• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simple Living and Higher Thinking

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Can your technology create rain?

Yes.
Scientists Seed Clouds to Make Rain - ABC News

Despite all our pride we are still dependent on God.

Theists still have all their work ahead of them in the 'evidence for god' department.

"All living bodies subsist on food grains, which are produced from rains. Rains are produced by performance of yajña [sacrifice], and yajña is born of prescribed duties." Bhagavad-Gita 3.14

I'm a science teacher and when I explain to my pupils where rain comes from, 'sacrifice' is not a word I use often...

I think your conception of an "simple agragarian world", is to live like a primate.

We are primates.

Vedas offer advanced knowledge on medicine and everything that human beings need to be happy in this world and the next.

Well, make some breakthroughs and I'm sure there is a Nobel Price waiting for you.

In a Vedic world Ayurvedic doctors would have saved you, and they wouldn't have charged you an arm and a leg to do it either.

Sounds like Norway actually.
The doctors saved my life some 19 months ago and they charged me nothing. ^_^

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend I-Ching,

"it cannot be explained" because it makes no sense, like the sounds of one hand clapping.
One hand clap has to be experienced by the individual, to know.
Those who have not hear are yet to reach the state

every form and no-forms are born enlightened? no-forms aren't born.
Where do no-form come from??

There is a spiritual mind and spiritual emotions. How come enlightened people experience compassion, this is a symptom spiritual emotion. The enlightened person doesn't become void like a zombie. They think, feel and act on the spiritual platform.
They do everything cause they live in the moment and existence does what needs to be done through them; they act as mediums for existence and so they also become revealers like Jesus, Buddha etc.
Love & rgds

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Therefore in order to be self-sufficient we need to revive ancient natural medical systems such as Ayurveda. I cured myself from a chronic disease using the I-Ching and Ayurveda. The Vedas reveal a vast amount of knowledge about the ideal way to live in this world.
And yet Ayurveda cannot cure my problems. Neurology appears to be entirely the domain of modern medicine.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
And your canine teeth are good for what?
Do you use your canine teeth when you bite into a piece of steak or chicken? Probably not; chances are you use your premolars for that.

And at the same time, you do use your canine teeth for piercing fruits (apples, peaches, etc), am I right?

There are animals who have canine teeth who are not meat eaters. A good example of this is probably the musk deer:
506407841_9b4e342363.jpg

Additionally, gorillas consume mainly fruit, leaves, seeds and stems, and a tiny (about 3%~5% I think) of bugs like termites. They also have large canine teeth:
article-1163991-03FC9C4A000005DC-870_634x506.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can your technology create rain? I think not. Despite all our pride we are still dependent on God.
In Michigan, we call it "weather". It happens without either chanting or technology.
Tell me now....with my being a low & unfulfilled barbarian, are you an example I could look to as an enlightened being?

I-Ching

Aspiring to Transcendence
Unfortunately cloud seeding still depends on clouds and "And no one, so far, has figured out how to make a cloud." Except God!

Theists still have all their work ahead of them in the 'evidence for god' department.
Every living being is evidence of God

I'm a science teacher and when I explain to my pupils where rain comes from, 'sacrifice' is not a word I use often...
Thats because you are nescience teacher :)

We are primates.
Speak for yourself. An animal is a living being that's life is dedicated to eating, sleeping, mating and defending, even if they have 2 legs. A human being endeavors for self-realization.

Well, make some breakthroughs and I'm sure there is a Nobel Price waiting for you.
Yes they should give God the Nobel prize for designing this creation.

Sounds like Norway actually.
The doctors saved my life some 19 months ago and they charged me nothing.
Don't worry Norway will start charging too when their oil runs out.

I-Ching

In Michigan, we call it "weather". It happens without either chanting or technology.
Tell me now....with my being a low & unfulfilled barbarian, are you an example I could look to as an enlightened being?
How do you know how weather happens? Your senses are very limited.

Not at all. I am the follower of an enlightened being.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Like I said there could a transitional phase, but ultimately I don't think that this technological civilization is going to survive. That is one of the reasons why I think people should start being more agrarian in first place.
At the end of the day the point is to live simply so that we have more time to engage in self-realization.
Living a "simple" agrarian life would doom the majority of the population to never having time engage in self-realization.

Such pursuits were limited to the upper classes/castes who didn't work the fields.
If you want to live simply and have more time for self-realization you should avoid distractions like the internet and television and focus on things that matter to you more.

I personally don't have a T.V and I make it a point to try to limit my computer time as well as taking "no-computer breaks" a few times a year. It's all about balance.

wa:do

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ayurveda was curing people of smallpox in 1500 BCE check on Wiki. I personally cured myself of chronic disease that i suffered with for 8 years with Ayurveda and the I-Ching.
I don't believe you.

I'm referring to sophisticated technology that requires electricity and oil. Which requires large factories to manufacture.

Why is that small farms have collapsed because they can't compete in a modern economy. In order to compete with factory farms you need to be as sophisticated as they are plus they have economies of scale. Self-sufficiency is the only sustainable model.
If the farming model you think is ideal isn't actually practical any more, then it's not sustainable.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Unfortunately cloud seeding still depends on clouds and "And no one, so far, has figured out how to make a cloud." Except God!

Right. We call that 'precipitation' and we know very well how it works.
Didn't you go to school?
No god required.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precipitation_(meteorology)

Also, you asked if our technology could make it rain, not if we could make clouds.
Do you agree that the answer to your question is 'yes'?

Every living being is evidence of God

Errr... No.
You don't even have a working hypothesis yet.
Too early to start collecting evidence.

So, what's you hypothesis regarding the existence of god?

Thats because you are nescience teacher :)

You really live in a world of your own, don't you? :facepalm:

Look, and this is the second time I pose this challenge to you, if you don't think science has contributed at all, stop using it. All of it.
Move into some secluded forrest somewhere, stop using everything from modern clothes, buildings, anything electric or electronic, modern medicine and so on and so forth. Let's see if you have the will to follow through on your convictions.

Speak for yourself. An animal is a living being that's life is dedicated to eating, sleeping, mating and defending, even if they have 2 legs. A human being endeavors for self-realization.

Errr... No. That is not the definition of the word 'animal'.
Need a dictionary mate? :facepalm:

Yes they should give God the Nobel prize for designing this creation.

And we will, just as soon as he starts submitting some articles to peer reviewed journals.

Don't worry Norway will start charging too when their oil runs out.

Norway is not reliant on it's oil for survival, although I'll forgive the mistake since it's a common one.
And even if that was the case, with the expertise we have employed in economic management, it will be a proverbial cold day in hell before we run out of money.
We're not Dubai. ;)

Last edited:

I-Ching

Living a "simple" agrarian life would doom the majority of the population to never having time engage in self-realization.
I disagree. I have seen farmers in India who have lots of time. Your only very busy at harvesting and sowing time. If you keep your needs simple then you don't need to over endeavor for economic advancement.

Such pursuits were limited to the upper classes/castes who didn't work the fields.

In the varnashrama system everyone serves God through their work. So even working the fields is service to God. The whole goal of varnashrama is that all classes advance spiritually. Krishna was a cowherd boy.

I-Ching

Right. We call that 'precipitation' and we know very well how it works.
Didn't you go to school?
No god required.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precipitation_(meteorology)

Also, you asked if our technology could make it rain, not if we could make clouds.
Do you agree that the answer to your question is 'yes'?
"And no one, so far, has figured out how to make a cloud."
I think rain comes from clouds, at least that's what they taught me at school. If your understand of how it works is so thorough then why can't you make clouds?

Errr... No.
You don't even have a working hypothesis yet.
Too early to start collecting evidence.

So, what's you hypothesis regarding the existence of god?
I'll start that in another thread

You really live in a world of your own, don't you? :facepalm:

Look, and this is the second time I pose this challenge to you, if you don't think science has contributed at all, stop using it. All of it.
Move into some secluded forrest somewhere, stop using everything from modern clothes, buildings, anything electric or electronic, modern medicine and so on and so forth. Let's see if you have the will to follow through on your convictions.
But then how could I preach to you :)

Errr... No. That is not the definition of the word 'animal'.
Need a dictionary mate? :facepalm:
So animals don't eat, sleep, mate and defend?

Norway is not reliant on it's oil for survival, although I'll forgive the mistake since it's a common one.
And even if that was the case, with the expertise we have employed in economic management, it will be a proverbial cold day in hell before we run out of money.
We're not Dubai. ;)
Yes Europe is famous for its economic management.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
"And no one, so far, has figured out how to make a cloud."
I think rain comes from clouds, at least that's what they taught me at school. If your understand of how it works is so thorough then why can't you make clouds?

You didn't answer my question, but I'll have the common decency to answer yours: Yes, we can make clouds. Usually though, there is little point in doing so.

I'll start that in another thread

Looking forward to that.
Just remember to read up on what the demands for a working hypothesis actually are.

But then how could I preach to you :)

You'd do better by going out into the woods and show us all that your way works better.

So animals don't eat, sleep, mate and defend?

Sure they do, but that's still not the definition of the word 'animal'.
A stone lies on the ground, but that is not the definition of what a stone is.

Yes Europe is famous for its economic management.

I never said anything about Europe as such.
We were discussing Norway, and our economy is going very well thank you.

I-Ching

You didn't answer my question, but I'll have the common decency to answer yours: Yes, we can make clouds. Usually though, there is little point in doing so.
"And no one, so far, has figured out how to make a cloud." - So your own fox news article was wrong then.

I-Ching

If the farming model you think is ideal isn't actually practical any more, then it's not sustainable.

It not practical right now because your methods depend on tons of oil, but don't worry it will become practical in the future. It is practical in terms of self-sufficiency.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
It not practical right now because your methods depend on tons of oil, but don't worry it will become practical in the future. It is practical in terms of self-sufficiency.
It cannot support 7 billion people, though. You need infrastructure for that.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
"And no one, so far, has figured out how to make a cloud." - So your own fox news article was wrong then.

You asked if we can make rain, and we obviously can.
Your original question was not whether we can make clouds or not.

So, do you agree that the answer to your original question is 'yes'?