be proud my friend!
I think you are right, and you "hit the nail on the head" ;)

Yes, I think this is a difference between Dharmic religions and Abrahamic religions. Perhaps this is what attracts people to Sikhism, it is personal and about finding the way for oneself. Sikhism is beautiful isn't it! :)

Maija

Standard prayers are called Nit Nem (literally "Daily Naam"), so I understand.

1) Where would one find these prayers in English?
3) how many Nitnem are there? Is it required to say them all?
2) Is it OK for anyone to say these prayers?
4) Can they be said in English, or should they be said in Punjabi?
5) Is there a prayer said before eating? Like the way Christians say grace.

Last edited:

Marco19

Researcher
Standard prayers are called Nit Nem (literally "Daily Naam"), so I understand.

1) Where would one find these prayers in English?
3) how many Nitnem are there? Is it required to say them all?
2) Is it OK for anyone to say these prayers?
4) Can they be said in English, or should they be said in Punjabi?
5) Is there a prayer said before eating? Like the way Christians say grace.

Hello Maija,
i'm not a Sikh, but wanted to share the link below, where you may find Nitnem and many other useful scriptures:

Sri Guru Granth Sahib related PDF files for Pocket PC

Maija

Hello Maija,
i'm not a Sikh, but wanted to share the link below, where you may find Nitnem and many other useful scriptures:

Sri Guru Granth Sahib related PDF files for Pocket PC

Thank you Marco !

I will see if I can download this file for now, perhaps write down or copy and paste what I can find and print it out. But, i am very into hard copy books when it comes to any sort of a Holy Text. Little feels as good each time, well except for darshan or feeling God's presence- as does holding a holy text.

Thanks again :)

Can't wait to peek through it all and see what I learn.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
Many usually wear a a simple head-wrap style of turban (apparently called a parna, but I've never heard it called that IRL) just for kicking about the house in; however. The patka is less worn on its own for adults, unless they've just decided to keep kesh. :)

Sat sri akaal!

Not to jump in too late to the party, and I've not read all of this amazing thread, but I have seen some adults wear the patka outside for either work purposes (usually because they're having to wear a helmet or other protective headwear) and for sports. Prime example is Monty Panesar, a well-known British cricketer who is well-known for wearing the patka. I doubt that many sporting authorities or managers would allow the full turban for safety.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Sat sri akaal!

Not to jump in too late to the party, and I've not read all of this amazing thread, but I have seen some adults wear the patka outside for either work purposes (usually because they're having to wear a helmet or other protective headwear) and for sports. Prime example is Monty Panesar, a well-known British cricketer who is well-known for wearing the patka. I doubt that many sporting authorities or managers would allow the full turban for safety.

sat sri akaal ,dear .

Yes ,Patka is comfortable while playing .

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I'm sure I'm going to sound really shallow and stupid :foot: but the main reasons why I haven't embraced Sikhism are:

Kesh, it makes me a little uncomfortable but my biggest issue is that my husband dislikes body hair. I'm sure he would still love me but I feel a need to be sexy and attractive to him. He's British and thinks it's silly that people can't shave or cut their hair if that's what they want. I realise some people do cut Kesh but it doesn't seem to be seen in a positive light and I feel it's almost a basic thing to do? Am I wrong? I also like to dye my hair but that's very minor, it's no problem.

Language, I feel to really understand Sikh especially the SGGS, you have to learn the language. There's also a bit of a language barrier (although I hear it might be easier on weekends). I just feel as if I'll be a bit left out?

I love everything about Sikhism, I don't know how to tackle these issues that I have.

chinu

chinu
I'm sure I'm going to sound really shallow and stupid :foot: but the main reasons why I haven't embraced Sikhism are:

Kesh, it makes me a little uncomfortable but my biggest issue is that my husband dislikes body hair. I'm sure he would still love me but I feel a need to be sexy and attractive to him. He's British and thinks it's silly that people can't shave or cut their hair if that's what they want. I realise some people do cut Kesh but it doesn't seem to be seen in a positive light and I feel it's almost a basic thing to do? Am I wrong? I also like to dye my hair but that's very minor, it's no problem.

Language, I feel to really understand Sikh especially the SGGS, you have to learn the language. There's also a bit of a language barrier (although I hear it might be easier on weekends). I just feel as if I'll be a bit left out?

I love everything about Sikhism, I don't know how to tackle these issues that I have.
Just a question for you:)
Q: Your husband loves your body or you ?

Monotheist 101

Lol I have a question..Paajiis..

Why are Sikhs that I have met in person the jolliest people? And why are most Ive met online so mean to Muslims? :(

Im guessing the good ones dont have computers yet :D.. I am just kidding.. I love your culture..and Honey Singh or whatever that song is..lol

Last edited:

chinu

chinu

Why are sicks that I have met in person the jolliest people? And why are most Ive met online so mean to Muslims? :(

Im guessing the good ones dont have computers yet :D.. I am just kidding.. I love your culture..and Honey Singh or whatever that song is..lol
I hope you don't mean that these people behave good when they are infront of muslims, and they mean muslims when they are online. :D

Monotheist 101

I hope you don't mean that these people behave good when they are infront of muslims, and they mean muslims when they are online. :D

Honestly every Sikh I have come across..Ive genuinly wanted to befriend..they just seem humble and happy... I havent met millions of Sikhs tho..maybe like 10 in my life but not one of them hated me for being Muslim..or it didnt show.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

Why are Sikhs that I have met in person the jolliest people? And why are most Ive met online so mean to Muslims? :(

Namaste,

Two reasons, which every Sikh will never forget:

1. The genocide of Sikhs by Muslims (Mughals and Nadir Shah).
[These aren't just your average massacres; they compare in verocity to
those of Genghis Khan and his hordes.]

2. Partition. Partition. Partition. Read about the Rape of Rawalpindi.
[What those poor Sikh women went through.....]

The Sikhism Shrī Guru Nanak proposed and propagated was formalized (militarily) by Shrī Guru Gobind. The latter had enough of Islamic oppression and thus, went ape**** on Muslims. Who wouldn't when the whole world around you is after your guts? He was a force to be reckoned with. I am not a Sikh, but I have tons and tons of pictures of him around my house, a few collectables and other novels regarding the subject. I am no professional when it comes to Sikhism (and I hope the Sikh moderators and members can forgive me for my intrusion).

If you ever get the chance, read about Shrī Hari Nālwā. This guy even puts Alexander the Great to shame. He's the reason that Muslims in Afghanistan wear the Shelwar Kameez. It is an interesting and funny story too.

Regards,
M.V.